Mean Flow and Variability in the Upper Portion of the East Sea Proper Water in the southwestern East Sea with APEX Floats
Drift data from 17 Argo profiling floats in the East Sea are used to understand the mean flow and its variability in the upper portion of the East Sea Proper Water (UESPW) (around 800 m). The flow penetrates into the Ulleung basin (UB) through two paths: an extension of the southward flowing of the North Korean Cold Water along the east coast of Korea and between Ulleung Island and Dok island. Flows at 800 m are observed in the range of from 0.2 to 4.29 cms-1 and the variability in the north of the UB is larger than that in the south of the UB. In the UB, cyclonic flows from 0.3 to 1.6 cms-1 are observed with the bottom topography. We found that the mean kinetic energy (MKE) and the mean eddy kinetic energy (EKE) are 1.3 and 2.1 cm2s-2 respectively.
- Sudo, H., 1986, A note on the Japan Sea Proper Water, Prog. Oceanogr., 17, 313-336.
- Senjyu, T. and H. Sudo, 1993, Water characteristics and circulation of the upper portion of the Japan Sea Proper Water, J. Mar. Sys., 4, 349-362.
- Danchenkov, M. A., 2001, Preface for proceedings of CREAMS'2000 international symposium, Vlasivostok, 307pp.
- Kim, C. H. and J. Y. Yoon, 1999, A numerical modeling of the upper and the intermediate layer circulation in the East Sea, J. Oceanogr., 55, 327-345.
- Kim, K., K. R. Kim, Y. G. Kim, Y. K. Cho, J. Y. Chung, B. H. Choi, S. K. Byun, G. H. Hong, M. Takematsu, J. H. Yoon, Y. Volkov and M. Danchenkov, 1996, New findings from CREAMS observations: water masses and eddies in the East Sea, J. Kor. Soc. Oceanogr., 31(4), 155-163.
- Kim, K., Y. G. Kim, Y. K. Cho, M. Takematsu and Y. Valkov, 1999, Basin-to basin and year-to-year variation of temperature and salinity characteristics in the East Sea (Sea of Japan), J. Oceanogr., 55, 103-109.
- Kim, Y. G., 1996, A study on the water characteristics and the circulation of the intermediate and deep layer of the East Sea, Ph. D. Thesis, Seoul National Univ., 113pp.
- Kim, Y. G. and K. Kim, 1999, Intermediate waters in the East/Japan Sea, J. Oceanogr., 55, 123-132.
- Takematsu, M., 1999, Foreward to CREAMS Volume, J. Oceanogr., 55, 101.
- Yoon, J. H. and H. Kawamura, 2002, The formation and cirulation of the intermediate water in the Japan Sea, J. Oceanogr., 58, 197-211.
- Chang, K. I., N. G. Hogg, M. S. Suk, S. K. Byun, Y. G. Kim and K. Kim, 2002, Mean flow and variability in the southwestern East Sea, Deep-Sea Res., 49, 2261-2279.
- Lie, H. J., M. S. Suk and C. H. Kim, 1989, Observations of southward deep currents off the East coast of Korea, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 24, 63-68.
- Shin, H. R, H. S. An, J. G. Lee, 2001, Deep water circulation in the south East Sea, Proc. 2001 Fall Meeting Kor. Earth Scien. Society, 54pp.
- Shin, H. R, T. Senjyu, J. Y. Youn, H. S. An, S. K. Byun and J. G. Lee, 2002, The Circulation of the deep water in the East Sea, 1st Argo worlshop proceeding, Jeju, Korea, 41-42pp.
- Davis, R. E., J. T. Sherman and J. Dufour, 2001, Profiling ALACEs and other advances in autonomous surface floats, J. Atmos. Oceanic. Technol., 18, 982-993.
- Davis, R. E., D. C. Webb, L. A. Regier and J. Dufour, 1992, The Autonomous Lagrangian Circulation Explorer (ALACE), J. Atmos. Oceanic. Technol.. 9, 264-285.
- Davis, R. E., P. D. Killworth and J. R. Blundell, 1996, Comparison of Autonomous Lagrangian Circulation Explorer ad fine resolution Antarctic model results in the South Atlantic, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 855-884.
- Rossby, T., D. Dorson and J. Fontaine, 1986, The RAFORS System, J. Atmos. Oceanic. Technol., 3, 672-679.
- Swift, D. D and S. C. Riser, 1994, RAFOS Floats: Defining and Targeting Surfaces of Natural Buoyancy, J. Atmos. Oceanic. Technol., 11, 1079-1092.
- Richardson, P. L. and W. J. Schmitz, 1993, Deep cross-equatorial flow in the Atlantic measured with SOFAR floats, J. Geophys. Res., 98, 8371-8387.
- Schmid, C., R. L. Molinari and S. L. Garzoli, 2001, New observations of the intermediate depth circulation in the tropical Atlantic, J. Marin. Res., 59, 281-312.
- Park, J. J., 2001, Deep Currents from APEX in the East Sea, Ms. D. Thesis, Seoul National Univ., 82pp.
- Danchenkov, M. A., S. C. Riser and J. H. Yoon, 2003, Deep currents of the central sea of Japan, Pacific Oceanogr., 1(1), 6-11.
- Park, J. J., K. Kim, B. A. King and S. C. Riser, 2003, An advanced method to estimate deep currents from Profiling Floats, 1st Argo Science Workshop, Tokyo, Japan, 57pp.
- CLS/Service, 1996, Argos, Users Manual 1.0.
- Seung, Y. H., 1992, A simple model for separation for east Korean warm current and formation of north Korean cold current, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 27(3), 189-196.
- McClean, J. L., P. M. Poulain and J. W. Pelton, 2002, Eulerian and Lagrangian statistics from surface drifters and a high-resolution POP simulation in the North Atlantic, J. Physi. Oceanogr., 32, 2472-2491.
- Kundu, P. K. and J. S. Allen, 1976, Some three-dimensional characteristics of low-frequency current fluctuations near the Oregon coast, J. Physi. Oceanogr., 6, 181-199.
- Emery, W. S. and R. E. Thomso, 1998, Data Analysis Methods in zPhysical Oceanography, Pergamon, 624pp.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기