Postantibiotic Effects and Postantibiotic Sub-MIC Effects of Antibiotics on Fusobacterium nucleatum and Porphyromonas gingivalis
Postantibiotic effects (PAE) refer to suppression of the bacterial growth following limited periods of exposure to an antibiotic and subsequent to the removal of the antibiotic agent. Fusobacterium nucleatum and Porphyromonas gingivalis are Gram-negative anaerobic bacteria associated with several periodontal diseases. In this study, postantibiotic effects (PAE), postantibiotic sub-MIC effect (PA SME) and sub-MIC effect (SME) of antibiotics on F. nucleatum ATCC 25586 and P. gingivalis W50 were investigated. The PAE was induced by 10X the MIC of antibiotic and antibiotic was eliminated by washing. The PA SMEs were studied by addition of 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3X MICs during the postantibiotic phase of the bacteria, and the SMEs were studied by exposition of the bacteria to antibiotic at the sub-MICs only. Amoxicillin, doxycycline and tetracycline induced PAE for F. nucleatum ATCC 25586 and P. gingivalis W50. But metronidazole and penicillin induced PAE for only F. nucleatum ATCC 25586. Metronidazole and doxycycline induced PA SME and SME for both species of anaerobic bacteria used in this study. The PA SME values for both strains were substantially longer than the SME values. The present study showed the existence of PAE, PA SME and SME for various antibiotics against F. nucleatum ATCC 25586 and P. gingivalis W50.
- Craig, W.A. and Gudmundsson, S: The postantibiotic effect. Antibiotics in laboratory medicine: 403-31, 1991
- Karlowsky, J.A., Zhanel, G.G., Davidson, R.J. and Hoban, D.J.: Postantibiotic effect in Pseudomonas aeruginosa following single and multiple aminoglycoside exposures in vitro. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 33:937-947, 1994
- Lee, S.Y.: Postantibiotic effects and postantibiotic sub-MIC effects of amoxicillin on Strptococcus gordonii and Streptococcus sanguis. J. Chemother. 12:379-384, 2000
- Cars, O. and Odenholt, T.l.: The postantibiotic sub-MIC effect in vitro and in vivo. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 31:159-166, 1993
- Odenholt, T.l.: Pharmacodynamic effects of sub inhibitory antibiotic concentrations. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agent. 17: 1-8, 2001
- Craig, W. A.: Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic parameters: rationale for antibacterial dosing of mice and men. Clin. Infect. Dis. 26:1-12, 1998
- Gudmundsson, S., Einarsson, S., Erlendsdottir, H., Moffat, T., Bayer, W. and Craig, W.A.: The post-antibiotic effect of antimicrobial combinations in a neutropenic murine thigh infection model. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 31(SuppleD): 177-191, 1993
- Zhanel, G.G., Hoban, D.J. and Harding, G.K.: The postantibiotic effect. DICP. 25:153-63, 1991
- Gottfredsson, M., Erlendsdottir, H. and Gudmundsson, S.: Different patterns of bacterial DNA synthesis during the postantibiotic effect. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 39: 1314-1319, 1995
- Odenholt, T.I., Lowdin, E. and Cars, O.: Postantibiotic sub-MIC effects of vancomycin roxithromycin, sparfloxacin, and amikacin. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 36: 1852-1858, 1992
- Lowdin, E., Odenholt, T.I., Bengtsson, S. and Cars, O.: A new method to determine postantibiotic effect and effects of subinhibitory antibiotic concentrations. Antimicrob. Agents Chemoter. 37:2200-2205, 1993
- Li, R.C., Lee, S.W. and Kong, C.H.: Correlation between bactericidal activity and postantibiotic effect for five antibiotics with different mechanisms of action. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 40:39-45, 1997
- Bigger, J.W.: The bactericidal action of penicillin on Staphylococcus pyogenes. Ir. J. Med. Sci. 227:533-568, 1944
- Socransky, S.S., Haffajee, A.D., Cugini, M.A., Smith, C. and Jr, K.R.: Microbial complexes in subgingibal plaque. J. Clin. Periodontol. 25: 134-144, 1998
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2009. "" International journal of oral biology : official journal of the Korean Academy of Oral Biology and the UCLA Dental Research Institute, 34(3): 165~168
- 코리아스칼라 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기