Adaptive EY-NPMA: A Medium Access Protocol for Wireless LANs
Wireless local area networks have known an increasing popularity during the past few years. However, as new user applications diverge from the traditional data-centric model, the introduction of efficient, QoS aware medium access methods becomes of utmost importance. EY-NPMA is a medium access protocol belonging to the contention paradigm that provides support for service differentiation and low collision rates. In this paper, we address a shortcoming of EY-NPMA as indicated by previous studies, namely the insensitivity of the protocol to different working conditions. In this work, we study and evaluate a mechanism that allows a network employing EY-NPMA to adapt its operating parameters according to the offered load. Simulation studies further document and confirm the positive characteristics of the proposed mechanism.
- P. Karn, 'MACA - a new channel access protocol for packet radio,' in Proc. ARRLICRRL Amateur Radio 9-th Computer Networking Conf., 1990, pp. 134-140
- M. Benveniste et al., 'EDCF proposed draft text,' IEEE Working Document 802.1I-01/131r1, 2001
- J. Weinmiller et aI., 'Performance study of access control in wireless LANs IEEE 802.11 DFWMAC and ETSI RES 10 HIPERLAN,' ACM/BALTZER Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 55-67, 1997
- G. Dimitriadis and F.N. Pavlidou, 'Comparative performance evaluation of edcf and EYNPMA protocols,' IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 42-44, Jan. 2004
- G. Dimitriadis and F.N. Pavlidou, 'On the performance of a medium access scheme based on EYNPMA in a high bitrate wireless LAN,' in Proc. PWMC 2003, Venice, Italy, 2003
- F. Tobagi and L. Kleinrock, 'Packet switching in radio channels: Part II the hidden terminal problem in carrier sense multiple access and the busytone solution,' IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1417-1433, Dec. 1975
- G. Dimitriadis and F.N. Pavlidou, 'Two alternative schemes to EYNPMA for medium access in high bitrate wireless LANs,' Int. J. Wireless Pers. Commun., vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 121-142, Jan. 2004
- N. Vaidya et al., 'Distributed fair scheduling in a wireless LAN,' in Proc. 6-th Annal Int. Conf Mobile Computing and Networking, 2000
- ETSI, 'Broadband radio access networks (BRAN): High performance local area network (HIPERLAN) type II: Data link control (DLC) layer: Part1: Basic transport functions,' DTS BRAN-0020004-1 vO.m, 1999
- S.-T. Sheu and T.-F. Sheu, 'A bandwidth allocation/sharing/extension protocol for multimedia over IEEE 802.11 ad hoc wireless LANs,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2065-2080, Oct. 2001
- ETSI, 'Broadband radio access networks (BRAN): High performance radio access network (HIPERLAN) type I: Functional specification,' EN 300 652 v1.2.1, 1998
- X. Pallot and L. Miller, 'Implementing message priority policies over an 802.11 based mobile ad hoc network,' in Proc. IEEE MILCOM 2001, Oct. 2001
- A. Santamaria and F. J. Lopez-Hernandez, Eds., Wireless LAN Standards and Applications, Artech House, 2001
- D. Goodman et al., 'Packet reservation multiple access for local wireless communications,' IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 885-890, Aug. 1989
- IEEE, 'Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer specification,' IEEE 802.11, 1997
- J. Sobrinho and A. S. Krishnakurnar, 'Quality-of-service in ad hoc carrier sense multiple access wireless networks,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1353-1368, Aug. 1999
- G. Anastasi et aI., 'HIPERLAN/I MAC protocol: Stability and performance analysis,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 18, no. 9. pp. 1787-1798, Sept. 2000
- Bluetooth SIG, 'Specification of the Bluetooth system - core v 1.0b,' 1999
- T.Janczak and J. Wozniak, 'Modified EYNPMA channel access scheme,' lEE Electron. Lett., vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 655-656, May 2001.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기