An Adaptive Power Saving Mechanism in IEEE 802.11 Wireless IP Networks
Reducing energy consumption in mobile hosts (MHs) is one of the most critical issues in wireles/mobile networks. IP paging protocol at network layer and power saving mechanism (PSM) at link layer are two core technologies to reduce the energy consumption of MHs. First, we investigate the energy efficiency of the current IEEE 802.11 power saving mechanism (PSM) when IP paging protocol is deployed over IEEE 802.11 networks. The result reveal that the current IEEE 802.11 PSM with a fixed wakeup interval (i.e., the static PSM) exhibits a degraded performance when it is integrated with IP paging protocol. Therefore, we propose an adaptive power saving mechanism in IEEE 802.11-based wireless IP networks. Unlike the static PSM, the adaptive PSM adjusts the wake-up interval adaptively depending on the session activity at IP layer. Specifically, the MH estimates the idle periods for incoming sessions based on the exponentially weighted moving average (EWMA) scheme and sets its wake-up interval dynamically by considering the estimated idle period and paging delay bound. For performance evaluation, we have conducted comprehensive simulations and compared the total cost and energy consumption, which are incurred in IP paging protocol in conjunction with various power saving mechanisms: The static PSM, the adaptive PSM, and the optimum PSM. Simulation results show that the adaptive PSM provides a closer performance to the optimum PSM than the static PSM.
- V. Katie, S. Pack, and Y. Choi, 'Performance evaluation of IP paging with power saving mechanism,' in Proc. IEEE LCN 2003, Bonn, Germany, Oct. 2003
- IEEE 802.11b WG, Part 11, Wireless LAN medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specification: High-Speed Physical Layer Extension in the 2.4 GHz Band, IEEE, 1999
- S. Pack, V. Katie, and Y. Choi, 'Performance analysis ofIP paging protocol in IEEE 802.11 networks,' in Proc. IEEE WLN 2003, Bonn, Germany, Oct. 2003
- E. Jung and N. H. Vaidya, 'An energy efficient MAC protocol for wireless LANs,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2002, New York, USA, June 2002
- D. Mcdysan, QoS and Traffic Management in IP and ATM Networks, McGraw-Hill, 1999
- A. Balachandran et al. 'Characterizing user behavior and network performance in a public wireless LAN,' ACM SIGMETRICS Peiformance Evaluation Review, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 195-205, June 2002
- W. Wang, I. F. Akyildiz, and G. L. Stuber, 'Effective paging schemes with delay bounds as QoS constraints in wireless systems,' ACM Wireless Networks, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 455-466, Sept. 2001
- C. Castelluccia, 'Extending mobile IP with adaptive individual paging,' ACM Mobile Computing Commun. Review, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 14-26, Apr. 2001
- Y. Tseng, C. Hsu, and T. Hsieh, 'Power saving protocols for IEEE 802.11-based multi-hop ad hoc networks,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2002, New York, USA, June 2002
- X. Zhang, J. Castellanos, and A. Campbell, 'P-MIP: Paging extensions for mobile IP,' ACM Mobile Networks Appl., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 127-141, Apr. 2002
- M. Anand, E. B. Nightingale, and J. Flinn, 'Self-tuning wireless network power management,' in Proc. MOBICOM 2003, San Diego, USA, Sept. 2003
- R. Krashinsky and H. Balakrshnan, 'Minimizing energy for wireless web access with bounded slowdown,' in Proc. ACM MOBICOM 2002, Atlanta, USA, Sept. 2002
- R. Ramjee et al., 'IP paging service for mobile hosts,' ACM Wireless Networks, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 427-441, Sept. 2002
- R. Zheng, J. Hou, and L. Sha, 'Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 power saving mode,' in Proc. CNDS 2004, San Diego, USA, Jan. 2004
- W. Soh and H. Kim, 'QoS provisioning in cellular networks based on mobility prediction techniques,' IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 86-92, Jan. 2003
- IETF mobile IP Working Group, htrp://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mobileip-charter.html
- D. Staehle, K. Leibnitz, and K. Tsipotis, 'QoS of Internet access with GPRS,' ACM Wireless Networks, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 213-222, May 2003
- J. Kistler and M. Satyanarayanan, 'Disconnected operation in the coda file system,' ACM Trans. Computer Sys., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3-25, Feb. 1992
- J. Kempf et al., 'Requirements and functional architecture for IP host alerting protocol,' IETF RFC 3154, Aug. 2001
- T. Roos et al. 'A probabilistic approach to WLAN user location estimation,' Int. J. Wireless Inform. Networks, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 155-164, July 2002
- SD-Linkllb specification, available at http://www.c-guysusa.com/SD-Link%2011b.html
- I. F. Akyildiz, J. Ho, and Y. B. Lin, 'Movement-based location update and selective paging for pes networks,' IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 4, no. 4, pp.629-638, Aug. 1996
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기