Effects of Various Pretreatments on Seed Germination of Calystegia soldanella (Convolvulaceae), a Coastal Sand Dune Plant
We tested various pretreatments to enhance the germination of `Sea bells' (Calystegia soldanella Roem. et Schult). One experiment, which improved the germination rate by 70%, involved first scarifying the seed coats, then immersing the seeds in 50 ppm $GA_3$ for 24 h. A $GA_3$ -alone pretreatment did not increase germination. However, the most effective method, with a 100% success rate, included 3 h of acid pretreatment with 98% $H_2SO_4$ . We also used scanning electron microscopy (SEM) to examine the seed-coat surfaces and cross-sections of dry seeds. SEM showed structural differences between seeds that were not treated and those exposed to 98% $H_2SO_4$ . The latter treatment allowed the seed coats to crack and break, thereby disrupting their physical dormancy.
- Demel T (1998) Germination of Acacia origena, A. pilispina and Pterolobium stetlatum in response to different pre-sowing seed treatment, temperature, and light. J Arid Environ 38: 551-560
- Edelstein M, Corbineau F, Kigel J, Nerson H (1995) Seed coat structure and oxygen availability control low-tem-perature germination of melon (Cucumis melo) seeds. Physiol Plant 93: 451-456
- Peng J, Harberd NP (2002) The role of GA-mediated signaling in the control of seed germination. Plant Biol 5: 376-381
- Sozzi GO, Chiesa A (1995) Improvement of caper (Capparis spinosa L.) seed germination by breaking seed coatinduced dormancy. Sci Hortic 62: 255-261
- van Dongen JT, Ammerlaan AMH, Wouterlood M (2003) Structure of the developing pea seed coat and the postphloem transport pathway of nutrients. Ann Bot 91: 729-737
- Kang JH, Kim YJ, Jeon BS (2001) Effect of presown cold stratification, GA3, KNO3, and acetone treatment on germination of Crotalaria sessiflora L. Kor J Medi Crop Sci 9: 124-129
- Ren J, Tao L (2003) Effect of hydration-dehydration cycles on germination of seven Catligonum species. J Arid Environ 55: 111-122
- Morris EC, Tieu A, Dixon K (2000) Seed coat dormancy in two species of Crevillea (Proteaceae). Ann Bot 86: 771 -775
- Bhojwani SS, Bhatnagar SP (1978) The Embryology of Angiosperms, Ed 2. Vikas Publishing House Pvt Ltd, New Delhi
- Mariko S, Kachi N, Ishikawa S-I, Furukawa A (1992) Germination ecology of coastal plants in relation to salt environment. Eco Res 7: 225-233
- Baes PO, Viana ML (2001) Germination in Prosopis ferox seeds: Effect of mechanical, chemical and biological scarificators. J Arid Environ 50: 185-189
- Bhattacharya J, Khuspe SS (2001) In vitro and in vivo germination of papaya (Carica papaya L.) seeds. Sci Hortic91: 39-49
- Bungard RA, McNeil D, Morton JD (1997) Effect of chilling, light, and nitrogen-containing compounds on germination, rate of germination and seed imbibition of Clematis vitalba L. Ann Bot 79: 643-650
- Ishikawa S-I, Furukawa A, Okuda T, Oikawa T (1993) Germination requirements in Carex kobomugi (Sea Isle). J Plant Res 136: 245-248
- Tieu A, Dixon KW, Meney KA, Sivasithamparam K, Barett RL (2001) Spatial and developmental variation in seed dormancy characteristics in the fire-responsive species Anigozanthos manglesii (Haemodoraceae) from Western Australia. Ann Bot 88:19-26
- Gutterman Y, Shem-Tov S (1997) Mucilaginous seed coat structure of Carrichtera annua and Anastatica hierochuntica from the Negev desert highlands of Israel, and its adhesion to the soil crust. J Arid Environ 35: 695-705
- Miyoshi K, Sato T (1997) The effects of kinetin and gibberellin on the germination of dehusked seeds of indica and japonica rice (Oryza sativa L.) under anaerobic and aerobic conditions. Ann Bot 80: 479-483
- Puppala N, Fowler JL (2002) Lesquerella seed pretreatment to improve germination. Ind Crop Prod 17: 61-69
- Padilla IMG, Encina CL (2003) In vitro germination of cherimoya (Annona chenmola Mill.) seeds. Sci Hortic 1864: 1-9
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Park, Yong Mok 2013. "Characteristic of Matter Allocation of Calystegia soldanella under Water Stress" Journal of environmental science international = 한국환경과학회지, 22(2): 187~193
저자의 다른 논문
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기