Fleeting Fragrance The History, Preservation and Display of Perfumed Costume
Fragrance-like style-is one of the intangible aspects of costume history that we often wish had been preserved. Garments were perfumed both to impart a pleasurable impression and to mask disagreeable odors from use or from production processes such as tanning and dyeing. Expensive gloves were traditionally perfumed, as well as lace collars, silk stockings and shawls. Both historical and modern attempts have been made to create scents that please the wearer and attract the oppoiste sex, while (preferable) also repelling osquitoes and moths! Unintentional perfuming also occurred, which we sometimes may be lucky to find in our museum collections. How do we describe and identify the transient odors of museum objects, and at what cost can they be preserved and presented for the public? This lecture includes samples of reconstructed historical scents presented in costume exhibitions at the Royal Danish Collections.
- Burr, Chandler (2002). The emperor of scent. London
- Cunnington, C.W. and P. (1951). The history of underclothes. London
- Eastop, D. and Brooks, M.M. (1996). To clean or not to clean: the value of soils and creases. Preprints, ICOM CC, IIth Triennial Meeting, Edinburgh, pp. 687-91. London
- EPA Study 1991; see
- ICOM Costume Committee (1994). Guidelines to Costume
- Johansen, Katia (1999). Perfumed garments, their preservation and presentation in ICOM Committee for Conservation Abstracts, Lyon 1999
- Hayward, M. and Allen, R (1992). Naphtalene, conservation news, UKIC, 49, pp 40-43
- Robinson, Stuart (1969). A history of dyed textiles. London
- Corbin, Alan (1982). The foul and the fragrant. Odour and the French Social Imagination. New York
- Sskind, P. (1976). Perfume. New York. (novel)
- Amold, Janet (1988). Queen Elizabeth's wardrobe unlock'd: Leeds, Great Britain
- Frosell, P. (1982). Fra duftenes verden. Copenhagen
- Lachelin, C. (1996). Preliminary investigation into the problems of removing soot and smoke odour from historic textiles: considerations for conservation. Unpublished Diploma Report, The Textile Conservation Centre
- Hayward, M. (1998). Repositories of splendour, Textile History, XXIX-ii, pp 134-56
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기