Impact of Residual Extractives and Hexenuronic Acid on Lignin Determination of Kraft pulps
The amount of non-lignin components in unbleached and oxygen-delignified kraft pulps and their impact on lignin determinations was investigated. The lignin analyses investigated were kappa number and Klason lignin in conjunction with acid-soluble lignin. The species investigated were loblolly pine, and aspen. The non-lignin components that impacted on lignin determination were residual extractives and hexenuronic acid in unbleached and oxygen-delignified kraft pulps. In the hardwoods, significant amounts of extractives remained after kraft pulping and oxygen delignification. These residual extractives in the hardwood pulps had an impact on the lignin determination, more so on the acid lignin method than kappa number. Hexenuronic acid only impacts on kappa number determination both softwood and hardwood pulps, not on acid lignin. Hexeneuronic acid contributed as lignin content more in aspen than pine pulps, and more in oxygen-delignified than unbleached kraft pulps. Impact of hexenuronic acid on should be corrected both softwood and hardwood pulps for accurate kappa number.
- Wiles, R.H. Permanganate numbers of pulp. Paper Trade J. 98(11): 34-36 (1934)
- Chai, X.S.; Zhu, J.Y. and Li, J. A simple and rapid method to determine hexeneuronic acid groups in chemical pulps. J. Pulp Paper Sci, 27(5): 165-170 (2001)
- Tasman, J.E. and Berzins, V., The permanganate consumption of pulp material. Tappi J. 40(9): 695-699 (1957)
- Shin, S.-J.; Schroeder, L.R. and Lai, Y.-Z. The impact of residual extractives in kraft pulps on lignin determination, J. Wood Chern. Technol. 24(2): 139-151 (2004)
- Li, J. and Gellerstedt, G. The contribution to kappa number from hexeneuronic acid groups in pulp xylan. Carbohydr. Res. 302, 213-218 (1997)
- Allison, R.W.: Timonen, O.; Mcgrouther, K.G.; and Suckling, I.D. Hexenuronic acid in kraft pulp from radiata pine. APPITA J. 52,448-453 (1999)
- Chai, X.-S.; Luo, Q.; Yoon, S.-H. and Zhu, J. Y. The fate ofhexeneuronic acid groups during kraft pulping of ardwoods. J. Pulp Pap. Sci. 27(12): 403-406 (2001)
- Buchert, J.; Teleman, A.; Harjunpaa, V.; Tenkanen, M; and Viikari, L. Effect of cooking and bleaching on the structure ofxylan in conventional pine kraft pulp. Tappi J. 78(11): 125-130 (1995)
- TAPPI Useful Methods 1991, Useful Test Method UM 250, Acid-Soluble Lignin in Wood and Pulp, TAPPI Press, Atlanta (1991)
- Jiang, Z.-H.; Van Lierop, B; and Berry, R. Hexenuronic acid groups in pulping and bleaching chemistry. Tappi J. 83(1): 167-175 (2000)
- TAPPI Test Methods, Official Test Method T222 om-98, Acid-Insoluble Lignin in Wood and Pulp, TAPPI Press, Atlanta (2000)
- TAPPI Test Methods, Official Test Method T236 om-99, Kappa Number in Pulp, TAPPI Press, Atlanta (2000)
- Teleman, A.; Hausalo, T.; Tenkanen, M., and Vuorinen, T., Identification of the acidic degradation products of hexenuronic acid and characterization of hexenuronic acid-substituted xylooligosaccharides by NMR spectroscopy. Carbohydr. Res. 280, 197-208 (1996)
- Browning, B.L. Methods in Wood Chemistry, Vol. 2, Chapter 34 (Determination of Lignin); Interscience Publishers: New York, 785-823 (1967)
- Dence, C.W. The Determination of Lignin. In Methods in Lignin Chemistry Lin, S.Y. and Dence, C.W., Eds.; Springer-Verlag: Berlin, 33-70 (1992)
- Lai, Y.-Z. and Sarkanen, K.V. Isolation and Structural Studies. In Lignin: Occurance, Formation, Structure, and Reactions, Sarkanen, K.V. and Ludwig, C.H., Eds., Wiley-Interscience, New York, 165-240 (1971)
- Gellerstedt, G and Li, J. An HPLC method for the quantitative determination of hexeneuronic acid groups in chemical pulps. Carbohydr. Res. 294, 41-51 (1996)
- Chai, X-S.; Yoon, S.-H.; Zhu, J. Y. and Li, J. The fate ofhexeneuronic acid groups during alkaline pulping of loblolly pine. J. Pulp Pap. Sci 27(12): 407-411 (2001)
저자의 다른 논문
- 2005 "New 2-methyl Anthraquinone Synthesis Approach and Application in Soda-anthraquinone (AQ) Pulping" 펄프 종이기술 = Journal of Korea Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry 37 (5): 35~40
- 2005 "Impact of Lignin Determination Method on Oxygen Delignification Chemistry" 펄프 종이기술 = Journal of Korea Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry 37 (5): 50~55
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기