Gamma-Irradiation Provides Microbiological Protection While Maintaining Sensory Quality Change of Fresh Kale Juice During Storage
The effect of gamma-irradiation on microbiological growth in kale juice during storage was studied. Fresh kale juice was prepared and irradiated at 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 kGy. D values for total bacteria, yeast and mold, Salmonella, E. coli, and Pseudomonas were 3.6, 4.0, 3.2, 1.4, and 1.6 kGy, respectively. E. coli and Pseudomonas were eliminated completely at 5 and 7 kGy, respectively. Gamma-irradiation also reduced total viable bacteria during storage. Therefore, these results indicate gamma-irradiation can prevent microbial spoilage of fresh kale juice by inactivating pathogenic microorganisms.
- Chung M, Lee S, Sung N. 2002. Inhibitory effect of wholestrawberries, garlic juice or kale juice on endogenous for-mation of N-nitrosodimethylamine in humans. Cancer Let-ters 182: 1-10
- Hertog MGL, Hollman PCH, Katan MB. 1992. Content of potentially anticarcinogenic flavonoids of 28 vegetables and 9 fruits commonly consumed in the Netherlands. J AgricFood Chem 40: 2379-2383
- Deschner EE, Ruperto J, Wong G, Newmark HL. 1991.Quercetin and rutin as inhibitors of azoxymethanol-induced colonic neoplasia. J Agric Food Chem 40: 2379-2383
- Buchanan RL, Edelson SG, Snipes K, Boyd G. 1998. Inac-tivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in apple juice by ir-radiation. Appl Environ Microbiol 64: 4533-4535
- Prakash A, Inthajak P, Huibregtse H, Caporaso F, Foley DM.2000. Effects of low-dose gamma irradiation and conven-tional treatments on shelf life and quality characteristics of diced celery. Sensory Nutr Qual Food 65: 1070-1075
- Thayer DW, Josephson ES, Brynjolfesson A, Giddings G. 1996. Radiation pasteurization of food. Issue paper No. 7.Ames, Iowa: Council of Agr Sci Tech
- Thomas P. 1988. Radiation preservation of foods of plantorigin. CRC Critical Reviews in Food Sci Nutr 26: 313-358
- Howard LR, Miller GH, Wagner AB. 1995. Microbiological,chemical, and sensory changes in irradiated Pico De Gallo.J Food Sci 60: 461-464
- Chervin C, Boisseau P. 1994. Quality maintenance of ready-to-eat shredded carrots by gamma irradiation. J Food Sci 59: 359-361
- Clavero MRS, Monk JD, Beuchat LR, Doyle MP, Brackett RE. 1994. Inactivation of Escherichia coli 0157:H7, Sal-monellae, and Campylobacter jejuni in raw ground beef bygamma irradiation. Am Soc Microbiol 60: 2069-2075
- Steenstrup LL, Floros JD. 2002. Statistical modeling of D-and z-value of E. coli 0157:H7 and pH in apple cider containing preservatives. Food Microbiol Safety 67: 793-796
저자의 다른 논문
- NDSL :
- 한국식품영양과학회 : 저널
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기