Cytotoxic and Mutagenic Effects of Cinnamomum cassia Bark-Derived Materials
The cytotoxic activities of Cinnamomum cassia (Blume) bark-derived materials toward six human HeLa epithelioid cervix, A549 lung, SK-OV-3 ovarian, SK-MEL-2 melanoma, XF-498 central nerve system, and HCT-15 colon tumor cell lines were evaluated by using sulforhodamine B assay and compared to those of the anticancer agents, cisplatin and mitomycin C. The biologically active constituent of the Cinnamomum bark was characterized as transcinnamaldehyde by spectroscopic analysis. The cytotoxic activity of cinnamaldehyde against HeLa, SK-MEL-2, and HCT -15 cell lines was comparable to that of cisplatin and mitomycin C. The compound showed lower activity against A549, SK-OV-3, and XF-498 cell lines than the anticancer agents. Eugenol exhibited moderate activity against SK-OV3, XF-498, and HCT-15 tumor cells, and trans-cinnamic acid, cinnamyl alcohol, $\alpha-pinene,\;and\;\beta-pinene$ showed little or no activity against model tumor cells. Cinnamaldehyde was not mutagenic against four strains (TA 98, TA 100, TA 1535, and TA 1537) of Salmonella typhimurium (Castel and Chalm). These results indicate at least one pharmacological action of C. cassia.
- Bokkenheuser, V. D. and J. Winter. 1983. Biotransformation of steroids, pp. 215-239. In D. J. Hentges (ed.). Human Intestinal Microflora in Health and Disease. Academic, New York, U.S.A
- Goidin, A., A. A. Serpick, and N. Mantel. 1966. Experimental screening procedures and clinical predictability value. Cancer Chemoth. Rep. 50: 190-231
- Goldman, P. 1983. Biochemical pharmacology and toxicology involving the intestinal flora, pp. 241-263. In D. J. Hentges (ed.). Human Intestianl Microflora in Health and Disease. Academic, New York, U.S.A
Lee, H. S. 2003. Inhibitory effects of quinizarin isolated from Cassia tora seeds against human intestinal bacteria and aflatoxin B
$_1$biotransformation. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13(4): 529-536
- Lee, H. S. and Y. J. Ahn. 1998. Growth-inhibiting effects of Cinnamomum cassia bark-derived materials on human intestinal bacteria. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46: 8-12.
- Maron, D. M. and B. N. Ames. 1983. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test. Mut. Res. 113: 173-215
- Namba, T. 1993. The Encyclopedia of Wakan-Yaku (Traditional Sino-Japanese Medicines) with Color Pictures. Hoikusha, Osaka, Japan
- Yi, H. J., J. Y. Kim, K. H. Kim, H. J. Lee, and H. J. Lee. 2003. Anticancer activity of peptide fractions from egg white hydrolysate against mouse lymphoma cells. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 12: 224-227
- Cassady, J. M. and J. D. Douros. 1980. Anticancer Agents Based on Natural Product Models. Academic, New York, U.S.A
- Barclay, A. S. and R. E. Jr. Perdue. 1976. Distribution of anticancer activity in higher plants. Cancer Treat. Rep. 50: 1081-1113
- Oguni, I., K. Nasu, J. Oguni, S. Kanaya, H. Tachikawa, M. Fujino, Y. Oishi, Y. Ohta, M. Usami, and T. Masuki. 1983. On the regional difference in the mortality of cancer for cities, towns and villages in Shizuoka Prefecture (1971- 1978). Ann. Rep. Shizuoka Womens Coll. 29: 49-93
- Park, J. W., B. S. Song, D. Ryu, C. Lee, and Y. B. Kim. 2002. In vitro bactericidal and anticancer activity of new metabolite, ARK42, isolated from Aspergillus repens K42. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 12(6): 1017-1021
- Piantadosi, C., V. G. Skulason, J. L. Irvin, J. M. Powell, and L. Hall. 1964. Potential antitumor agents. Schiffbases and hydrazone derivatives of pyrimidine-4-carboxaldehyde. J. Med. Chem. 7: 337-348
- Finegold, S. M., D. J. Flora, H. R. Attebery, and V. L. Sutter. 1975. Fecal bacteriology of colonic polyp patients and control patients. Cancer Res. 35: 3407-3417
- Fujisawa, T., M. Kuno, T. Kokuba, R. Hirata, K. Sasaki, Y. Fujisawa, K. Nakamura, and T. Mitsuoka. 1992. Effects of apple and corn fiber supplemented with bifidobacteria and fructooligosaccharides preparation (A & C) on the fecal microflora and fecal properties in patients with dementia senilis. Bifidus. 5: 173-176
- Kuwata, K., Y. Fujita, T. Yamane, Y. Sagara, M. Tanaka, J. Okuzumi, T. Takahashi, H. Fujiki, and T. Okuda. 1988. Anti-promotive effect of epigallocatechin gallate in the process of mouse duodenal carcinogenesis of ENNG, pp. 208. Proc. Ann. Meeting Jpn Soc. Cancer Res. Tokyo
- Jeong, I. H., C. O. Lee, C. S. Kim, S. U. Kim, and Y. J. Ahn. 2000. Cytotoxic activity of medicinal plant extracts against human tumor cell lines. Agric. Chem. Biotech. 43: 59-61
- Lee, K. D., K. H. Park, H. Kim, J. Kim, Y. S. Rim, and M. S. Yang. 2003. Cytotoxic activity and structural analogues of guaianolide derivatives from the flower of Chrysanthemum coronarium L. Agric. Chem. Biotech. 46: 29-32
- Okubo, T., N. Ishihara, A. Oura, M. Serit, M. Kim, T. Yamamoto, and T. Mitsuoka. 1992. In vivo effects of tea polyphenol intake on human intestinal micorflora and metabolism. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 56: 588-591
- Skehan, P., R. Storeng, D. A. Scudiero, A. Monks, J. B. McMahon, D. T. Visca, J. T. Warren, H. Bokesch, S. Kenney, and M. R. Boyd. 1990. New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer drug screening. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 82: 1107-1112
- Ahn, Y. J., C. O. Lee, J. H. Kweon, J. W. Ahn, and J. H. Park. 1998. Growth-inhibitory effects of Galla Rhoisderived tannins on intestinal bacteria. J. Appl. Microbiol. 84: 439-443
- Colegate, S. M. and J. J. Molyneux. 1993. Bioactive Natural Products: Detection, Isolation and Structure Determination. CRC, Boca Raton
- Mitsuoka, T. 1981. Intestinal Flora and Carcinogenesis. Japan Scientific Society Press, Tokyo, Japan
- Van der Bliek, A. M. and P. Borst. 1986. Multidrug resistance. Adv. Cancer Res. 52: 165-204
- Ahn, Y. J., T. Kawamura, M. Kim, T. Yamamoto, and T. Mitsuoka. Tea polyphenols: Selective growth inhibitors of Clostridium spp. Agri. Biol. Chem. 55: 1425-1426
- Kinghorn, A. D. and M. F. Balandrin. 1993. Human Medicinal Agents from Plants. ACS Symposium Series 534, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., U.S.A
- FAO/WHO. Specifications for the identity and purity of food additives and their toxicological evaluation: Some flavoring substances and non-nutritive sweetening agents. Eleventh Report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives. FAO Nutrition Meetings Report Series No. 44, Wld Hlth Org. Techn. Rep. Ser. No. 383, 1968
- Buckingham, J. 1992. Dictionary of Natural Products. Chapman & Hall, London
- Malpas, J. S. 1991. Chemotheraphy, pp. 451-469. In: L. M. Franks, and N. M. Teich (eds.). Introduction to the Cellular and Molecular Biology of Cancer. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2009. "" Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry, 52(5): 443~447
- 2009. "" Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry, 52(5): 480~485
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기