A Two Component Signal Transduction System Required for the Virulence of Vibrio vulnificus
Vibrio vulnificus is an estuarine bacterium that opportunistically infects humans with underlying hepatic diseases, heavy alcohol drinking habits, and other immunocompromised conditions. A locus in the V. vulnificus genome was cloned and sequenced, which showed similarities to the bacterial two-component signal transduction system. The locus encoded a putative sensor kinase, designated vvgS, and a divergently transcribed putative response regulator, designated vvgR. VvgS was predicted to be a protein belonging to the tripartite hybrid sensor kinase subfamily such as ArcB and BvgS. VvgR showed similarities to well known response regulators. An insertional mutation of vvgS in a V. vulnificus strain led to a remarkable decrease of cytotoxicity to HeLa cells, while the production of exotoxins, the hemolysin and the protease, slightly increased by the vvgS mutation. Adhesion to HeLa cells only slightly decreased. However, the vvgS mutation had no effect on the motility of V. vulnificus. The vvgS mutation resulted in a significant decrease of lethality to mice. These results indicate that vvgRS two-component system plays a very important role in regulating novel virulence factor(s) of V. vulnificus associated with cytotoxicity other than hemolysin and protease during the infection process.
- Ditta G, Stanfield DC, Helinski DR: Broad host range cloning system for gram-negative bacteria: construction of a gene bank of Rhizobium meliloti. Proc Natl Acad Sci 27: 7347-7351, 1980
- Hoch JA, Silhavy TJ: Two-component signal tranduction. American Society for Microbiology. Washington, D.C., 1995
- Jourlin C, Simon G, Pommier J, Chippaux M, Mejean V: The periplasmic TorT protein is required for trimethylamine N-oxide reductase gene induction in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 178: 1219-1223, 1996
- Kwon O, Georgellis D, Lynch AS, Boyd D, Lin ECC: The ArcB sensor kinase of Escherichia coli: genetic exploration of the transmembrane region. J Bacteriol 182: 2960-2966, 2000
- Miller VL, Mekalanos JJ: A novel suicide vector and its use in construction of insertion mutations: osmoregulation of outer membrane proteins and virulence determinants in Vibrio cholerae requires toxR. J Bacteriol 170: 2575-2583, 1988.
- Miyoshi S, Shinoda S: Role of the protease in the permeability enhancement by Vibrio vulnificus. Microbiol Immunol 32: 1025-1032, 1988
- Miyoshi S, Nakazawa H, Kawata K, Tomochika K, Tobe K, Shinoda S: Characterization of the hemorrhagic reaction caused by Vibrio vulnificus metalloprotease, a member of thermolysin family. Infect Immun 66: 4851-4855, 1998
- Morris JG Jr, Wright AC, Roberts DM, Wood PK, Simpson LM, Oliver JD: Identification of environmental Vibrio vulnificus isolates with a DNA probe for the cytotoxin-hemolysin gene. Appl Environ Microbiol 53: 193-195, 1987
- Paik KW, Moon B, Park CW, Kim KT, Ji MS, Choi SK, Rew JS, Yoon CM: Clinical characteristics of ninety-two cases of Yibrio vulnificus infections. Kor J Infect Dis 27: 355-365, 1995.
- Park SD, Shon HS, Joh NJ: Vibrio vulnificus septicemia in Korea: clinical and epidemiological findings in seventy patients. J Am Acad Dermatol 24: 397-403, 1991
- Parkinson JS, Kofoid EC: Communication modules in bacterial signaling proteins. Annu Rev Genet 26: 71-112, 1992
- Reed LJ, Muench H: A simple method of estimating the fifty percent end points. Am J Hyg 27: 493-497, 1938
- Sambrook J, Frithsch EF, Maniatis T: Molecular cloning a laboratory manual. 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor laboratory. Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. 1989
- Zu T, Manetti R, Rappuoli R, Scarlto V: Differential binding of BvgA to two classes of virulence genes of Bordetella pertussis directs promoter selectivity by RNA polymerase. Mol Microbiol 21: 557-565, 1996.
- Simon G, Mejean V, Jourlin C, Chippaux M, Pascal MC: The torR gene of Escherichia coli encodes a response regulator protein involve in the expression of the TMAO reductase genes. J Bacteriol 176: 5601-5606, 1994
- Skorupski K, Taylor RK: Positive selection vectors for allelic exchange. Gene 169: 47-52, 1996
- Igo M, Ninfa AJ, Stock JB, Silhavy TJ: Phosphorylation and dephosphorylation of a bacterial transcriptional activator by a transmembrane receptor. Gene Dev 3: 1725-1734, 1989
- Kothary MH, Kreger AS: Purification and characterization of an elastolytic protease of Vibrio vulnificus. J Gen Microbiol 133: 1783-1791, 1987
- Jeong KC, Jeong HS, Rhee, JH, Lee SE, Chung SS, Starks AM, Escudero GM, Gulig PA, Choi SH: Construction and phenotypic evaluation of a Vibrio vulnificus vvpE mutant for elastolytic protease. Infect Immun 68: 5096-5106, 2000
- Shinoda S, Miyoshi S, Yamanaka H, Miyoshi NN: Some properties of Vibrio vulnificus hemolysin. Microbiol Immunol 29: 583-590,1985
- Iuchi S, Lin ECC: Mutational analysis of signal transduction by ArcB, a membrane sensor protein responsible for anaerobic repression of operons involved in the central aerobic pathways in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 174: 3972-3980, 1992
- Testa J, Daniel LW, Kreger AS: Extracellular phospholipase A2 and lysophospholipase produced by Vibrio vulnificus. Infect Immun 45: 458-463, 1984
- Chang CH, Zhu J, Winans SC: Pleiotropic pheno-types caused by genetic ablation of the receiver mo-dule of the Agrobacterium tumefaciens VirA protein. J Bacteriol 178: 4710-4716, 1996.
- Wright AC, Morris JG Jr: The extracellular cytolysin of Vibrio vulnificus: inactivation and relationship to virulence in mice. Infect Immun 59: 192-197, 1991
- Ishige K, Nagasawa L, Tokishita S, Mizuno T: A novel device of bacterial signal transducers. EMBO J 13: 5195-5202, 1994
- Maloy SR, Stewart VJ, Taylor RK: Genetic analysis of pathogenic bacteria: a laboratory manual. Cold spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y, 1996
- Rhee JH, Lee SE, Kwon HC, Chang HS, Ryu PY, Chung SS: A study on the pathogenetic activity of the protease and hemolysin produced by Vibrio vulnificus. J Kor Soc Microbiol 29: 381-398, 1994
- Gray LD, Kreger AS: Mouse skin damage caused by cytolysin from Vibrio vulnificus and by V. vulnificus infection. J Infect Dis 155: 236-241, 1987
- Tacket CD, Brenner R, Blake, NJ: Clinical features and epidemiological study of Vibrio vulnificus infections. J Infect Dis 149: 558-561, 1984
- Iuchi S: Phosphorylation/dephosphorylation of the receiver module at the conserved aspartate residue controls transphosphorylation activity of histidine kinase in sensor protein ArcB of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem 268: 23972-23980, 1993
- Wright AC, Simpson LM, Zane SF, Oliver JD: Correlation between virulence and colony morphology in Vibrio vulnificus. Infect Immun 58: 2706-2709, 1987
- Georgellis D, Lynch AS, Lin EC: In vitro phosphorylation study of the Arc two-component signal transduction system of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 179: 5429-5435, 1997
- Yildiz FH, Schoolnik GK: Role of RpoS in stress survival and virulence of Vibrio cholerae. J Bacteriol 180: 773-784,1998
- Kreger A, Lockwood D: Detection of extracellular toxins produced by Vibrio vulnificus. Infect Immun 33: 583-590, 1981
- Miyoshi S, Hirata Y, Tomochika K, Shinoda S: Vibrio vulnificus may produce a metalloprotease causing an edematous skin lesion in vivo. FEMS Microbiol Lett 121: 321-325, 1994.
- Makino K, Shinagawa H, Amamura M, Kawamoto T, Yamada M, Nakata A: Signal transduction in the phosphate regulon of Escherichia coli involves phosphotransfer between PhoR and PhoB proteins. J Mol Biol 210: 551-559, 1989
- Arico B, Miller JF, Roy C, Stibitz S, Monack D, Falkow S, Gross R, Rappuoli R: Sequences required for expression of Bordetella pertussis virulence factors share homology with prokaryotic signal transduction protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci 86: 6671-6675, 1989.
- Gray LD, Kreger AS: Purification and characterization of extracellular cytolysin produced by Vibrio vulnificus. Infect Immun 48: 67-72, 1987
- Jourlin C, Bengrine A, Chippaux M, Mejean V: An unorthodox sensor protein (TorS) mediates the induction of the tor structural genes in response to trimethylamine N-oxide in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol 20: 1297-1306, 1996
저자의 다른 논문
- 2002 "Effect of Salinity, Temperature, and Glucose on the Production of Vibrio vulnificus Hemolysin" Journal of bacteriology and virology : JBV 32 (4): 355~365
- 2003 "Close Encounter of V. vulnificus with Host Cells is a Prerequisite to the Cytotoxicity of yet Unidentified New Virulence Factor" Journal of bacteriology and virology : JBV 33 (1): 19~26
- 2005 "패혈증 비브리오균 플라젤린의 면역 보조제 효과에 미치는 Heat Shock Protein70의 영향" Journal of bacteriology and virology : JBV 35 (4): 299~305
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기