A Further Study on the Inhibition of Tumor Growth and Metastasis by Red Ginseng Acidic Polysaccharide (RGAP)
We have recently reported that red ginseng acidic polysaccharide (RGAP), isolated from Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer), showed immunomodulatory antitumor activities, mainly mediated by nitric oxide (NO) production by macrophage. In this study, we examined the effect of RGAP on anticancer activity using lung carcinoma 3LL, sarcoma 180 and adenocarcinoma JC tumor cells transplanted into mice as well as antimetastatic activity using B16-F10 melanoma. When RGAP (300 mg/kg) were treated to mice implanted with one of the three kinds of tumor cells, the tumor weight significantly decreased compared with control mice. Tumor inhibition ratios of RGAP (300 mg/kg) in mice transplanted with lung carcinoma 3LL, sarcoma 180 and adenocarcinoma JC cells were 26.8%, 29.3% and 31.6%, respectively. Hundred mg/kg of RGAP did not cause a significant decrease in tumor weight compared with control group. When RGAP was administered i.p. with the dose of 100 and 300 mg/kg in B16-F10 melanoma-bearing mice, lung metastasis were reduced significantly in mice. Corrected phagocytic index was also remarkably increased by RGAP. These results suggest that stimulation of phagocytic activity of macrophages may be a mechanism for in vivo anticancer and antimetastasis activities of RGAP.
- Biozzi, G., Benacerraf. B., Stiffel, C, and Halpern, B.N., Quantitative study of the granulopetic activity of the reticuloendotherial system. Br. J. Exp. Patho. 34, 447-452 (1954)
- Hibbs, J.B., Taintor, R. R., Chapman, H.A., and Weinberg, J.B., Macriphage tumor killing: Influence of the local environment. Science 197, 279-282 (1977)
- Julian, R.O., and Varner, K.A., Adhesion molecules in cancer: the role of integrins. Curr. Opin. Cell BioI. 5, 812-818 (1993)
- Kastelan, Z., Pasini, J., Derezic, D., Lukac, J., Kusic, Z., Mrazovac, D., Sosic, H., and Kastelan, M., Immunocompetence in nonseminomatous testicular cancer patients before any treatment and one year after completion of therapy. Anticancer Res. 24, 3251-3255 (2004)
- Park, K.M., Kim, Y.S., Jeong, T.C., Joe, C.O., Shin, H.J., Lee, Y.H., Nam, K.Y and Park, J.D., Nitric oxide is involved in the immunomodulating activities of acidic polysaccharide from Panax ginseng. Planta Med. 67, 122-126 (2001)
- Murphy, G., and Docherty, A.J., The matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors. Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Bioi. 7, 120-125 (1992)
- Kohn, E.C., and Liotta, L.A., Molecular insights into cancer invasion: strategies for prevention and intervention. Cancer Res. 55, 1856-1862 (1995)
- Hamilton, TA., and Adans, D.O., Mechanisms of macrophagemediated tumor injury. In: Tumor Immunology-Mechanisms, Diagnosis, Therapy. W. Den Otter and E. J. Ruitenberg, eds Elsevier Science Publishers, New York, NY, p.89 (1987)
- Yano, T., Yokoyama, H., and Inoue, T., The first site of recurrence after complete resection in non-small-cell carcinoma of the lung. Comparison between pNO disease and pN2 disease. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 108, 680-683 (1994)
- Albelda, S.M., Role of integrins and other cell adhesion molecules in tumor progression and metastasis. Lab. Investig. 68, 4417 (1993)
- Kwak, Y.S., Shin, H.J., Song, Y.E., and Park, J.D., Isolation of immunomodulatory antitumor active polysaccharide (RGAP) from red ginseng by-product and its physico-chemical properties. J. Koran Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32, 752-757 (2003).
- Kim, Y.S., Park, K.M., Shin, H.J, Song, K.S., Nam, K.Y, and Park, J.D., Anticancer activities of red ginseng acidic polysaccharide by activation of macrophages and natural killer cells. Yakhnk Hoeji.46, 113-119 (2002)
- Fry, W.A., Menck, H.R, and Winchester, D.P., The national cancer data base report on lung cancer. Cancer 77, 1947-1955 (1996)
- Chihara, G., Suga, T, Hamuro, J., Takasuka, N., Maeda, Y.K., Sasaki, T, and Shiio, T, Antitumor and metastasis-inhibitory activities of Lentinan as an immunomodulator. Cancer Detection and Prevention Supplement 1, 423-443 (1987)
- Park, K.M., Jeong, T.c., Kim, Y.S., Shin, H.J., Nam, K.Y and Park, J.D., Immunomodulatory effect of acidic polysaccharide fraction from Korean red ginseng. Natural Product Sciences. 6,31-35 (2000)
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2008. "" Journal of ginseng research = 高麗人參學會誌, 32(1): 73~78
- Choi, You-Jin ; Hwang, Keum-Hee 2011. "Analysis of the Extraction Condition of Soluble Acidic Polysaccharides from Ginseng Marc" 생약학회지, 42(1): 82~88
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기