Antioxidant Activity of (8E,13Z,20Z)-Strobilinin/(7E,13Z,20Z)-Felixinin from a Marine Sponge Psammocinia sp.
During the course of our screening for bioactive metabolites from marine sponges, EZZ, the inseparable 1:1 mixture of (8E,13Z,20Z)-strobilinin and (7E,13Z,20Z)-felixinin has been found to deliver significant cytotoxicity against some cancer cell lines. In this study, the antioxidant activity of EZZ was first time evaluated by a series of antioxidant assays. It was found that EZZ was weak in scavenging the stable free radical 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhyrazyl (DPPH), but it was comparable to ascorbic acid in scavenging ABTS and superoxide radicals. In addition, EZZ could protect DNA from hydroxyl radical-induced strand cleavage. The findings of the present study suggest that EZZ possess certain antioxidant activity, which might help to prevent occurrence of cancer by alleviating the oxidative stress in cells.
- Block, KI., Antioxidants and cancer therapy: Furthering the debate. Integr Cancer Ther. 3, 342-348 (2004)
- Choi, K.T., Hong, J.K., Lee, CO., Kim, D.K., Sim, C.J., Im, KS., and lung, J.H., Cytotoxic furanosesterterpenes from a marine sponge Psammocinia W J. Nat. Prod. 67, 1186-1189 (2004a)
- Halliwell, B. and Gutteridge, M.C, Formation of a thiobarbituricacid- reactive substance from deoxyribose in the presence of iron salts: The role of superoxide and hydroxyl radicals. FEBS Lett. 128, 347-352 (1981)
- Kirby, A.J. and Schmidt, R.J., The antioxidant activity of Chinese herbs for eczema and placebo herbs-I. 1. Ethnophannacol. 56, 103-108 (1997)
- Miller, N.J., Castelluccio, C, Tijburg, L., and Rice-Evans, CA., The antioxidant properties of thioflavines and their gallate esters-radical scavengers or metal chelator. FEBS Letts. 392, 40-44 (1996)
- Miller, N.J., Rice-Evans, CA., Davies, M.J., Gopinathan, V, and Milner, A, A novel method for measuring antioxidant capacity and its application to monitoring the antioxidant status in premature neonates. Clin. Sci. 84,407-412 (1993)
- Cottelle, N., Bernier, J.L., Catteau, J.P, Pommery, P, Wallet, J.C, and Gadou, E.M., Antioxidant properties of hydroxyl-flavones. Free Radic. BioI. Med. 20, 35-43 (1996)
- Wang, H., Cao, G., and Prior, R.L., Total antioxidant capacity of fruits. J. Agric. Food Chem. 44, 701-705 (1996)
- Keum, Y.S., Park, K.K., Lee, J.M., Chun, KS., Park, J.H., Lee, S.K, Kwon, H., and Surh, YJ., Antioxidant and anti-tumor promoting activities of the methanol extract of heat-processed ginseng. Cancer Lett. 150, 41-48 (2000)
- Borek, C, Dietary antioxidants and human cancer. Integr Cancer Ther. 3, 333-341 (2004)
- Liu, F. and Ng, T.B., Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of selected medicinal herbs. Life Sci. 66, 725-735 (2000)
- Hochstein, P and Atallah, A.S., The nature of oxidants and antioxidant systems in the inhibition of mutation and cancer. Mutat. Res. 202, 363-375 (1988)
- Rice-Evans, CA and Miller, N.J., Antioxidants-the case for fruit and vegetables in the diet. Brit. Food J. 97, 35-40 (1995)
- Cerutti, P.A., Oxidant stress and carcinogenesis. Eur. J. Clin. Invest. 21, I-II (1991)
- Rice-Evans, CA, Miller, N.J., and Paganga, G., Structureantioxidant activity relationships of flavonoids and phenolic acids. Free Radic. Bioi. Med. 20, 933-956 (1996)
- Choi, H.J., Kim, N.D., Jung, J.H., and Choi, YH., Regulation of Bcl-2 family and cyclooxygenases by Furanoterpenoids isolated from a marine sponge Sarcotragus sp. in human lung cancer A549 cells. J. Life Sci. 14,445-452 (2004b)
- Re, R., Pellegrini, N., Proteggente, A, Pannala, A, Yang, M., and Rice Evans, C, Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorized assay. Free Radic. Bioi. Med. 26, 1231-1237 (1999)
- Finkel, T. and Holbrook, N.J., Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of aging. Nature 408, 239-247 (2000)
저자의 다른 논문
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기