Enhancement of Gene Delivery to Cancer Cells by a Retargeted Adenovirus
The inefficiency of in vivo gene transfer using currently available vectors reflects a major hurdle in cancer gene therapy. Both viral and non-viral approaches that improve gene transfer efficiency have been described, but suffer from a number of limitations. Herein, a fiber-modified adenovirus, carrying the small peptide ligand on the capsid, was tested for the delivery of a transgene to cancer cells. The fiber-modified adenovirus was able to mediate the entry and expression of a $\beta$ -galactosidase into cancer cells with increased efficiency compared to the unmodified adenovirus. Particularly, the gene transfer efficiency was improved up to 5 times in OVCAR3 cells, an ovarian cancer cell line. Such transduction systems hold promise for delivering genes to transferrin receptor overexpressing cancer cells, and could be used for future cancer gene therapy.
- Hong, J.S. and J. A. Engler, 1996. Domains required for assembly of adenoviurs type 2 fiber trimers, J. Virol. 70, 7071-7078
- Joung, I., H.S. Kim, J.S. Hong, H. Kwon, and Y.K. Kwon, 2000. Effective gene transfer into regeneration sciatic nerves by adenoviral vector: potentials for gene therapy of peripheral nerve injury. Mol. Cells 10, 540-545
- Joung, I., G. Harber, K.M. Gerecke, S.L. Carroll, J.F. Collawn, and J. A. Engler, 2005. Improved gene delivery into neuroglial cells using a fiber-modified adenovirus vector. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 328, 1182-1187
- Michael, S.I., J.S. Hong, D.T. Curiel, and J.A. Engler, 1995. Addition of a short peptide ligand to the adenovirus fiber protein. Gene Ther. 2, 660-668
- Miyamoto, T., N. Tanaka, Y. Eishi, and T. Amagasa, 1994. Transferrin receptor in oral tumors. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 23, 430-433
- Wen, D.Y., W.A. Hall, and O. Fodstad, 1993. Rapid detection of transferrin receptor expression on glioma cell lines by using magnetic microspheres. Neurosurgery 33, 878-881
- Keer, H.N., J.M. Kozlowshi, Y.C. Tsai, C. Lee, R.N. McEwan, and J.T. Grayhack, 1990. Elevated transferrin receptor content in human prostate cancer cell lines assessed in vitro and in vivo. J. Urol. 143, 381-385
- Wickham, T. J., 2000. Targeting adenovirus. Gene Ther. 7, 110-114
- Curiel, D.T., S. Agarwal, E. Wagner, and M. Cotten, 1991. Adenovirus enhancement of transferrin-polylysine-mediated gene delivery. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 8850-8854
- Li, H., H. Sun, and Z.M. Qian, 2002. The role of the transferrintransferrin- receptor system in drug delivery and targeting. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 23, 206-209
- Xu, L., C.-C. Huang, W. Huang, W.-H. Tang, A. Rait, Y.Z. Yin, I. Cruz, L.-M. Xiang, K.F. Pirollo, and E.H. Chang. 2002. Systemic tumor-targeted gene delivery by anti-transferrin receptor scFv-immunoliposomes. Mol. Cancer Ther. 1, 337-346
- Krasnykh, V., I. Dmitriev, J.G. Navarro, N. Belousova, E. Kashentseva, J. Xiang, J.T. Douglas, and D.T. Curiel, 2000. Advanced generation adenoviral vectors possess augmented gene transfer efficiency based upon coxsackie adenovirus receptor-independent cellular entry capacity. Cancer Res. 60, 6784-6787
- Ryschich, E., G. Huszty, H.P. Knaebel, M. Hartel, M.W. Buchler, and J. Schmidt, 2004. Transferrin receptor is a marker of malignant phenotype in human pancreatic cancer and in neuroendocrine carcinoma of the pancreas. Eur. J. Cancer 40, 1418-1422
- Wagner, E., K. Zatloukal, M. Cotten, H. Kirlappos, K. Mechtler, D.T. Curiel, and M. L. Birnstiel, 1992. Coupling of adenovirus to transferrin-polylysine/DNA complexes greatly enhances receptor-mediated gene delivery and expression of transfected genes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 6099-6103
- Benihoud, K., P. Yeh, and M. Perricaudet, 1999. Adenovirus vectors for gene delivery. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 10, 440-447
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기