Towards Achieving the Maximum Capacity in Large Mobile Wireless Networks under Delay Constraints
In this paper, we study how to achieve the maximum capacity under delay constraints for large mobile wireless networks. We develop a systematic methodology for studying this problem in the asymptotic region when the number of nodes n in the network is large. We first identify a number of key parameters for a large class of scheduling schemes, and investigate the inherent tradeoffs among the capacity, the delay, and these scheduling parameters. Based on these inherent tradeoffs, we are able to compute the upper bound on the maximum per-node capacity of a large mobile wireless network under given delay constraints. Further, in the process of proving the upper bound, we are able to identify the optimal values of the key scheduling parameters. Knowing these optimal values, we can then develop scheduling schemes that achieve the upper bound up to some logarithmic factor, which suggests that our upper bound is fairly tight. We have applied this methodology to both the i.i.d. mobility model and the random way-point mobility model. In both cases, our methodology allows us to develop new scheduling schemes that can achieve larger capacity than previous proposals under the same delay constraints. In particular, for the i.i.d. mobility model, our scheme can achieve (n-1/3/log3/2 n) per-node capacity with constant delay. This demonstrates that, under the i.i.d. mobility model, mobility increases the capacity even with constant delays. Our methodology can also be extended to incorporate additional scheduling constraints.
- M. Grossglauser and D. Tse, 'Mobility increases the capacity of ad hocwireless networks,' IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 10, Aug. 2002
- G. Sharma and R. R. Mazumdar, 'Delay and capacity tradeoffs for wireless ad hoc networks with random mobility,' preprint, available at http://www.ece.purdue.edu/-mazum/, Oct. 2003
- R. Durrett, Probability: Theory and Examples, 2nd ed., Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press, 1996
- G. Sharma and R. R. Mazumdar, 'On achievable delay/capacity trade-offs in mobile ad hoc networks,' in Proc. Workshop on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks (WIOPT), Cambridge, UK, Mar. 2004
- N. Bansal and Z. Liu, 'Capacity, delay, and mobility in wireless ad hoc networks,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2003, San Francisco, CA, Apr. 2003
- S. Diggavi, M. Grossglauser, and D. Tse, 'Even one-dimensional mobility increases ad hoc wireless capacity,' in Proc. ISIT 2002, Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2002
- P. Gupta and P. R. Kumar, 'The capacity of wireless networks,' IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 46, pp. 388-404, Mar. 2000
- X. Lin and N. B. Shroff, 'The fundamental capacity delay tradeoff in large mobile ad hoc networks,' Technical Report, Purdue University, available at http://min.ecn.purdue.edu/-linx/papers.html, 2004
- A. E. Gamal et al., 'Throughput delay trade off in wireless networks,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2004, Hong Kong, China, Mar. 2004
- S. Toumpis and A. J. Goldsmith, 'Large wireless networks under fading, mobility, and delay constraints,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2004, Hong Kong, China, Mar. 2004
- M. J. Neely and E. Modiano, 'Capacity and delay tradeoffs for ad hoc mobile networks,' submitted to IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, available at http://www-rcf.usc.edu/-mjneely/, 2003
- X. Lin and N. B. Shroff, 'The fundamental capacity delay tradeoff in large mobile ad hoc networks,' in Proc. Third Annual Mediterranean AdHoc Networking Workshop, Bodrum, Turkey, June 2004
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기