A Case Study on the Failure of Intake and Exhaust Valves for Marine Diesel Engines
Any failure of intake and exhaust valves of marine diesel engine must be regarded as serious, and any steps which can be taken to prevent such failure are desirable. The purposes of this study is to investigate and to analyse the failure causes of intake and exhaust valves for marine diesel engine during sea trial after completion of overhauling. In this study, to analyse the failure causes, we have carried out on board inspection, fractography test and discussion based on the specimen and repairing report provided by the ship owner. From the results of above inspection, test and discussion, it has been considered reasonable to conclude that the causes of damaged valves of the ship are as follow ; 1) During operation, the stick or seizure of valve spindle occurred and hence the movement of exhaust valve spindle was to be resisted and subsequently the engine was to be operated under an unappropriated valve timing and the exhaust valve sustained the repeated loads exceeding the fatigue strength of valve material. 2) By the loads above described, the fatigue fracture was initiated at the structural noncontinuous part of exhaust valve spindle, and then the valve head was finally fractured and dropped in the cylinder. 3) The fractured exhaust valve head impacted the intake valve at various direction to be bent or damaged.
- H.T.Corten and T.J.Dolan, 'Cumulative Fatigue Damage', Proc. of International Conference on Fatigue of Metals, pp. 235-246, 1986
- American Society for Metals, Metals Handbook Vol. 1, Properties and selection: Ferrous alloys and special-purpose materials, ASM, 1997
- Charlie R. Brooks and Ashok Choudhury, Failure Analysis of Engineering Materials, McGraw-Hill, p. 334, 2002
- Almar Naess, Handbook Offshore Steel Structures, Tapir, pp. 176-182, 1985
- American Society for Metals, Failure analysis and prevention, ASM, pp.61-63, 1985
- Techno-eye Publication, Atlas of Fractograph, echno-eye Publication, p.805, 1985
- Mitsubishi Diesel Engine, Exhaust Valve Inspection Report, 1995
- American Society for Metals, Metals Handbook Vol. 9, Metallography and micro structure, ASM, 1996
- Ralph I. Stephens, Ali Fatemi, Robert R. Stephens and Henry O. Fuchs, Metal Faigue in Engineering, John Wiley & Sons Inc., pp. 279-311, 2001
- Marcel Dekker Inc., Steel heat treatment handbook, Marcel Dekker Inc., 1999
- NDSL :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기