Strength and strain enhancements of concrete columns confined with FRP sheets
The compressive behavior up to failure of short concrete members reinforced with fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) is investigated. Rectangular cross-sections are analysed by means of a simplified elastic model, able also to explain stress-concentration. The model allows one to evaluate the equivalent uniform confining pressure in ultimate conditions referred to the effective confined cross-section and to the effective stresses in FRP along the sides of section; consequently, it makes it possible to determine ultimate strain and the related bearing capacity of the confined member corresponding to FRP failure. The effect of local reinforcements constitute by single strips applied at corners before the continuous wrapping and the effect of round corners are also considered. Analytical results are compared to experimental values available in the literature.
- Campione, G., Miraglia, N. and Scibilia, N. (2001), "Comportamento in compressione di elementi in calcestruzzo armato a sezione quadrata e circolare rinforzati con FRP", Ingegneria Sismica, 2, 5-12 (only available in Italian).
- CEB-FIP Bulletin 14 (2001), "Externally bonded FRP reinforcement for RC structures"
- Kiang, H.T. (2002), "Strength enhancement of rectangular reinforced concrete columns using fiber-reinforced polymer", J. of Comp. for Constr., ASCE, 6(3), 175-183.
- La Tegola, A. and Manni, O. (1998), "Structural behavior of concrete elements confined with FRP", Proc. of ECCM Conf., 323-330
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 114(8), 1804-1826.
- Rochette, P. and Labossiere, P. (2000), "Axial testing of rectangular column models confined with composites", J. of Comp. for Constr., ASCE, 4(3), 129-136.
- Shehata, I.A.E.M., Carneiro, L.A.V. and Shehata, L.C.D. (2002), "Strength of short concrete columns confined with CFRP sheets", Materials and Structures, 35, 50-58.
- Theriault, M., Claude, S. and Neale, K.W. (2001), "Effect of size and slenderness ratio on the behavior of FRPwrapped columns", FRPRCS-5, Thomas Telford, London, 765-771.
- Yang, X., Nanni, A. and Chen, G. (2001), "Effect of corner radius on the performance of externally bonded FRP reinforcement", Proc. of FRPRCS5, Non-metallic reinforcement for concrete structures, Cambridge, UK, July, 16-18.
- Teng, G.J. and Lam, L. (2002), "Compressive behavior of carbon fiber reinforced polymer-confined concrete in elliptical columns", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 128(2), 1535-1543.
- Ilki, A. and Kumbasar, N. (2002), "Behavior of damaged and undamaged concrete strengthened by carbon fiber composite sheets", Struct. Engrg. Mech., 13(1), 75-90.
- Maalej, M., Tanwongsval, S. and Paramasivam, P. (2003), "Modelling of rectangular RC columns strengthened with FRP", Cement & Concrete Composites, 25, 263-276.
- Campione, G. and Miraglia, N. (2003), "Strength and strain capacities of concrete compression members reinforced with FRP", Cement & Concrete Composites, 25(1), 31-41.
- Purba, B.K. and Mufti, A.A. (1999), "Investigation of the behavior of circular concrete columns reinforced with carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) jackets", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 26, 590-596.
- Saadatmanesh, H., Ehsani, R.M. and Jin, L. (1997), "Repair of earthquake-damaged RC columns with FRP wraps", ACI Struct. J., 94(2), 206-215.
- Campione, G., Miraglia, N. and Papia, M. (2003), "Influence of section shape and wrapping technique on the compressive behavior of concrete columns confined with CFRP sheets", Proc. Int. Conf. Composites in Constructions, Bruno et al. (eds.), 216-221.
- Richart, F.E., Brandtzaeg, A. and Brown, R.L. (1929), "The failure of plain and spiral reinforced concrete in compression", Engineering Experiment Station, Bulletin N. 190, University of Illinois, Urbana, USA.
- Tan, K.H. (2002), "Strength enhancement of rectangular reinforced concrete columns using fiber-reinforced polymer", J. of Comp. for Constr., ASCE, 6(3), 175-183.
- Elwi, A.A. and Murray, D.W. (1979), "A 3D hypoelastic concrete constitutive relationship", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 105, 623-641.
- Lam, L. and Teng, J.G. (2002), "Strength models for fiber-reinforced plastic-confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 128(5), 612-623.
- Mirmiran, A., Shahawy, M., Samaan, M., EL Echary, H., Mastrapa, J.C. and Pico, O. (1998), "Effect of column parameters on FRP-confined concrete", J. of Comp. for Constr., ASCE, 2(4), 175-185.
- Toutanji, H.A. (1999), "Stress-strain characteristics of concrete columns externally confined with advanced fiber composite sheets", ACI Material J., 96(3), 397-404.
- Chaallal, O., Hassen, M. and Shahawy, M. (2003), "Confinement model for axially loaded short rectangular columns strengthened with fiber-reinforced polymer wrapping", ACI Struct. J., 100(2), 215-221.
- Cusson, D. and Paultre, P. (1995), "Stress-strain model for confined high-strength concrete", J. Struct. Engng., ASCE, 121(3), 468-477.
- Seible, F., Priesley, M.J.N., Hegemier, G.A. and Innamorato, D. (1997), "Seismic retrofit of R.C. columns with continuous carbon fiber jackets", J. of Comp. for Const., ASCE, 1(2), 52-62.
- Wang, C.Y. and Restrepo, J.I. (2001), "Investigation on concentrically loaded reinforced concrete columns confined with glass fiber-reinforced polymer jackets", ACI Struct. J., 98(3), 377-385.
- Ignatowski, P. and Kaminska, M.E. (2003), "Concrete confinement with CFRP composites" Proc. Int. Conf. Composites in Constructions, Bruno et al. (eds.), 361-366.
- Moran, D.A. and Pantelides, C.P. (2002), "Stress-strain model for fiber-reinforced polymer-confined concrete", J. of Comp. for Constr., ASCE, 6(4), 233-240.
- Spoelstra, M.R. and Monti, G. (1999), "FRP-confined concrete model", J. of Comp. for Constr., ASCE, 3(3), 143-150.
- Caner, F.C. and Bazant, Z.P. (2002), "Lateral confinement needed to suppress softening of concrete in compression", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 128(12), 1304-1313.
- Demers, M. and Neale, W.K. (1999), "Confinement of reinforced concrete columns with fibre-reinforced composite sheets - An experimental study", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 26, 226-241.
- Ravzi, S. and Saatcioglu, M. (1999), "Confinement model for high-strength concrete", J. of Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 125(3), 261-289.
- Saafi, M., Toutanji, H.A. and Li, Z. (1999), "Behavior of concrete columns confined with fiber reinforced polymer tubes", ACI Material J., 96(4), 500-509.
- Karabinis, A.I. and Rousakis, T.C. (2002), "Concrete confined by FRP material: A plasticity approach", Eng. Struct., 24, 923-932.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기