Characterization of Acetoxyscirpendiol of Paecilomyces tenuipes as Inhibitor of Sodium Glucose Co-transporters Expressed in Xenopus laevis Oocytes
Cordyceps possesses numerous health-promoting ingredients including hypoglycemic agents. The mechanism for the reduction of circulatory sugar content, however, is still not fully understand. In this study, 4-beta acetoxyscirpendiol (ASD) was purified from the methanolic extracts from fruiting bodies of Paecilomyces tenuipes. Na+/Glucose transporter-1 (SGLT-1) was expressed in the Xenopus oocytes. The effect of ASD on the oocyte expressed SGLT-1 was analyzed utilizing the voltage clamp and 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DOG) uptake studies. ASD was shown to significantly inhibit SGLT-1 activity compared to the non-treated control in a dose- dependent manner. In the presense of its two derivatives (diacetoxyscirpenol or 15-acetoxyscirpendiol), SGLT-1 activity was greatly inhibited similarly as ASD. Between ASD derivatives, 15-acetoxyscirepenol showed inhibition equivalent to that of ASD while diacetoxyscirpenol did less degree of inhibition. Insummary , these results strongly indicate that ASD in P. tenuipes may serve as a functional substance in lowering blood sugar in the circulatory system. ASD and its derivatives can be utilized as inhibitors of SGLT-1.
- Doege, H., Bocianski, A., Joost, H.G., and Schurmann, A. (2000). Activity and genomic organization of human glucose transporter 9 (GLUT9), a novel member of the family of sugartransport facilitators predominantly expressed in brain and leukocytes. Biochem. J. 350, 771-776
- Due, A.D., Qu, Z.C., and Thomas, J.M. (1995). Role of the C-terminal tail of the SGLT-l glucose transporter in its expression and function in Xenopus laevis oocytes. Biochemistry 34, 5462-5471
- Jones, K (1997). Cordyceps, Tonic Food of Ancient China, Sylvan Press, Seattle, Washington, pp.52-61
- Juan, M.P., Dong, W., Beatriz, L., Hong, Y., Xia M., Ru, Y., and Darryl, C., (2004) GLUTI deficiency and other glucose transporter diseases. Eur. J. of Endocrin., 150, 627-633
- Kiho, T., Ookubo, K, Usui, S., Ukai, S., Hirano, K (1999) Structural features and hypoglycemic activity of a polysaccharide (CS-FlO) from the cultured mycelium of Cordyceps sinenesis. BioI. Pharm. Bull. 22, 966-970
- Kikuchi, H., Miyagawa, Y., Sahashi, Y., Inatomi, S., Haganuma, A., Nakahata, N., and Oshima, Y. (2004). Novel Spirocyclic Trichothecanes, Spirotenuipesine A and B, Isolated from Entomopathogenic Fungus, Paecilomyces tenuipes. J. Org. Chem.69(2), 352-356
- Kirwan, J. P., and del Aguila, L. F. (2003). Insulin signaling, exercise and cellular integrity. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 31, 1281-1285
- Konno, S., Tortorelis, D.G., Fullerton, S.A., Samadi, A.A., Hettiarachchi, J. and Tazaki, H. (2001) Possible hypoglycemic effect of Maitake mushroom on Type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetic Medicine, 18, 1010-1015
- Lee, D.H. and Kim H.W. (2004) Inhibition of GLUT-l expressed in Xenopus laevis Oocytes by acetoxyscirpendiol of p. tenuipes. J. of Applied Phamocology 12(2), 74-78
- Lee, D.H. (1998). Characterization of 27K zein as a transmembrane protein. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 31(2), 196-200
- Lee, D.H., Selester, B., and Pedersen, K. (1995). Free movement of 27K zein in the endoplasmic reticulum. Protein Eng. 9,91-96
- MandaI, A., Verri, T., MandaI, PK, Storelli, C., and Ahearn, GA (2003) Expression of Na(+) /D-glucose cotransport in Xenopus laevis oocytes by injection of poly(A)(+) RNA isolated from lobster (Homarus americanus) hepatopancreas. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr PhysioL 135(3),467-75
- Nam, K.S., Jo, Y.S., Kim, Y.H., Hyun, J.W., and Kim, H.W. (2001). Cytotoxic activities of acetoxyscirpenediol and ergosterol peroxide from Paecilomyces tenuipes. Life Sci. 69(2), 229-237
- Oulianova, N., Falk, S., and Berteloot, A .(200l) Two-step mechanism of phroridzin binding to the SGLTl protein in the kidney. J. Membrane BioI. 179,223-242
- Rudlowski C, Becker AJ, Schroder W, Rath W, Buttner R, and Moser M. (2003). GLUTl messenger RNA and protein induction relates to the malignant transformation of cervical cancer. Am J Clin PatholI 20(5), 691-698
- Rumsey, S. C., Daruwala, R., AI-Hasani, H., Zarnowski, M. J., Simpson, I. A., and Levine, M. (2003). Dehydroascorbic acid transport by GLUT4 in Xenopus oocytes and isolated rat adipocytes. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 28246-28253
- Talpur NA, Echard BW, Fan AY, Jaffari O, Bagchi D., and Preuss HG (2002) Antihypertensive and metabolic effects of whole Mitake mushroom powder and its fractions in two rat strains. Mol Cell Biochem. 237, 129-136
- Wood, I.S., and Trayhurn P. (2003) Glucose transporters (GLUT and SGLT): expanded families of sugar transport proteins. Br. 1. Nutr. 89(1), 3-9
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기