The Expression of Galectin-3, a Beta-Galactoside Binding Protein, in Dendritic Cells
Background: Dendritic cells (DCs) are the most potent APCs (antigen-presenting cells) and playa critical role in immune responses. Galectin-3 is a biological lectin with a beta-galactoside binding affinity. Recently, proteomic analysis revealed the presence of galectin-3 in the exosome of mature DCs. However, the expression and function of galectin-3 in DCs remains unclear yet. Methods: We used bone marrow-derived DCs of mouse and showed the expression of galectin-3 in DCs by using flow cytometry analysis and Western blot analysis. Results: Galectin-3 was determined as single band of 35 kDa in Western blot analysis. Flow cytometry analysis showed the major growth factor for DCs, granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) and maturing agents, anti-CD40 monoclonal antibody (mAb) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) consistently increased the intracellular expression of galectin-3 in DCs compared to medium alone. In addition, DCs treated with maturing agents did marginally express galectin-3 on their surface. Conclusion: This study suggests that galectin-3 in DCs may be regulated by critical factors for DC function.
- Moutsatsos IK, Wade M, Schindler M, Wang JL: Endogenous lectins from cultured cells: nuclear localization of carbohydrate- binding protein 35 in proliferating 3T3 fibroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84;6452-6456, 1987
- Joo HG, Goedegebuure PS, Sadanaga N, Nagoshi M, Bernstorff W, Eberlein TJ: Expression and function of galectin-3, a beta-galactoside-binding protein in activated T lymphocytes. J Leuk Biol 69;555-564, 2001
- Dagher SF, Wang JL, Patterson RJ: Identification of galectin- 3 as a factor in pre-mRNA splicing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92;1213-1217, 1995
- Takenaka Y, Fukumori T, Yoshii T, Oka N, Inohara H, Kim HR, Bresalier RS, Raz A: Nuclear export of phosphorylated galectin-3 regulates its antiapoptotic activity in response to chemotherapeutic drugs. Mol Cell Biol 24;4395-4406, 2004
- Swarte VV, Mebius RE, Joziasse DH, Van den Eijnden DH, Kraal G: Lymphocyte triggering via L-selectin leads to enhanced galectin-3-mediated binding to dendritic cells. Eur J Immunol 28;2864-2871, 1998
- Dietz AB, Bulur PA, Knutson GJ, Matasic R, Vuk-Pavlovic S: Maturation of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells studied by microarray hybridization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 275;731-738, 2000
- Song YK, Billiar TR, Lee YJ: Role of galectin-3 in breast cancer metastasis: involvement of nitric oxide. Am J Pathol 160;1069-1075, 2002
- Zitvogel L, Regnault A, Lozier A, Wolfers J, Flament C, Tenza D, Ricciardi-Castagnoli P, Raposo G, Amigorena S: Eradication of established murine tumors using a novel cell-free vaccine: dendritic cell-derived exosomes. Nature Med 4;594-600, 1998
- Sano H, Hsu DK, Apgar JR, Yu L, Sharma BB, Kuwabara I, Izui S, Liu FT: Critical role of galectin-3 in phagocytosis by macrophages. J Clin Invest 112;389-397, 2003
- Thery C, Boussac M, Veron P, Ricciardi-Castagnoli P, Raposo G, Garin J, Amigorena, S: Proteomic analysis of dendritic cell-derived exosomes: a secreted subcellular compartment distinct from apoptotic vesicles. J Immunol 166;7309-7318, 2001
- Mellman I, Steinman RM: Dendritic cells: specialized and regulated antigen processing machines. Cell 106;255-258, 2001
- Woo HJ, Shaw LM, Messier JM, Mercurio AM: The major non-integrin laminin binding protein of macrophages is identical to carbohydrate binding protein 35 (Mac-2). J Biol Chem 265;7097-7099, 1990
저자의 다른 논문
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기