Damage detection of mono-coupled multistory buildings: Numerical and experimental investigations
This paper presents numerical and experimental investigations on damage detection of mono-coupled multistory buildings using natural frequency as only diagnostic parameter. Frequency equation of a mono-coupled multistory building is first derived using the transfer matrix method. Closed-form sensitivity equation is established to relate the relative change in the stiffness of each story to the relative changes in the natural frequencies of the building. Damage detection is then performed using the sensitivity equation with its special features and minimizing the norm of an objective function with an inequality constraint. Numerical and experimental investigations are finally conducted on a mono-coupled 3-story building model as an application of the proposed algorithm, in which the influence of modeling error on the degree of accuracy of damage detection is discussed. A mono-coupled 10-story building is further used to examine the capability of the proposed algorithm against measurement noise and incomplete measured natural frequencies. The results obtained demonstrate that changes in story stiffness can be satisfactorily detected, located, and quantified if all sensitive natural frequencies to damaged stories are available. The proposed damage detection algorithm is not sensitive to measurement noise and modeling error.
- Capecchi, D. and Vestroni, F. (1999), "Monitoring of structural systems by using frequency data", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28, 447-461.
- Cawley, P. and Adams, R.D. (1979), "The location of defects in structures from measurements of natural frequencies", Journal of Strain Analysis, 14, 49-57.
- Koh, C.G., See, L.M. and Balendra, T. (1995), "Damage detection of buildings: Numerical and experimental studies", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 121(8), 1155-1160.
- Law, S.S. and Shi, Z.Y. (1998), "Structural damage detection from incomplete and noisy modal test data", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 124(11), 1280-1288.
- Morassi, A. (2001), "Identification of a crack in a rod based on changes in a pair of natural frequencies", J. Sound Vib., 242(4), 577-596.
- Zhu, H. (2000), "Finite element model updating using test modal data", Proc. of Int. Conf. on Advances in Structural Dynamics, Dec. 13-15, Hong Kong, 2, 1628-1634.
- Salawu, O.S. (1997), "Detection of structural damage through changes in frequency: A review", Eng. Struct., 19(9), 718-723.
- Zhu, H. and Wu, M. (2002), "The characteristic receptance method for damage detection in large mono-coupled periodic structures", J. Sound Vib., 251(2), 241-259.
- Liang, R.Y., Hu, J. and Choy, F. (1992), "Theoretical study of crack-induced eigenfrequency changes on beam structures", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 118(2), 384-396.
- Morteza, A.M.T. (1988), "Stiffness identification of frames using simulated ground excitation", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 114(5), 753-776.
- Topole, K.G. and Stubbs, N. (1995), "Non-destructive damage evaluation of a structure from limited modal parameters", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 24, 1427-1436.
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R. and Prime, M.B. (1998), "A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods", The Shock and Vibration Digest, 30(2), 91-105.
- Morassi, A. and Rovere, N. (1997), "Locating a notch in a steel frame from frequency measurements", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 123(5), 422-432.
- Gudmunsdson, P. (1983), "The dynamic behavior of slender structures with cross-sectional cracks", J. of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 31(4), 329-345.
- Hassiotis, S. and Jeong, G.D. (1995), "Identification of stiffness reductions using natural frequency measurements", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 121, 1106-1113.
- Hjelmstad, K.D. (1996), "On the uniqueness of modal parameter estimation", J. Sound Vib., 192(2), 581-598.
- Yang, J.N. and Lin, Y.K. (1981), "Along-wind motion of multistory building", J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, 107(2), 295-307.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2008. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 30(4): 445~466
- 2011. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 38(6): 715~732
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기