Vulnerability Analysis on a VPN for a Remote Monitoring System
14 Pressurized Water Reactors (PWR) in Korea use a remote monitoring system (RMS), which have been used in Korea since 1998. A Memorandum of Understanding on Remote Monitoring, based on Enhanced Cooperation on PWRs, was signed at the 10th Safeguards Review Meeting in October 2001 between the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and Ministry Of Science and Technology (MOST). Thereafter, all PWR power plants applied for remote monitoring systems. However, the existing method is high cost (involving expensive telephone costs). So, it was eventually applied to an Internet system for Remote Monitoring. According to the Internet-based Virtual Private Network (VPN) applied to Remote Monitoring, the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute (KAERI) came to an agreement with the IAEA, using a Member State Support Program (MSSP). Phase I is a Lab test. Phase II is to apply it to a target power plant. Phase III is to apply it to all the power plants. This paper reports on the penetration testing of Phase I. Phase I involved both domestic testing and international testing. The target of the testing consisted of a Surveillance Digital Integrated System (SDIS) Server, IAEA Server and TCNC (Technology Center for Nuclear Control) Server. In each system, Virtual Private Network (VPN) system hardware was installed. The penetration of the three systems and the three VPNs was tested. The domestic test involved two hacking scenarios: hacking from the outside and hacking from the inside. The international test involved one scenario from the outside. The results of tests demonstrated that the VPN hardware provided a good defense against hacking. We verified that there was no invasion of the system (SDIS Server and VPN; TCNC Server and VPN; and IAEA Server and VPN) via penetration testing.
- Jim S. Regula, 'Communications Technologies Appropriate for Remote Monitoring', IAEA, (2001)
- W.K.Yoon, et al., 'Remote Monitoring for Enhanced Cooperation',' 01 ESARDA, (2001)
- H. Smart, S. Caskey, R. Martinez, 'Secure Transfer of Surveillance Data Over Internet Using Virtual Private Network Technology', STUK-YTO-TR174, (2001)
- H. Smart, et.al, 'Application of a Virtual Private Network to the Finnish Remote Environmental Monitoring System', 41st INMM, New Ore. (2000)
- J.S.Kim, et.al, 'The current status of developing the VPN technologies and application for Remote Monitoring' , KAERI/GP-189/2002, VPN workshop for Remote Monitoring, Daejeon, (2002)
- Susan Caskey and Don Glidewell, Virtual Private Networks, KAERI/GP-189/2002, VPN workshop for Remote Monitoring, Daejeon. (2002)
저자의 다른 논문
Kim, Jong-Soo (0)
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기