Hydrogen Peroxide produced by Two Amino Acid Oxidases Mediates Antibacterial Actions
The antibacterial actions of two amino acid oxidases, a D-amino acid oxidase from hog kidney and a L-amino acid oxidase from the venom of Agkistrodon halys, were investigated, demonstrating that both enzymes were able to inhibit the growth of both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, and that hydrogen peroxide, a product of their enzymatic reactions, was the antibacterial factor. However, hydrogen peroxide generated in the enzymatic reactions was not sufficient to explain the degree to which bacterial growth was inhibited. A fluorescence labeling assay showed that both of these two enzymes could bind to the surfaces of bacteria. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report regarding the antibacterial activity of the D-amino acid oxidases.
- D'Aniello, A., A. Vetere, and L. Petrucelli. 1993. Further study on the specificity of D-amino acid oxidase and D-aspartate oxidase and time course for complete oxidation of D-amino acids. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 105, 731-734
- Marcotte, P. and C. Walsh. 1976. Vinylglycine and proparglyglycine: complementary suicide substrates for L-amino acid oxidase and D-amino acid oxidase. Biochemistry 15, 3070-3076
- Stiles, B.G., F.W. Sexton, and S.A. Weinstein. 1991. Antibacterial effects of different snake venoms: purification and characterization of antibacterial proteins from Pseudechis australis (Australian king brown or mulga snake) venom. Toxicon 29, 1129-1141
- Sakurai, Y., H. Takatsuka, A. Yoshioka, T. Matsui, M. Suzuki, K. Titani, and Y. Fujimura. 2001. Inhibition of human platelet aggregation by L-amino acid oxidase purified from Naja naja kaouthia venom. Toxicon 39, 1827-1833
- Li, Z.Y., T.F. Yu, and E.C. Lian. 1994. Purification and characterization of L-amino acid oxidase from king cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) venom and its effects on human platelet aggregation. Toxicon 32, 1349-1358
- Ali, S.A., S. Stoeva, A. Abbasi, J.M. Alam, R. Kayed, M. Faigle, B. Neumeister, and W. Voelter. 2000. Isolation, structural, and functional characterization of an apoptosis-inducing L-amino acid oxidase from leaf-nosed viper (Eristocophis macmahoni) snake venom. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 384, 216-226
- Suhr, S.M. and D.S. Kim. 1996. Identification of the snake venom substance that induces apoptosis. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 224, 134-139
- Torii, S., K. Yamane, T. Mashima, N. Haga, K. Yamamoto, J.W. Fox, M. Naito, and T. Tsuruo. 2000. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of apoxin I, a snake venom-derived apoptosis- inducing factor with L-amino acid oxidase activity. Biochemistry 39, 3197-3205
- Geyer, A., T.B. Fitzpatrick, P.D. Pawelek, K. Kitzing, A. Vrielink, S. Ghisla, and P. Macheroux. 2001. Structure and characterization of the glycan moiety of L-amino-acid oxidase from the Malayan pit viper Calloselasma rhodostoma. Eur. J. Biochem. 268, 4044-4053
- Zhang, H., M. Teng, L. Niu, Y. Wang, Y. Wang, Q. Liu, Q. Huang, Q. Hao, Y. Dong, and P. Liu. 2004. Purification, partial characterization, crystallization and structural determination of AHP-LAAO, a novel L-amino acid oxidase with cell apoptosisinducing activity from Agkistrodon halys pallas venom. Acta Cryst. D60, 974-977
- Ehara, T., S. Kitajima, N. Kanzawa, T. Tamiya, and T. Tsuchiya. 2002. Antimicrobial action of achacin is mediated by L-amino acid oxidase activity. FEBS Lett. 531, 509-512
- Souza, D.H., L.M. Eugenio, J.E. Fletcher, M.S. Jiang, R.C. Garratt, G. Oliva, and H.S. Selistre-de-Araujo. 1999. Isolation and structural characterization of a cytotoxic L-amino acid oxidase from Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus snake venom: preliminary crystallographic data. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 368, 285- 290
- Tempone, A.G., H.F. Jr. Andrade, P.J. Spencer, C.O. Lourenco, J.R. Rogero, and N. Nascimento. 2001. Bothrops moojeni venom kills Leishmania spp. with hydrogen peroxide generated by its L-amino acid oxidase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 280, 620-624
- Skarnes, R.C. 1970. L-amino-acid oxidase, a bactericidal system. Nature 225, 1072-1073
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기