Transformation of Medicago truncatula with rip1-GUS Gene
Medicago truncatula is a model plant for molecular genetic studies of legumes and plant-microbe interactions. To accelerate finding of genes that play roles in the early stages of nodulation and stress responses, a trans-genic plant was developed that contains a promoterreporter fusion. The promoter of rip], a Rhizobium-induced peroxidase gene, was fused to the coding region of $\beta-glucuronidase (GUS)$ gene and inserted into a modified plant transformation vector, pSLJ525YN, in which the bar gene was preserved from the original plasmid but the neomycin phosphotransferase gene was replaced by a polylinker. Transformation of M. truncatula was carried out by vacuum infiltration of young seedlings with Agrobacterium. Despite low survival rates of infiltrated seedlings, three independent transformants were obtained from repeated experiments. Southern blot analyses revealed that 7 of 8 transgenic plants of the T 1 generation contained the bar gene whereas 6 $T_1$ plants contained the GUS gene. These results indicate that vacuum infiltration is an effective method for transformation of M. truncatula. The progeny seeds of the transgenic plants will be useful for mutagenesis and identification of genes that are placed upstream and may influence the expression of rip] in cellular signaling processes including nodulation.
- Catoira, R , C Galera, F de Billy, R. V. Penmetsa, E P Journet, F Maillet, C. Rosenberg, D. Cook, C. Gough, and J. Denarie. 2000. Four genes of Medicago truncatula controlling components of a nod factor transduction pathway. Plant Cell 12 1647-1666
- Chen, D -H. and P C Ronald. 1999. A rapid DNA minipreparation method suitable for AFLP and other PCR applications Plant Mol Biol Rep 17 . 53-57
- Handberg, K. and J. Stougaard 1992 Lotus japonicus, an autogamous, diploid legume species for classical and molecular genetics. Plant J. 2 . 487-496
- Harrison, M. J 2000 Molecular genetics of model legumes. Trends Plant Sci 5 414-415
- Scheres, B., F van Engelen, E van der Knaap, C. van de Weil, A van Kammen, and T. Bisseling. 1990. Sequential induction of nodulin gene expression in the developing pea nodule Plant Cell 2 : 687-700
- Thoquet, P., M. Gherardi, E.-P. Journet, A. Kereszt, J.-M. Ane, J M. Prosperi, and T Huguet 2002. The molecular genetic linkage map of the model legume Medicago truncatula: an essential tool for comparative legume genomics and the isolation of agronomically important genes. BMC Plant BioI 2 : 1-13
- Trieu, A. T, S H. Burleigh, I V. Kardailsky, I E. MaldonadoMendoza, W. K. Versaw, L. A. Blaylock, H Shin, T. J. Chiou, H. Katagi, G R. Dewbre, D. Weigel, and M J Harrison 2000. Transformation of Medicago truncatula via infiltration of seedlings or flowering plants with Agrobacterium Plant J. 22 : 531-541
- van de Sande, K., K. Pawlowski, I. Czaja, U Wieneke, J. Schell, J Schmidt, R. Walden, M. Matvienko, J Wellink, A van Kammen, H. Franssen, and T. Bisseling. 1996. Modification of phytohormone response by a peptide encoded by ENOD40 of legumes and a nonlegume Science 273 . 370-373
- Trieu, A T. and M J. Harrison. 1996. Rapid transformation of Medicago truncatula: regeneration via shoot organogenesis. Plant Cell Rep. 16 6-11
- Blondon, F, D. Marie, S. Brown, and A. Kondorosi 1994. Genome size and base composition in Medicago sativa and Medicago truncatula species. Genome 37 264-270
- Cook, D., D. Dreyer, D. Bonnet, M. Howell, E Nony, and K. VandenBosch 1995 Transient induction of a peroxidase gene in Medicago truncatula precedes infection by Rhizobium meliloti Plant Cell 7 43-55
- Mylona, P., K. Pawlowski, and T. Bisseling. 1995. Symbiotic nitrogen fixation Plant Cell 7 : 869-885
- Journet, E. P., M. Pichon, A Dedieu, F de Billy, G. Truchet, and D. G Barker 1994 Rhizobium meliloti Nod factors elicit cell-specific transcription of the Enod12 gene in transgenic alfalfa. Plant J 6 . 241-249
- Penmetsa, R. V. and D R. Cook. 1997. A legume ethylene-insensitive mutant hyperinfected by Its rhizobial symbiont. Science 275 : 527-530
- Li, X., Y Zhang, J . D. Clarke, Y Li, and X Dong 1999. Identification and cloning of a negative regulator of systemic acquired resistance, SNI1, through a screen for suppressors of nprl-1. Cell 98 329-339
- Gallagher, S R 1992 Quantitation of GUS activity by fluorometry In GUS Protocols, Gallagher SR ed, Academic Press, New York
- Nam, Y-W, R. V. Penmetsa, G Endre, P Uribe, D. Kim, and D. R. Cook 1999. Construction of a bacterial artificial chromosome Iibrary of Medicago truncatula and identification of clones for ethylene responsive genes Theor Appl. Genet 98 . 638-646
- Jones, J D. G., L. Shlumukov, F. Carland, J English, S. R. Scofield, G. J. Bishop, and K Harrison. 1992 Effective vectors for transformation, expression of heterologous genes, and assaying transposon excision in transgenic plants. Transgenic Res 1 : 285-297
- VandenBosch, K. A , G. Endre, J. I Hur, J. Moore, P Beremand, H. M. Peng, L ElliS, and C D. Town 2000. Functional genomic analysis of early symbiotic development in Medicago truncatula. Molecular Genetics of Model Legumes, John Innes Institute, England, July 24-28.
- Barker, D. G., S. Bianchi, F Blondon, Y. Dattee, G. Duc, S. Essad, P. Flament, P. Gallusci, G Genier, P. Guy, X. Muel, J Tourneur, J. Denarie, and T Huguet 1990 Medicago truncatula, a model plant for studying the molecular genetics of the Rhizobiumlegume symbiosis. Plant Mol. Biol Rep 8 : 40-49
- Cook, D. R. 1999. Medicago truncatula a model in the making! Curr Opin. Plant Biol. 2 301-304
- Luehrsen, K R., J. R. de Wet, and V. Walbot 1992. Transient expression analysis in plants using firefly luciferase reporter gene. Methods Enzymol. 216 : 397-414
- Bell, C J., R A Dixon, A D. Farmer, R. Flores, J. Inman, R. A Gonzales, M. J. Harrison, N. L. Paiva, A D Scott, J. W. Weller, and G D May. 2001. The Medicago genome initiative: a model legume database. Nucleic Acids Res. 29 : 114-117
- Penmetsa, R. V and D. R. Cook 2000 Production and characterization of diverse developmental mutants of Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiol. 123 . 1387-1397
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기