Enzymatic and Non-enzymatic Degradation of Poly (3-Hydroxybutyrate-co-3-Hydroxyvalerate) Copolyesters Produced by Alcaligenes sp. MT-16
Poly(3-Hydroxybutyrate-co3-Hydroxyvalerate), poly(3HB-co-3HV), copolyesters with a variety of 3HV contents (ranging from 17 to $60\;mol\%$ ) were produced by Alcaligenes sp. MT-16 grown on a medium containing glucose and levulinic acid in various ratios, and the effects of hydrophilicity and crystallinity on the degradability of the copolyesters were evaluated. Measurements of thermo-mechanical properties and Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy in the attenuated total reflectance revealed that the hydrophilicity and crystallinity of poly(3HB-co-3HV) copolyesters decreased as 3HV content in the copolyester increased. When the prepared copolyester film samples were non-enzymatically hydrolysed in 0.01 N NaOH solution, the weights of all samples were found to have undergone no changes over a period of 20 weeks. In contrast, the copolyester film samples were degraded by the action of extracellular polyhydroxybutyrate depolymerase from Emericellopsis minima W2. The overall rate of weight loss was higher in the films containing higher amounts of 3HV, suggesting that the enzymatic degradation of the copolyester is more dependent on the crystallinity of the copolyester than on its hydrophilicity. Our results suggest that the degradability characteristics of poly(3HB-co-3HV) copolyesters, as well as their thermo-mechanical properties, are greatly influenced by the 3HV content in the copolyesters.
- Abe, H. and Y. Doi. 2002. Side-chain effect of second monomer units on crystalline morphology, thermal properties, and enzymatic degradability for random copolyesters of (R)-3-hydroxybutyric acid with (R)-3-hydroxyalkanoic acids. Biomacromolecules 3, 133-138
- Doi, Y. 1990: Microbial polyester. VCH pulicher, Inc., New York
Galego, N., C. Rozsa, R. Sanchez, J. Fung, A. Vazquez, and J.S. Tomas. 2000. Characterization and application of poly(
$\beta$-hydroxyal-kanoates) family as compositic biomaterials. Polym. Testing 19, 485-492.
Jang, J.-H. and P.L. Rogers. 1996. Effect of levulinic acid on cell growth and poly-
$\beta$-hydroxyalkanoate production by Alcaligenes sp. SH-69. Biotechnol. Lett. 18, 219-224.
- Kim, D.Y., J.S. Nam, and Y.H. Rhee. 2002a. Characterization of an extracellular medium-chain-length polyhydroxyalkanoate depolymerase from Pseudomonas alcaligenes LB-19. Biomacromolecules 3, 291-296
- Park, S.K., K.T, Lee, Y.B. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 1997. Biosynthesis of polyhydroxybutyrate and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) by Bacillus thuringiensis R-510. J. Microbiol. 35, 127-133
- Madison, L.A. and G.W. Huisman. 1999. Metabolic engineering of poly(3-hydroxyalkanoates): from DNA to plastic. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 63, 21-53
- Yoon, J.S., J.Y. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 1995. Effects of amino acid addition on molar fraction of 3-hydroxyvalerate in copolyester of 3-hydroxybutyrate and 3-hydroxyvalerate synthesized by Alcaligenes sp. SH-69. J. Fermen. Bioeng. 80, 350-354
- Brandl, H., R. Bachofen, J. Mayer, and E. Wintermantel. 1995. Degradation and applications of polyhydroxyalkanoates. Can. J. Microbiol. 41, 143-153
- Doi, Y., Y. Kanesawa, M. Kunioka, and T. Saito, 1990. Biodegradation of microbial copolyesters: poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-4-hydroxybutyrate). Macromolecules 23, 26-31
- Kim, D.Y., J.H. Yun, K.S. Bae, and Y.H. Rhee. 2002b. Purification and characterization of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) depolymerase from a fungal isolate, Emericellopsis minima W2. J. Microbiol. 40, 129-133
- Marois, Y., Z. Zhang, M. Vert, X. Deng, R. Lenz, and R. Guidoin, 1999: Hydrolytic and enzymatic incubation of polyhydroxyoctanoate (PHO): a short-term in vitro study of a degradable bacterial polyester. J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed. 10, 483-499
- Steinbchel, A. and T. Lutke-Eversloh. 2003. Metabolic engineering and pathway construction for biotechnological production of relevant polyhydroxyalkanoates in microorganisms. Biochem. Eng. J. 16, 81-96
Kansiz, M., H. Billman-Jacobe, and D. McNaughton. 2000. Quantitative determination of the biodegradable polymer poly(
$\beta$-hydroxybutyrate) in a recombinant Escherichia coli strain by use of mid-infrared spectroscopy and multivariative statistics. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66, 3415-3420.
- Choi, G.G., M.W. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 2003. Production of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) with high molar fractions of 3-hydroxyvalerate by a threonine-overproducing mutant of Alcaligenes sp. SH-69. Biotechnol. Lett. 25, 665-670
Quinteros, R., S. Goodwin, R.W. Lenz, and W.H. Park, 1999: Extracellular degradation of medium chain length poly(
$\beta$-hydroxyalkanoates) by Comamonas sp. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 25, 135-143.
- Kim, D.Y. and Y.H. Rhee. 2003. Biodegradation of microbial and synthetic polyesters by fungi. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 61, 300-308
- Molitoris, H.P., S.T. Moss, G.J. M. de Koning, D. Jendrossek. 1996. Scanning electron microscopy of polyhydroxyalkanoate degradation by bacteria. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 46, 570-579
- Chung, S.H., G.G. Choi, H.W. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 2001. Effect of levulinic acid on the production of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co- 3-hydroxyvalerate) by Ralstonia eutropha KHB-8862. J. Microbiol. 39, 79-82
- Jendrossek, D. and R. Handrick. 2002. Microbial degradation of polyhydroxyalkanoates. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 56, 403-432
- Kang, H.O., C.W. Chung, H.W. Kim, Y.B. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 2001. Cometabolic biosynthesis of copolyesters consisting of 3-hydroxyvalerate and medium-chain-length 3-hydroxyalkanoates by Pseudomonas sp. DSY-82. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 80, 185-191
- Luo, S. and A.N. Netravali. 2003. A study of physical and mechanical properties of poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyvalerate) during composting. Polym. Degard. Stab. 80, 59-66
- Zinn, M., B. Witholt, and T. Egli. 2001. Occurrence, synthesis and medical application of bacterial polyhydroxyalkanoate. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 53, 5-21
- Renstad, R., S. Karlsson, and A.C. Albertsson. 1999. The influence of processing induced differences in molecular structure on the biological and non-biological degradation of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate), P(3-HB-co-3-HV). Polym. Degrad. Stab. 63, 201-211
- Kim, Y.B., D.Y. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 1999. PHAs produced by Pseudomonas putida and Pseudomonas oleovorans grown with n-alkanoic acids containing aromatic groups. Macromolecules 32, 6058-6064
Ramsay, B.A., K. Lomaliza, C. Chavarie, B. Dube, P. Bataille, and J.A. Ramsay. 1990. Production of poly-(
$\beta$-hydroxybutyric-co- $\beta$-hydroxyvaleric) acids. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 56, 2093-2098.
- Yoshie, N., M. Fujiwara, K.-I. Kasuya, H. Abe, Y. Doi, and Y. Inoue. 1999. Effect of monomer composition and composition distribution on enzymatic degradation of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate). Macromol. Chem. Phys. 200, 977-982
- Choi, G.G., C.W. Chung, H.W. Kim, Y.H. Rhee, and Y.B. Kim. 2004. Unusual properties of poly (3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) isolated from Pseudomonas sp. HJ-2. Macromolecular Symposia. In press
- Chung, C.W., H.W. Kim, Y.B. Kim, and Y.H. Rhee. 2003. Poly(ethylene glycol)-grafted poly(3-hydroxyundecenoate) networks for enhanced blood compatibility. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 32, 17-22
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2005. "" Biotechnology and bioprocess engineering, 10(6): 540~545
저자의 다른 논문
- 2001 "Effect of Levulinic Acid on the Production of Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) by Ralstonia eutropha KHB-8862" The journal of microbiology 39 (1): 79~82
- 2002 "Purification and Characterization of Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) Depolymerase from a Fungal Isolate, Emericellopsis minima W2" The journal of microbiology 40 (2): 129~133
- 2003 "불포화 폴리(3-히드록시알칸오에이트)를 기질로 한 경피제제의 약물방출" 폴리머 = Polymer (Korea) 27 (6): 536~541
- 2003 "Characterization of a Bioflocculant Produced by an Isolate, Bacillus megaterium G31" 환경생물 = Korean journal of environmental biology 21 (4): 358~365
- 2005 "Pseudomonas chlororaphis HS21에 의한 식물유로부터 Medium-Chain-Length Polyhydroxyalkanoates 생합성이 미치는 포도당 및 아크릴산의 첨가 효과" Korean journal of microbiology = 미생물학회지 41 (3): 225~231
- 2005 "Biocompatibility of Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) Copolyesters Produced by Alcaligenes sp. MT-16" Biotechnology and bioprocess engineering 10 (6): 540~545
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기