Neural Network Active Control of Structures with Earthquake Excitation
This paper presents a new neural network control for nonlinear bridge systems with earthquake excitation. We design multi-layer neural network controllers with a single hidden layer. The selection of an optimal number of neurons in the hidden layer is an important design step for control performance. To select an optimal number of hidden neurons, we progressively add one hidden neuron and observe the change in a performance measure given by the weighted sum of the system error and the control force. The number of hidden neurons which minimizes the performance measure is selected for implementation. A neural network was trained for mitigating vibrations of bridge systems caused by El Centro earthquake. We applied the proposed control approach to a single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) and a two-degree-of-freedom (TDOF) bridge system. We assessed the robustness of the control system using randomly generated earthquake excitations which were not used in training the neural network. Our results show that the neural network controller drastically mitigates the effect of the disturbance.
- T. T. Soong, Active Structural Control: Theory and Practice, Addison-Wesley, 1990
- J. Sietsma and R. Dow, 'Neural net pruning-why and how,' Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 1, pp. 325- 333, 1988
- M. S. Fadali and K. E. Zayyat, 'Disturbance rejection control of bridge response to earthquake excitation,' Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 25, pp. 291-302, 1996
- G. Mirchandani and W. Cao, 'On hidden nodes for neural nets,' IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 661-664, 1989
- S. Haykin, Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, Prentice Hall, 1999
- J. Ghaboussi and A. Joghataie, 'Active control structures using neural networks,' Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 555- 567, 1995
- H. C. Cho, 'A study on vibration control of building structure using neural network predictive control,' Master Thesis, Dong-A University, Korea, 1999
- A. Tani, H. Kawamura, and S. Ryu, 'Intelligent fuzzy optimal control of building structures,' Journal of Engineering Structures, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 184-192, 1998
K. Yoshida, S. Kang, and T. Kim, 'LQG control and
$H_\infty$control of vibration isolation for multidegree- of-freedom systems,' Proc. of First World Conference on Structural Control, CA, pp. TP4-43-52, 1994
- J.-J. E. Slotine and W. Li, Applied Nonlinear Control, Prentice Hall, 1991
- M. Saiidi, 'Hysteresis models for reinforced concrete,' Journal of the Structural Division of ASCE, vol. 108, no. ST5, pp. 1077-1087, 1982
- M. Saerens and A. Soquet, 'Neural controller based on back-propagation algorithm,' IEE Proc.-F, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 55-62, 1991
- S. Kung and J. Hwang, 'An algebraic projection analysis for optimal hidden units size and learning rates in backpropagation learning,' Technical Report, Princeton University, 1987
- K. G. Mehrotra, C. K. Mohan, and S. Ranka, 'Bound on the number of samples needed for neural learning,' IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 548-558, 1991
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison- Wesley, 1989
- R. P. Lippmann, 'An introduction to computing with neural nets,' IEEE ASSP Magazine, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 4-22, 1987
저자의 다른 논문
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기