Seasonal Changes in the Ovary of the African Lungfish Protopierus annectens (Pices : Sarcopterygii) in the Flood Plains of River Niger in Etsako East Local Government Area of Nigeria
We investigated the gonadosomatic index (GSI), germ cell development, reproductive cycle of the Afriean lungfish Protorierus annecteus (Owen) by histological observations and morphometric data. Samples were collected from the river Orie and its flood of Nigeria, from January to December 2000. The fish is dioecious and oviparous. Monthly changes in the gonadosomatic index (GSI) showed a similar pattern to change in the mean oocyte diameter and the reproductive cycle. The reproductive period occurred from March to July-August; the spawning period was once a year between truly and August, and the main spawning occurred in August when active and voracious feeding occurred during the rainy season. In the resting (dormant) stage after spawning, fish stopped feeding and aestivated during the dry season from December to February. The reproductive cycle of the species can be divided into five successive stages, quiescent stage (March to April), developing/maturing stage (April to lune), ripe/spawning stage (July to August), post-spawning stage (September to November), and resting (dormant) stage (December to February).
- Florey, P. L., 1987. Relationships of lungfish. (in) Biology and Evolution of Lungfish. (eds.) Bemis, W. E., W. W. Burggren and N. E. Kemp, A. R. Liss. New York. 295 pp
- Htun-Han, M., 1978. The reproductive biology of the dab Limanda timanda (L) in the North sea: Seasonal changes in the ovary. J. Fish Biol. 13: 350-359
- Johnnel, A. G., and G. S. O. Svensson, 1954. On the biology of Protopterus annectnes (O). Ark. Zool. 7 :131-164
- Pantin, C. F. A., 1959. Notes on microscopical techniques for zoologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 77pp
- Pen, L. J. and I. C. Potter, 1991. Biology of the western minnow, Galaxias occidentalis (Ogilby) (Teleostei : Galaxiidae), in a south-western Australian river : 1. Reproductive biology. Hydrobiologia, 211 : 77-88
- Wang, S. B. and C. T. Chen, 1989. Reproductive periodicity and gonadal development of the Japanese butter fish, Psenopsis anomata. Bulletin of the Institute of Zoology Academic Sinica (Taipei), 28 : 225-235
- Hyndes, G. A., F. J. Neira and I. C. Proter, 1992. Reproductive biology and early life history of the marine teleost Platycephalus speculator (K) (Platy cephalidae) in a temperate Australian estuary. J. Fish. Biol. 40 : 859-874
- Greenwood, P. H., 1986. The natural history of african lungfishes J. Morph. (suppl.) 6 : 163-179
- Lander, G., and K. Lien, 1983. The evolution and interrelationship of the actinopterygian fishes. Bull. Mas. Comp. Zool. 150 : 95-197
- Nikolsky, G. V., 1963. The ecology of fishes. Academic Press, London and New York. 352 pp
- Rosen, D. E., P. L. Florey, B. G. Gardiner and C. Patterson, 1981. Lungfishes, tetrapods, Palentology and plesiomorphy. Bull. Amer. Mus. Nat. Hist., 167 :159-276
- Grigg, G. G., 1965. Studies on the Queensland lungfish,Neoceratodus fosteri. Aust. J. Zool. 13 : 243-253
- Gunn, J. S., B. D. Bruce, D. M. Furlani, R. E. Threaher and S. J. M. Blader, 1989. Timming and location of spawning of blue grenadier, Macruronus movae zelandiae (Teleostei: Merlucciidae), in Australian coastal waters. Aust. J. Mar. Fresh. Res. 40 : 97-112
- Lien, K. F., 1987. The biology of lungfishes. An epilogque. pp. 299-303. (in) Biology and Evolution of Lungfishes (eds.) Bemis, W. E., W. W. Burggren, N. E. Kemp. A. R. Liss, New York
- Nagahama, Y., 1983. Fish reproduction. (in) Fish Physiology. vol. LXA pp. 223-275. (eds.) Hoar, W. S. R., D. J. Randall and E. M. Danalson. Academic Press, New York
- Young, J. Z., 1981. Lungfish. (in) The Life of Vertebrates 3rd ed., pp.217-224. Oxford University Press, London
- Baer, S., R. D. Halle and T. A. Freyrogel, 1992. Growth of the african lungfish, Protopterus amphibius (Peters). Aquaculture and Fisheries Management 23 :261-265
- Patzner, R. A., M. Seiwald, S. Angerer, E. A. Ferrero and P. G. Giulianimi, 1991. Genital system and reproductive cycle of the male grass goby, Zosterisessor ophiocephalus (Teleostei, Gobiidae), in the northern Adriatic sea. Zoologischer Anzeiger 226 :205-219
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기