Simulations of Capacitively Coupled Plasmas Between Unequal-sized Powered and Grounded Electrodes Using One- and Two-dimensional Fluid Models
We have examined a technique of one-dimensional (1D) fluid modeling for radio-frequency Ar capacitively coupled plasmas (CCP) between unequal-sized powered and grounded electrodes. In order to simulate a practical CCP reactor configuration with a grounded side wall by the 1D model, it has been assumed that the discharge space has a conic frustum shape; the grounded electrode is larger than the powered one and the discharge space expands with the distance from the powered electrode. In this paper, we focus on how much a 1D model can approximate a 2D model and evaluate their comparisons. The plasma density calculated by the 1D model has been compared with that by a two-dimensional (2D) fluid model, and a qualitative agreement between them has been obtained. In addition, 1D and 2D calculation results for another reactor configuration with equal-sized electrodes have also been presented together for comparison. In the discussion, four CCP models, which are 1D and 2D models with symmetric and asymmetric geometries, are compared with each other and the DC self-bias voltage has been focused on as a characteristic property that reflects the unequal electrode surface areas. Reactor configuration and experimental parameters, which the self-bias depends on, have been investigated to develop the ID modeling for reactor geometry with unequal-sized electrodes.
- Boeuf J. P. and Pitchford L. C., 'Two-dimensional model of a capacitively coupled rf discharge and comparisons with experiments in the Gaseous Electronics Conference reference reactor', Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 51, pp. 1376-1390, 1995
- Joon-Yub Kim, 'A New Sustain Driving Method for AC PDP: Charge-Controlled Driving Method', KIEE Int. Trans. on EA, Vol. 2-C, No. 5, pp. 292-296, 2002
- Herrebout D., Bogaerts A., Yan M., Gijbels R., Goedheer W. and Vanhulsel A., ' Modeling of a capacitively coupled radio-frequency methane plasma; Comparison between a one-dimensional and a two-dimensional fluid model', J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 92, pp. 2290-2295, 2002
- Scharfetter D. L. and Gummel G. K., IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. ED-16, pp. 64-77, 1969
- Overzet L. J. and Hopkins M. B., 'Spatial variations in the charge density of argon discharges in the Gaseous Electronics Conference reference reactor', Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 63, pp. 484-486, 1993
- Richards A. D., Thompson B. E. and Sawin H. H., 'Continuum modeling of argon radio frequency glow discharges', Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 50, pp. 492-494, 1987
- Kohler K., Coburn J. W., Horne D. E., Kay E. and Keller J. H., 'Plasma potentials of 13.56MHz rf argon glow discharges in a planar system, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 57, pp. 59-66, 1985
- Barnes M. S., Colter T. J. and Elta M. E., 'Largesignal time-domain modeling of low-pressure rf glow dishcarges', J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 61, pp. 81-89, 1987
- Joon-Yub Kim and Jong-Sik Lim, 'Current-Controlled Driving Method for AC PDP and Experimental Characterization', KIEE Int. Trans. on EA, Vol. 2-C, No. 5, pp. 253-257, 2002
- Golant V. E., 'Coefficient of ionization and mobility of electrons in argon', Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., Vol. 4, pp. 680-682, 1959
- Bogaerts A., Neyts E., Gijbels R. and van der Mullen J., 'Gas discharge plasmas and their applications', Spectrochimica Acta Pt. B: At. Spectrosc., Vol. 57, pp. 609-658, 2002
- Soon-Youl So, Oda A., Sugawara H. and Sakai Y., 'Transient behavior of CF4 rf plasmas after step changes of power source voltage', J. Phys. D, Vol. 34, pp. 1919-1927, 2001
Rauf S. and Kushner M. J., 'Argon metastable densities in radio frequency Ar, Ar/
$O_2$and Ar/ $CF_4$electrical discharge', J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 82, pp. 2805-2813, 1997
- Ward A. L., 'Effect of Space Charge in Cold-Cathode Gas Discharges', Phys. Rev., Vol. 112, pp. 1852-1857, 1958
McMillin K. B. and Zachariah M. K., 'Twodimensional laser-induced fluorescence imaging of metastable density in low-pressure radio frequency argon plasmas with added
$O_2$, $Cl_2$, and $CF_4$', J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 79, pp. 77-85, 1996
- Gogolides E., Stathakopoulos M. and Boudouvis A., 'Modelling of radio frequency plasmas in tetrafluoromethane: the gas phase physics and the role of negative ion detachment', J. Phys. D, Vol. 27, pp. 1878-1886, 1994
- Youl-Moon Sung, Hee-Je Kim and Chung-Hoo Park, 'Laser Thomson Scattering Measurements and Modelling on the Electron Behavior in a Magnetic Neutral Loop Discharge Plasma', KIEE Int. Trans. on EA, Vol. 11C, No. 4, pp. 107-112, 2001
- Lowke J. J. and Davies D. K., 'Properties of electric discharges sustained by a uniform source of ionization', J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 48, pp. 4991-5000, 1977
- Ho-Jun Lee, Dong-Hyun Kim and Chung-Hoo Park, 'A Two-dimensional Steady State Simulation Study on the Radio Frequency Inductively Coupled Argon Plasma', KIEE Int. Trans. on EA, Vol. 2-C, No. 5, pp. 246-252, 2002
- Kulikovsky A. A., 'A More Accurate Scharfetter-Gummel Algorithm of Electron Transport for Semiconductor and Gas Discharge Simulation', J. Comp. Phys., Vol. 119, pp. 149-155, 1995
Sato N. and Shida Y., 'Two Dimensional Fluid Model of RF Plasmas in
$SiH_4$/Ar Mixtures', Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 36, pp. 4794-4798, 1997
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기