An element-based 9-node resultant shell element for large deformation analysis of laminated composite plates and shells
The Element-Based Lagrangian Formulation of a 9-node resultant-stress shell element is presented for the isotropic and anisotropic composite material. The effect of the coupling term between the bending strain and displacement has been investigated in the warping problem. The strains, stresses and constitutive equations based on the natural co-ordinate have been used throughout the Element-Based Lagrangian Formulation of the present shell element which offers an advantage of easy implementation compared with the traditional Lagrangian Formulation. The element is free of both membrane and shear locking behavior by using the assumed natural strain method such that the element performs very well in thin shell problems. In composite plates and shells, the transverse shear stiffness is defined by an equilibrium approach instead of using the shear correction factor. The arc-length control method is used to trace complex equilibrium paths in thin shell applications. Several numerical analyses are presented and discussed in order to investigate the capabilities of the present shell element. The results showed very good agreement compared with well-established formulations in the literature.
- Ahmad, S., Irons, B.M. and Zienkiewicz, O.C. (1970), "Analysis of thick and thin shell structures by curved finite elements", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 2, 419-451.
- Huang, H.C. and Hinton, E. (1986), "A new nine node degenerated shell element with enhanced membrane and shear interpolation", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 22, 73-92.
- Jang, J. and Pinsky, P.M. (1987), "An assumed covariant strain based 9-node shell element", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 24, 2389-2411.
- Lee, S.W. and Pian, T.H.H. (1978), "Improvement of plate and shell finite elements by mixed formulation", AIAA J., 16, 29-34.
- Liu, W.K., Lam, D., Law, S.E. and Belytschko, T. (1986), "Resultant stress degenerated shell element", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 55, 259-300.
- Rolfes, R. and Rohwer, K. (1997), "Improved transverse shear stress in composite finite element based on first order shear deformation theory", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 40, 51-60.
- Simo, J.C. and Hughes, T.J.R. (1986), "On the variational formulations of assumed strain methods", J. Appl. Mech., ASME, 53, 51-54.
- Simo, J.C. (1993), "On a stress resultant geometrically exact shell model. Part VII: Shell intersections with 5/6- DOF finite element formulations", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 108, 319-339.
- White, D.W. and Abel, J.F. (1989), "Testing of shell finite element accuracy and robustness", Finite Element Method in Analysis and Design, 6, 129-151.
- Chaisomphob, T., Kanok-Nuculchai, W. and Nishino, F. (1988), "An automatic arc length algorithm for tracing equilibrium paths of nonlinear structures", Proc. of JSCE, Struct. Eng./Earthq. Eng., 5, 205-208.
- Ramm, E. (1977), "A plate/shell element for large deflections and rotations", Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis in Structural Mechanics, Wunderlich, W., Stein, E., Bathe, K.J. (eds.), M.I.T. Press, NY.
- Saigal, S., Kapania, R.K. and Yang, Y.T. (1986), "Geometrically nonlinear finite element analysis of imperfect laminated shells", J. Compos. Mater., 20, 197-214.
- XFINAS (2003), Nonlinear Structural Dynamic Analysis System, School of Civil Engineering, A.I.T., Thailand.
- Kim, K.D. and Park, T.H. (2002), "An 8-node assumed strain element with explicit integration for isotropic and laminated composite shells", Struct. Eng. Mech., 13(4), 387-410.
- Kim, K.D., Park, T. and Voyiadjis, G.Z. (1998), "Postbuckling analysis of composite panels with imperfection damage", Comput. Mech., 22, 375-387.
- MacNeal, R.H. (1982), "Derivation of element stiffness matrices by assumed strain distributions", Nicl. Enggr. Design, 33, 1049-1058.
- Wong, Wai-Kong (1984), "Pseudo Lagrangian formulation for large deformation analysis of continua and structures", Master Thesis, School of Civil Engineering, A.I.T.
- Belytschko, T., Wong, B.L. and Stolarski, H. (1989), "Assumed strain stabilization procedure for the 9-node Lagrange shell element", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 28, 385-414.
- Kim, K.D. and Voyiadjis, G.Z. (1999), "Non-linear finite element analysis of composite panels", Composites Part B: Engineering, 30(4), 365-381.
- Ma, H. and Kanok-Nukulchai, W. (1989), "On the application of assumed strained methods", Structural Engineering and Construction, Achievements, Trends and Challenges, Kanok-Nukulchai et al. (eds.), AIT, Bankok.
- Crisfield, M.A. (1981), "A fast incremental/iterative solution procedure that handles snap-through", Comput. Struct., 13, 55-62.
- Kim, K.D., Lomboy, G.R. and Han, S.C. (2003), "A co-rotational 8-node assumed strain shell element for postbuckling analysis of laminated composite plates and shells", Comput. Mech., 30(4), 330-342.
- Noor, A.K. and Mathers, M.D. (1976), "Anisotropy and shear deformation in laminated composite plates", AIAA, 14, 282-285.
- Fontes Valente, R.A., Natal Jorge, R.M., Cardoso, R.P.R., Cesar de Sa, J.M.A. and Gra´cio, J.J.A. (2003), "On the use of an enhanced transverse shear strain shell element for problems involving large rotations", Comput. Mech., 30, 286-296.
- Kanok-Nukulchai, W. and Wong, W.K. (1988), "Element-based Lagrangian formulation for large-deformation analysis", Comput. Struct., 30, 967-974.
- Yoo, S.W. and Choi, C.K. (2000), "Geometrically nonlinear analysis of laminated composites by an improved degenerated shell element", Struct. Eng. Mech., 9(1), 123-456.
- Hughes, T.J.R. and Liu, W.K. (1981), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of shells: Part I. Three-dimensional shells", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 26, 331-362.
- Lee, S.J. and Kanok-Nukulchai, W. (1998), "A nine-node assumed strain finite element for large deformation analysis of laminated shells", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 42, 777-798.
- Reddy, J.N. (1997), Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates, CRC Press, Florida.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (6)
- Lee, Won-Hong ; Han, Sung-Cheon ; Park, Weon-Tae 2010. "Buckling Analysis of Laminated Composite Plates under the In-plane Compression and Shear Loadings" 한국산학기술학회논문지 = Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 11(12): 5199~5206
- Han, Sung-Cheon ; Park, Weon-Tae ; Lee, Won-Hong 2010. "Non-linear Analysis of Laminated Composite Plates with Multi-directional Stiffness Degradation" 한국산학기술학회논문지 = Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 11(7): 2661~2669
- 2010. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 34(1): 97~107
- 2011. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 40(2): 191~213
- Han, Sung-Cheon 2012. "Geometrically Nonlinear Analysis of Hinged Cylindrical Laminated Composite Shells" 복합신소재구조학회 논문집 = Journal of the Korean Society for Advanced Composite Structures, 3(2): 1~10
- 2016. "" Steel & Composite structures : an international journal, 21(2): 373~394
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기