MUVIS: Multi-Source Video Streaming Service over WLANs
Video streaming over wireless networks is challenging due to node mobility and high channel error rate. In this paper, we propose a multi-source video streaming (MUVIS) system to support high quality video streaming service over IEEE 802.1l-based wireless networks. We begin by collocating a streaming proxy with the wireless access point to help leverage both the media server and peers in the WLAN. By tracking the peer mobility patterns and performing content discovery among peers, we construct a multi-source sender group and stream video using a rate-distortion optimized scheme. We formulate such a multi-source streaming scenario as a combinatorial packet scheduling problem and introduce the concept of asynchronous clocks to decouple the problem into three steps. First, we decide the membership of the multisource sender group based on the mobility pattern tracking, available video content in each peer and the bandwidth each peer allocates to the multi-source streaming service. Then, we select one sender from the sender group in each optimization instance using asynchronous clocks. Finally, we apply the point-to-point rate-distortion optimization framework between the selected sender-receiver pair. In addition, we implement two different caching strategies, simple caching simple fetching (SCSF) and distortion minimized smart caching (DMSC), in the proxy to investigate the effect of caching on the streaming performance. To design more realistic simulation models, we use the empirical results from corporate wireless networks to generate node mobility. Simulation results show that our proposed multi-source streaming scheme has better performance than the traditional server-only streaming scheme and that proxy-based caching can potentially improve video streaming performance.
- T. Wang, H. Fang, and L. Chen, 'Low-delay and error-robust wireless video transmission for video communications,' IEEE Trans. Circuits Sys. Video Technol., vol. 12, no.12, Dec. 2002
- T. Nguyen and A. Zakhor, 'Protocols for distributed video streaming,' in Proc. IEEE ICIP 2002, Rochester, NY, USA, Sept. 2002
- A. Dan and D. Sitaram, 'A generalized interval caching policy for mixed interactive and long video environment,' in Proc. Multimedia Computing Networking Conf., San Jose, CA, USA, Jan. 1996
- Y. Wang et al., 'A network conscious approach to end-to-end video delivery over wide area networks using proxy servers,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 99, New York City, USA, Apr. 1999
- A. C. Begen, Y. Altunbasak, and M. A. Begen, 'Rate-distortion optimized on-demand media streaming with server diversity,' in Proc. IEEE ICIP 2003, Barcelona, Spain, Sept. 2003
- A. Majumdar et al., 'Multicast and unicast real-time video streaming over wireless LANs,' IEEE Trans. Circuits Sys. Video Technol., vol. 12, no.6, June 2002
- A. Dan and D. Sitaram, 'Butfer management policy for an on-demand video server,' Tech. Rep. 19347, IBM Research, Jan. 1993
- S. Floyd et al., 'Equation-based congestion control for unicast applications,' in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 2000, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug. 2000
- P. A. Chou and Z. Miao, 'Rate-distortion optimized streaming of packetized media,' Tech. Rep. MSR-TR-2001-35, Microsoft Research, Feb. 2001
- J. M. Almeida, D. L. Eager, and M. K. Vernon, 'A hybrid caching strategy for streaming media files,' in Proc. Multimedia Computing Networking Conf., San Jose, CA, Jan. 2001
- J. Chakareski and B. Girod, 'Server diversity in rate-distortion optimized media streaming,' in Proc. IEEE ICIP 2003, Barcelona, Spain, Sept. 2003
- S. Krishnamachari et al., 'Video streaming over wireless LANs: A crosslayer approach,' in Proc. Packet Video Workshop, Nantes, France, Apr. 2003
- M. Hefeeda et al., 'Promise: Peer-to-peer media streaming using collectcast,' in ACM Int. Conf Multimedia, Berkeley, California, USA, Nov. 2003
- D. Li et al., 'Proxy-driven rate-distortion optimized video streaming over wireless network using asynchronous clocks,' in Proc. Packet Video Workshop, Irvine, CA, Dec. 2004
- Z. Miao and A. Ortega, 'Proxy caching for efficient video services over the internet,' in Proc. Packet Video Workshop, New York City, USA, Apr. 1999
- M. Balazinska and P. Castro, 'Characterizing mobility and network usage in a corporate wirelss local-area network,' in Proc. MobiSys 2003, San Francisco, CA, USA, May 2003
- D. Li et al., 'Joint server/peer receiver-driven rate-distortion optimized video streaming using asynchronous clocks,' in Proc. IEEE ICIP 2004, Singapore, Oct. 2004
- G. Cheung, C. Chuah, and D. Li, 'Optimizing Video Streaming Against Transient Failures and Routing Instability,' in Proc. IEEE ICC 2004, Paris, France, June 2004
- R. Rejaie et al., 'Multimedia proxy caching mechanism for quality adaptive streaming applications in the internet,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2000, Tel Aviv, Israel, Mar. 2000
- A. Gurtov and S. Floyd, 'Modeling wireless links for transport protocols,' ACM SIGCOMM Computer Commun. Review, pp. 85-96, Apr. 2003
- X. Zhang et al., 'Donetlcoolstreaming: A data-driven overlay network for live media streaming,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2005, Miami, FL, USA, 2005
- R. Tewari et al., 'Caching in bandwidth and space constrained hierarchical hyper-servers,' Tech. Rep. CS-TR-96-30, Department of Computer Sciences, University of Texas at Austin, Jan. 1997
- S. Sen, J. Rexford, and D. Towsley, 'Proxy prefix caching multimedia streams,' in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'99, New York City, USA, Mar. 1999
- J. Chakareski, P. A. Chou, and B. Girod, 'Computing rate-distortion optimized policies for hybrid receiver/sender driven streaming of multimedia,' in Proc. Asilomar Conf Sig. Sys. Computers, Pacific Grove, CA, USA, Nov. 2002
- T. Yoshimura et al., 'Rate and robustness control with rtp monitoring agent for mobile multimedia streaming,' in Proc. IEEE ICC 2002, New York City, USA, Apr. 2002
- X. Xu et al., 'A peer-to-peer video-on-demand system using multiple description coding and server diversity,' in Proc. IEEE ICIP 2004, Singapore, Oct. 2004
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기