Carnitine Content of Common Korean Foods
Carnitine is considered a conditionally essential nutrient because dietary sources may become important under conditions which either reduce biosynthesis or increase urinary excretion of carnitine. Therefore, it is important to have a database for dietary analysis for carnitine content. Because there is limited data available for the carnitine content of Korean foods, this study was undertaken to analyze the total carnitine (TCNE) content of 146 commonly consumed Korean foods. TCNE concentrations were assayed using a modified radioisotopic method. Beef and pork contained 91.09 and 17.21 mg TCNE / 100 g weight, respectively. Fish and shellfish ranged from 0.28 to 24.87 mg TCNE / 100g weight. TCNE concentration in milk was 1.77 mg / 100 mL and cheese was 0.49 mg / 100 g weight. Cereals and pulses contained between 0 and 1.43 mg TCNE / 100 g weight. The TCNE concentration of most fruits and vegetables was between 0 and 0.7 mg 1100 g weight. However, mushrooms contained between 2.77 and 7.02 mg of TCNE / 100 g weight. Soy sauce, soybean paste and fermented red pepper soybean paste contained 1.05, 0.28 and 0.5 mg TCNE / 100 g weight, respectively. These results demonstrate that TCNE concentrations are high in meat, fish, shellfish and milk, but low or non-existent fruits and vegetables. However, mushrooms are a substantial source of vegetable derived TCNE. These data will be useful in establishing a database for determining the TCNE content of Korean diets.
- Brener J. 1983. Carnitine metabolism and function. Physiol Rev 63: 1420-1480
Tanphaichitr V, Broquist HP. 1973. Role of lysine and
$\varepsilon$- N-Trimethyllysine in carnitine biosynthesis. J Biol Chem 248: 2176-2181
- Lombard KA, Olson AL, Nelson SE, Rebouche CJ. 1989. Carnitine status of lactoovovegetarians and strict vegetarian adults and children. Am J Clin Nutr 50: 301-306
- Rebouche CJ. 1992. Carnitine function and requirements during the life cycle. FASEB 6: 3379-3386
- Frenkel RA. 1980. Carnitine biosynthesis, metabolism and function. Academic, New York. p1-356
- Rebouche CJ, Engel AG. 1983. Carnitine metabolism and deficiency syndrome. Mayo Clin Proc 58: 533-540
- Walter Lubrck. 2000. L-carnitine. LOTUS PRESS SHANGRI- LA
- Giovannini M, Agostoni C, Salari PC. 1991. Is carnitine essential in children? J Inter Med Res 19: 83-102
- Cerrerelli P, Marconi C. 1990. L-carnitine supplementation in humans. The effects on physical performance. Physiol Biochem 11: 1-14
- Borum PR. 1983. Carnitine. Annu Rev Nutr 3: 233-259
- Delany JP, Snook JT, Vivian VM, Cashmere K. 1986. Metabolic effect of a carnitine free diet fed to college students. Fed Proc 45: 815 (abstract)
- Rebouche CJ, Chenard CA. 1991. Metabolic fate of dietary carnitine in human adults: identification and quantification of urinary and fecal metabolites. J Nutr 54: 814-820
- Cederblad G. 1987. Effect of diet on plasma carnitine levels and urinary carnitine excretion in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 45: 725-729
- Tanphaichitr V, Lerdvuthisopon N, Dhanamitta S, Broquist HP. 1980. Carnitine status in Thai adults. Am J Clin Nutr 33: 876-880
- Khan-Siddiqui L, Banji MS. 1980. Plasma carnitine levels in adult males in India: effects of high cereal, low fat diet, fat supplementation, and nutrition status. Am J Clin Nutr 33: 1259-1263
- Cederblad G, Lindstedt S. 1972. A method for the determination of carnitine in the picomole range. Clin Chem Acta 37: 235-243
- Sachan DS, Rhew TH. 1984. Ameliorating effects of carnitine and its precursors on alcohol-induced fatty liver. Am J Clin Nutr 39: 738-744
- Rebouche CJ, Engel AG. 1984. Kinetic compartmental analysis of carnitine metabolism in the human carnitine deficiency syndromes. J Clin Invest 73: 857-867
- Gustavsen HSM. 2000. Bestimmung des L-carnitingehaltes in rohen und zubereiteten pflanzlichen und tierischen lebensmitteln. PhD Dissertation. The University of Hannover, Germany
- Panter RA, Mudd JB. 1969. Carnitine levels in some higher plants. FEBS LETTERS 5: 169-170
- Mitchell ME. 1978. Carnitine metabolism in human subjects I. Normal metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 31: 293-306
- NDSL :
- 한국식품영양과학회 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기