MIMO Ad Hoc Networks: Medium Access Control, Saturation Throughput, and Optimal Hop Distance
In this paper, we explore the utility of recently discovered multiple-antenna techniques (namely MIMO techniques) for medium access control (MAC) design and routing in mobile ad hoc networks. Specifically, we focus on ad hoc networks where the spatial diversity technique is used to combat fading and achieve robustness in the presence of user mobility. We first examine the impact of spatial diversity on the MAC design, and devise a MIMO MAC protocol accordingly. We then develop analytical methods to characterize the corresponding saturation throughput for MIMO multi-hop networks. Building on the throughout analysis, we study the impact of MIMO MAC on routing. We characterize the optimal hop distance that minimizes the end-to-end delay in a large network. For completeness, we also study MAC design using directional antennas for the case where the channel has a strong line of sight (LOS) component. Our results show that the spatial diversity technique and the directional antenna technique can enhance the performance of mobile ad hoc networks significantly.
- H. Bolcskei, 'Fundamental performance tradeoffs in coherent MIMO signaling,' Private Commun., 2003
- A. Narula, M. D. Trott, and G. W. Wornell, 'Performance limits of coded diversity methods for transmitter antenna arrays,' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 45, pp. 2418-2433, Nov. 1999
- L. Kleinrock, 'On some principles of nomadic computing and multiaccess communications,' IEEE Commun. Mag., pp. 46-50, July 2000
- J. C. Liberti and T. S. Rappaport, Smart Antennas for Wireless Communications, Prentice Hall, 1999
- R. R. Choudhary et al., 'Using directional antennas for media access control in adhoc networks,' in Proc. IEEE/ACM MobiCom 2002, 2002
- E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, B. Prabhakar, and A. E. Gamal, 'Energy-efficient packet transmission over a wireless link,' IEEE Trans. Networking, no. 4, pp. 487-499, Aug. 2002
- I. E. Telatar, 'Capacity of multiantenna gaussian channels,' European Trans. Telecommun., vol. 10, pp. 585-595, Dec. 1999
- S. Alamouti, 'A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 16, pp. 1451-1458, Oct. 1998
- L. Kleinrock and J. Silvester, 'Optimum transmission radii for packet radio networks or why six is a magic number,' in Proc. IEEE National Telecommun. Conf., Dec. 1978
- IEEE Standard, 'Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (pHY) specifications,' Nov. 1997
- T. Korakis, G. Jakllari, and L. Tassiulas, 'A MAC protocol for full exploitation of directional antennas in adhoc wireless networks,' in Proc. IEEE/ACM MobiHoc 2003, June 2003, pp. 98-107
- D. Gesbert et al., 'From theory to practice: An overview of MIMO spacetime coded wireless systems,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 21, pp. 281-302, Apr. 2003
- G. Bianchi, 'Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 18, pp. 535-547, Mar. 2000
- c. Balanis, Antenna Theory Analysis and Design. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1997
- A. Muqattash and M. Krunz, 'Power controlled dual channel (PCDC) medium access protocol for wireless ad hoc networks,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2003, Apr. 2003
- V.Tarokh, N. Seshadri, and A. R. Calderbank, 'Spacetime codes for high data rate wireless communication: Performance criterion and code construction,' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 744-765, Mar. 1998
- V. Wong and C. Leung, 'Transmission strategies in multihop mobile packet radio networks,' in Proc. Canadian Conf. Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sept. 1993, pp. 1004-1008
- V. Kawadia and P. R. Kumar, 'A cautionary perspective on cross layer design,' preprint, 2003
- R. Schmidt, 'Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation,' IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. 34, pp. 276-280, 1986
- T. Hou and V. Li, 'Transmission range control in multihop packet radio networks,' IEEE Trans. Commun., pp. 38-44, Jan. 1986
- L. Bao and J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, 'Transmission scheduling in ad hoc networks with directional antennas,' in Proc. IEEE/ACM MobiCom 2002, Sept. 2002
- G. J. Foschini and M. J. Gans, 'On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas,' Wireless Pers. Commun., vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 311-335, Mar. 1998
- L. Zheng and D. N. Tse, 'Diversity and multiplexing: A fundamental tradeoff in multiple antenna channels,' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 49, pp. 1073-1096, May 2003
- D. Bertsekas and R. Gallager, Data Networks, Prentice Hall, 2000
- K. Sundaresan et al., 'A fair medium access control protocol for adhoc networks with MIMO links,' in Proc. IEEE/ACM INFOCOM 2004, Mar. 2004
- UCLA, 'http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/glomosim/,' 2003
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기