Comparison of Bacterial Cellulose Production in a Jar Fermentor Between Acetobacter xylinum BPR2001 and its Mutant, Acetan-Nonproducing Strain EP1
The bacterial cellulose (BC) production by a wildstrain Acetobacter xylinum BPR2001 and that by its acetannonproducing mutant, EPI, were compared in a jar fermentor. EPI produced about $28\%$ less BC than the wild-strain. The apparent difference in the cultivation of the two strains was the viscosity increase in the culture broth that was closely associated with acetan production. Increasing the viscosity of the culture broth of EPI by adding agar led to the formation of relatively small and uniform BC pellets, and BC production consequently became two-fold higher than that in the absence of agar and was almost equal to that by BPR2001. Therefore, acetan has an important role in BC production by inducing physical changes in the culture broth of the wild-type strain.
- Yoshinaga, F., N. Tonouchi, and K. Watanabe. 1997. Research progress in production of bacterial cellulose by aeration and agitation culture and its application as a new industrial material. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 61: 219-224
- Toyosaki, H., T. Naritomi, A. Seto, M. Matsuoka, T. Tsuchida, and F. Yoshinaga. 1995. Screening of bacterial cellulose-producing Acetohacter strains suitable for agitated culture. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 59: 1498-1502
- Chao, Y., T. Ishida, Y. Sugano, and M. Shoda. 2000. Bacterial cellulose production by Acetobacter .xylinum in a 50-L internal-loop airlift reactor. Biotech. Bioeng. 68: 345-352
- Ishida, T., Y. Sugano, and M. Shoda. 2002. Novel glycosyltransferase genes involved in the acetan biosynthesis of Acetobacter xylinum. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 295: 230- 235
- Wulf, P. D., K. Joris, and E. J. Vandamme. 1996. Improved cellulose formation by an Acetobacter xylinum mutant limited in (keto)gluconate synthesis. J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol. 67: 376- 380
- Brede, G., E. Fjaervik, and S. Valla. 1991. Nucleotide sequence and expression analysis of the Acetobacter xylinum uridine diphosphoglucose pyrophosphorylase gene. J. Bacteriol. 173: 7042- 7045
- Hong, S. H., S. Y. Moon, and S. Y. Lee. 2003. Prediction of maximum yields of metabolites and optimal pathways for their production by metabolic flux analysis. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13: 571- 577
- Tonouchi, N., T. Tsuchida, F. Yoshinaga, T. Beppu, and S. Horinouchi. 1996. Characterization of the biosynthetic pathway of cellulose from glucose and fructose in Acetobacter xylinum. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 60: 1377-1379
- Ross, P., R. Mayer, and M. Benziman. 1991. Cellulose biosynthesis and function in bacteria. Microbiol. Rev. 55: 35-58
- Colquhoun, I. J., M. Defernez, and V. J. Morris. 1995. NMR studies of acetan and the related bacterial polysaccharide, CR1/4, produced by a mutant strain of Acetobacter xylinum. Carbohydr. Res. 269: 319- 331
- Ishida, T., Y. Sugano, T. Nakai, and M. Shoda. 2002. Effect of acetan on production of bacterial cellulose by Acetobacter xylinum. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 66: 1677- 1681
- Lee, J. H., J. H. Kim, M. R. Kim, S. M. Lim, S. W. Nam, J. W. Lee, and S. K. Kim. 2002. Effect of dissolved oxygen concentration and pH on the mass production of high molecular weight pullulan by Aureobasidium pullulans. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 12: 1-7
- Tsuchida, T. and F. Yoshinaga. 1997. Production of bacterial cellulose by agitation culture systems. Pure Appl. Chem. 69: 2453- 2458
- Edwards, K. J., A. J. Jay, I. J. Colquhoun, V. J. Morris, M. J. Gasson, and A. M. Griffin. 1999. Generation of a novel polysaccharide by inactivation of the aceP gene from the acetan biosynthetic pathway in Acetobacter xylinum. Microbiology 145: 1499- 1506
- Siegmund, D. and H. Diekmann. 1989. Estimation of fermentation biomass concentration by measuring oxygen uptake off-line with an oxygen electrode. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 32: 32- 36
- Son, C. J., S. Y. Chung, J. E. Lee, and S. J. Kim. 2002. Isolation and cultivation characteristics of Acetobacter xylinum KJ-1 producing bacterial cellulose in shaking cultures. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 12: 722- 728
- Wong, H. C., A. L. Fear, R. D. Calhoon, G. H. Eichinger, R. Mayer, D. Amikam, M. Benzirnan, D. H. Gelfand, J. H. Meade, A. W. Emerick, R. Bruner, A. B. Bassat, and R. Tal. 1990. Genetic organization of the cellulose synthase operon in Acetobacter xylinum. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87: 8130- 8134
- Jonas, R. and L. F. Farah. 1998. Production and application of microbial cellulose. Polym. Degrad. Stab. 59: 101- 106
- Matsuoka, M., T. Tsuchida, K. Matsushita, O. Adachi, and F. Yoshinaga. 1996. A synthetic medium for bacterial cellulose production by Acetobacter xylinum subsp. sucrofermentans. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 60: 575- 579
- Ojinnaka, C., A. J. Jay, I. J. Colquhoun, G. J. Brownsey, E. R. Morris, and V. J. Morris. 1996. Structure and conformation of acetan polysaccharide. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 9: 149-156
- Couso, R. O., L. Ielpi, and M. A. Dankert. 1987. A xanthangum-like polysaccharide from Acetobacter xylinum. J. Gen. Microbiol. 133: 2123- 2135
- Cho, Y. S., R. D. Park, Y. W. Kim, H. Hwangbo, W. J. Jung, J. S. Shu, B. S. Koo, H. B. Krishnan, and K.Y. Kim. 2003. PQQ-dependent organic acid production and effect on common bean growth by Rhizobium tropici CIAT 899. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13: 955- 959
- Ishikawa, A., T. Tsuchida, and F. Yoshinaga. 1998. Relationship between sulfaguanidine resistance and increased cellulose production in Acetobaeter xylinum BPR 3001E. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 62: 1234- 1236
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2006. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 16(3): 374~380
- 2006. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 16(6): 961~964
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기