A Possible Role of Trehalose as a Regulatory Molecule in Plant Drought Resistance
In many organisms, trehalose has been Down as an energy source and a protectant against various environmental stresses such as desiccation, freezing, heat and osmotic pressure. Previously, we have isolated and characterized the genes encoding trehalose-6-phosphate synthase (ZrTPS1) and trehalose-6-phosphate phosphatase (ZrTPS2) from one of the most osmotolerant yeasts, Zygosaccharomyces rouxii. We have also generated transgenic plants by co-introduction of ZrTPS2 and ZrTPS2 into potato plant (ZrTPS2-2A-ZrTPS1 plant) in an attempt to metabolically engineer trehalose in the transgenic plant using the foot-and-mouth disease virus(FMDV) 2A system and to generate drought resistant crop plants. In this research, we assayed previously generated the ZrTPS2-2A-ZrTPS1 plant biofunctionally by drought treatment, and measured the amount of trehalose in the ZrTPS2-2A-ZrTPS1 transgenic plants. The ZrTPS2-2A-ZrTPS1 transgenic plant showed strong drought resistance in spite of little or no accumulation of transgenic in he transgenic plant compared with control plant.
- Elbein, A. D. (1974) The metabolism of a,a-treha1ose,Adv. Carbohydr. Chem. Biochem. 30, 227-256
- Thevelein, J. M (1984) Regulation of trehalose mobili-zation in fungi, Microbiot. Rev. 48, 42-59
- Crowe, J. H., Crowe, L. M. and Chapman, D. (1984) Preservation of membrane in anhydrobiotic organism:the role of trehalose, Science 223, 701-703
- Crowe, J. H., Carpenter, J. F., Crowe, L. M and Anch-ordoguy, T. J. (1990) Are freezing and dehydrationsimilar stress factors? A companson of modes of inter-acdon of stabilizing solutes with biomolecules, Cryob-iotogy 27, 219-231
- Heutherio, E. C, Araujo, P. S. and Panek, A. D. (1993)Role of the trehalose carrier in dehydration resistance ofSaccharormyces cerevisiae, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1156, 263-266
- Gelinas, P, Feset, G, LeDuy, A. and Goulet, J. (1989)Effect of growth conditions and trehalose content on cryotolerance of bakers' yeast in frozen drought, Appl.Environ. Mirobiol. 55, 2453-2459
- Iwahashi, H, Obuchi, K., Fuji, S. and Komatsu, Y.(1995) The correlative evidence suggesting that trehalose stabilizes membrane-structure in yeast Saccharormyces cere-visiae, Cell Mol. Biol. 41, 763-769
- De virgilio, C, Hottiger, T., Dominguez, J., Boller, T.and Wiemken, A. (1994) The role of trehalose synthesis for the acquisition of thermotolerance in yeast, I. Gen-etic evidence that trehalose is a thermoprotectant, Eur. J.Biochem. 13, 179-186
- De virgilio, C, Piper, P., Boller, T. and Wiemken, A.(1991) Acquisition of thermotolerance in Sacchccromyces cerevisiae without heat shock protein hsp104 and in the absence of protein synthesis, FEBS Lett. 288, 86-90
- Pardo, C, Lapena, M. A. and Gacto, M. (1991) On the role of trehalose in yeast cells subjected to hyperos-motic shock, Microbiologia 7, 42-48
- Cabib, E. and Leloir, L. F. (1958) The biosynthesis of trehalose phosphate, J. Biol. Chem. 231, 259-275
- Kwon, H. B., Yeo, E. T., Han, S. E., Bae, S. C, Kim, D.Y. and Byun, M. O. (2003) Cloning and characterization of genes encoding trehalose-6-phosphate synthase (TPSl) and trehalose-6-phosphate phosphatase (TPS2) from Zyg-osaccharomyces rouxii, FEMS Yeast Research 1557, 1-8
- Yeo, E. T., Kwon, H. B., Lee, J. T., Ryu, J. C and Byun, M. O. (2000) Genetic engineering of drought resistant potato plants by introduction of the treha-lose-6-phosphate synthase (TPSl) gene from Saccharom-yces cerevisiae, Molecules and Cells 10, 263-268
- Romero, C, Belles, J. M, Vaya, J. L, Serrano, M and trehalose-6-phosphate synthase gene in transgenic tobacco plats: pleiotropic phenotype indude drought resis-tance, Planta 201, 293-297
- Pilon-Smits, E. A. H., Terry, N., Sears, T., Kim, H.,Zayed, A., Hwang, S., van Dun, K., Voogd, E, Verw-oerd, T. C., Krutwagen, R. W. (1998) Trehalose produ-ong transgenic tobacco plants showed improved growth performance under drought stress, J. Plant Physiol. 152,525-532
- Goddijn, O. J. M, Verwoerd, T. C., Voogd, E., Krutwagen, R. T. H., Graff, P. T. H,, Poels, J, van Dun, K.,Ponstein, A. S., Damm, B. and Pen, J. (1997) Inhibition of trehalose activity enhances trehalose accumulation in transgenic plants, Ptant Physiol. 113, 181-190
저자의 다른 논문
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기