Pharmacognostical Evaluation of Roots of Pygmaeopremna herbacea (Roxb.) Mold.
Pygmaeopremna herbacea (Roxb.) Mold. (Verbenaceae) is a small herb or sometimes an undershrub arising from a perennial rootstock. The dry roots are dark muddy brown in colour having root nodules. Its extensively developed roots are widely used in tribal medicine. They are used as an aphrodisiac and for the treatment of gout, rheumatism and ulcers. This study deals with the detailed pharmacognostical evaluation of the dried roots and root nodules of P. herbacea which includes macro and microscopic studies, determination of physicochemical parameters and chemoprofiling of the extract using HPTLC fingerprint profiles. It was observed that the roots consist of a well developed cortical region consisting of tangentially elongated thin walled parenchymatous cells and contain polygonal stone cells as well as compound starch grains. Also the pith was parenchymatous. The HPTLC fingerprint profile of the methanolic extract showed the presence of seven major bands. Such an analysis may thus be utilized in identifying P. herbacea and in differenciating it from other species which are similar to it or are used as its adultrants/substitutes under the same vernacular name of Bharangi.
- Anonymous, The Useful Plants of India, NISCOM (CSIR, New Delhi), 489 (1986)
- Goel, A.K., Sahoo, A.K., and Mudgal, V.A., Contribution to the ethnobotany of Santhal Pargana. Bihar Bot. Surv. India, Howrah (1984)
- Gopalan, S., Krishnamurthy, R., and Narayanan, C., Structure of sirutekkone, a diterpenoid from Premna herbacea. Phytochem. 27, 2249-2250 (1988)
- Prakash, A. and Singh, K.K., Observations on some high valued ethnomedicinal plants among the tribals of Uttar Pradesh. J. Med Arom. Plant Sci., 22-23, 519-521 (2000-2001)
- Saxena, H.O., Observations on the ethnobotany of Madhya Pradesh. Bull. Bot. Surv. India, 28, 149-156 (1986)
- Anonymous, The Wealth of India. A Dictionary of Indian Raw Material and Industrial Products (CSIR, New Delhi) 8, 239 (1950)
- Kokate, C.K., Practical Pharmacognosy. Vallabh Prakashan, Delhi, India, pp. 15-29 (1986)
- Narayanan, N., Thirugnanasambantham, P., Viswanathan, S., Sukumar, E., and Jeyaraman, P., Pharmacognostical studies on the roots of Clerodendrum serratum. Pharmaceutical Biol. 40, 362-368 (2002)
- Narayanan, N., Thirugnanasambantham, P., Viswanathan, S., Reddy, M.K., Vijayasekaran, V., and Sukumar, E., Antipyretic, antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activity of Premna herbacea roots. Fitoterapia 71, 147-153 (2000)
- Qingchang, M., Naijue, Z., and Weixin, C.A diterpenoid with a new carbon skeleton from Pygmaeopremna herbacea. Phytochem. 27, 1151-1152 (1988a)
- Maheshwari, J.K., Singh, K.K., and Saha, S., Ethnomedicinal uses of plants by Tharus in Kheri district U. P. Bull. Medicoethnobot. Res. 1, 318-337 (1980)
- Prakash, A. and Singh, K.K., Observations on some threatened plants and their conservation in Rajaji National Park in Uttaranchal, India. J Eco. Tax. Bot., 25, 363-366 (2001)
- Weixin, C., Two novel diterpenoids from Pygmaeopremna herbacea. J Nat. Prod 52, 581-587 (1989)
- Anonymous, Indian Pharmacopoeia, 2nd Edn. Government of India, New Delhi. (1966)
- Nayar, R.C., Yoganarasimhan, S.N., and Subramanyam, K, Pharmacognosy of a local market sample of Bharangi- Pygmaeopremna herbacea (Roxb.) Moldenke. Indian J. Pharm. 38, 39-42 (1976)
- Qingchang, M. and Weixin, C, Pygmaeoherin: novel coumarin from Pygmaeopremna herbacea. Planta Med. 54, 48-49 (1988b)
- Johansen, D.A., Plant Microtechnique, 1st Edn. Mc Graw Hill Book Co. Inc, New York and London, 1940
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기