Enhancement of CAD Model Interoperability Based on Feature Ontology
As the networks connect the world, enterprises tend to move manufacturing activities into virtual spaces. Since different software applications use different data terminology, it becomes a problem to interoperate, interchange, and manage electronic data among heterogeneous systems. It is said that approximately one billion dollar has been being spent yearly in USA for product data exchange and interoperability. As commercial CAD systems have brought in the concept of design feature for the sake of interoperability, terminologies of design features need to be harmonized. In order to define design feature terminology for integration, knowledge about feature definitions of different CAD systems should be considered. STEP standard have attempted to solve this problem, but it defines only syntactic data representation so that semantic data integration is not possible. This paper proposes a methodology for integrating modeling features of CAD systems. We utilize the ontology concept to build a data model of design features which can be a semantic standard of feature definitions of CAD systems. Using feature ontology, we implement an integrated virtual database and a simple system which searches and edits design features in a semantic way.
- Belli, F. and F.J. Radermacher. 1992. The TOVE Project: A Common-sense Model of the Enterprise, Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, 604, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 25-34
- Butterfield, W.R., M.K. Green, D.C. Scott and W.J. Stoker. 1986. Part features for process planning. CAM-I Report R-85-PPP-03
- Mun, D.H., S. Han, J.H. Kim and Y.C. Oh. 2003. A set of standard modeling commands for the history based parametric approach. Computer Aided Design, 35, 13, 1175-1179
- Vijayan, S. and C.S. Veda. 2002. Ontologies for conceptual modeling: their creation, use, and management. Data & Knowledge Engineering, 42, 251-271
- Gruninger, M. 2000. The process specification language (PSL): Overview and version 1.0 specification. NISTIR 6459, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Staub-French, S., M. Fischer, J. Kunz, B. Paulson, and K. Ishii. 2002. A feature ontology to support construction cost estimating. CIFE Working Paper 69
- Gruber, T. 1992. A mechanism to support portable ontologies. Technical Report KSL91-66, Stanford Knowledge Systems Laboratory
- International Alliance of Interoperability. 2001. IFC 2x extension modeling guide, http://www.iai.org.uk
- Choi, G.H., D.H. Mun and S.H. Han. 2002. Exchange of CAD part models based on the macro-parametric approach. International J. CAD/CAM, 2, 2, 23-31
- Gallaher, M.P, A.C. O'Connor and T. Phelps. 2002. Economic impact assessment of the international standard for the exchange of product model data (STEP) in transportation equipment industry. NIST
- Ciocoiu, M., M. Gruninger and D.S. Nau. 2000. Ontologies for integrating engineering applications. J. Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 1, 1, 12-22
- Kim, J. Y., P. O'Grady and R.E. Young. 1991. Feature taxonomies for rotational parts: A review and proposed taxonomies. International J. Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 4, 6, 341-350
- ISO TC184/SC4 1992 ISO10303-48 WD, Industrial Automation Systems and Integration-Product Data Representation and Exchange - Part 48 : Integrated Generic Resources : Form Features, second edition
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기