Mobility and QoS Support in 4G Wireless Networks
Fourth-generation (4G) wireless networks will be the IP-based cellular networks integrating Internet with the existing cellular networks. Two important issues should be concerned in the IP-based cellular networks, IP mobility, and quality-of-service (QoS) guarantees. In this paper, we proposed two mechanisms to solve the problems with IP mobility and RSVP-based QoS provisioning. First, virtual-IP (VIP) allocation scheme in areas with a large rate of handoff can minimize the wireless signaling overhead due to IP mobility. The access routers (ARs) create dynamically the VIP zone by using the measured handoff rate derived from the history of the handoff into neighboring ARs. We show that VIP allocation scheme reduces the binding update messages in the wireless link than hierarchical mobile IPv6. Second, the new advance resource reservation protocol called proportional aggregate RSVP (PA-RSVP) can minimize waste of bandwidth and soft state refresh overhead due to IP mobility. It allocates the bandwidth in advance between the mobility anchor point and neighboring ARs using proportional aggregate reservation. We also show that PA-RSVP provides an improved performance over existing protocols.
- G. Chiruvolu et al., 'Mobility and QoS support for IPv6-based real-time wireless Internet traffic,' in Proc. IEEE ICC'99, vol. 1, 1999, pp. 334-338
- C. Castelluccia and L. Bellier, 'Hierarchical mobile IPv6,' Internet Draft, draft-ieft-mipshop-hmipv6-03.txt, Dec. 2004
- X. Perez-Costa and M. Torrent-Moreno, 'A performance study of hierarchical mobile IPv6 from a system perspective,' in Proc. IEEEICC 2003, 2003
- R. Hsieh and Z. G. Zhou, 'SMIP: A seamless handoff architecture for mobile IP,' in Proc. INFO COM 2003, vol. 3, 2003, pp. 1774-1784
- D. Clark et al., 'Supporting real-time applications in an integrated services packet network architecture and mechanism,' in Proc. SIGCOMM'92, 1992, pp. 14-26
- W. T. Chen and L. C. Huang, 'RSVP mobility support: A signaling protocol for integrated services Internet with mobile hosts,' in Proc. INFOCOM 2000, vol. 3, 2000, pp. 1283-1292
- Y.-J. Suh et al., 'An efficient resource reservation protocol by QoS agents in mobile networks,' IEICE Trans. Commun., vol. E86-B, no. 3, pp. 1094-1101, Mar. 2003
- S. Mohan, R. Jain, 'Two user location strategies for personal communications services,' IEEE Pers. Commun., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 42-50, 1994
- ns2 simulator, version 2.1b7a. http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns, 2004
- F. Baker et al., 'Aggregation of RSVP for IPv4 and IPv6 reservations,' RFC 3175, 2001
- ns2 simulator, version 2.26, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns, 2004
- G. Evans and K. Baughan, 'Visions of 4G,' IEEE Electron. Commun., vol. 12, pp. 293-303, Dec. 2002
- S. Park and Y Choi, 'A study on performance of hierarchical mobile IPv6 in IP-based cellular networks,' IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. E87-B, no. 3, pp. 462-469, Mar. 2003
- A. S. Acampora and M. Naghshineh, 'An architecture and methodology for mobile-executed handoff in cellular ATM networks,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1365-1375, Oct. 1994
- T. Brown and S. Mohan, 'Mobility management for personal communications systems,' IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 269-278, 1997
- S. Pack et al., 'Seamless QoS handling mechanism in macro and micro mobility,' Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), vol. 2344, pp. 6273, 2002
- A. K. Talukdar et al., 'MRSVP: A reservation protocol for an integrated services packet networks with mobile hosts,' TR-337, 1997
- S. Thomson and T. Narten, 'IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration,' RFC 2462, 1998
- R. Berezdivin and R. Breinig, 'Next-generation wireless communication concepts and technologies,' IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 108-116, 2002
- A. Lopez and J. Manner, 'A study on QoS provision for IP-based radio access networks,' Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), vol. 2170, pp. 139-157, 2001
- R. Braden et al., 'Resource rservation protocol (RSVP) - version 1 functional specification,' RFC 2205,1997
- R. Braden et al., 'Integrated service in the Internet architecture: An overview,' RFC 1633, 1994
- D. Johnson and C. Perkins, 'Mobility support in IPv6,' RFC 3775, June 2003
- A. Terzis et al., 'A simple QoS signaling protocol for mobile hosts in the integrated services Internet,' in Proc. IEEE INFO COM '99, 1999, pp. 680-688
- K. Nichols et al., 'Definition ofthe differentiated services field (DS field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 headers,' RFC 2474,1998
- R. Koodli, 'Fast handoffs for mobile IPv6. Internet draft,' Internet Draft, draft-ietf-mobileip-fast-mipv6-02. txt, 2004
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기