Effects of Graded Levels of Dietary Saccharomyces cerevisiae on Growth Performance and Meat Quality in Broiler Chickens
An experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of various dietary levels of Saccharomyces cerevisiae (SC) on the growth performance and meat quality (i.e., tenderness and oxidative stability) of Ross broiler chickens. Two hundred and forty dayold broiler chicks were fed four experimental diets with graded levels of SC at 0.0, 0.3, 1.0 and 3.0%. Each treatment consisted of six cages with 10 chicks per cage. Feed and water were provided ad libitum throughout the experiment that lasted for 5 wk. Birds were switched from starter to finisher diets at 3 wk of age. The average BW gains of broiler chickens increased (linear p 0.05) by dietary treatments up to 10 d of incubation. At 15 d of incubation, TBARS values of breast and thigh meats from all SC-treated groups were significantly lower (p
- Bolden, S. L. and L. S. Jensen. 1985. The effect of marginal levels of calcium, fish meal, torula yeast and alfalfa meal on feed intake, hepatic lipid accumulation, plasma estradiol and egg shell quality among laying hens. Poult. Sci. 64:937-946.
- Bonomi, A., B. M. Bonomi, A. Quarantelli and A. Orlandi. 1999. Organic chromium in the feeding of broiler chickens. Riv. Sci. Aliment. 28:385-397.
- Guignot, F., C. Touraille, A. Ouali and M. Renerre. 1994. Relationships between post-mortem pH changes and some traits of sensory quality in veal. Meat Sci. 37: 315-325.
- Jeremiah, L. E., A. K. W. Tong and L. L. Gibson. 1991. The usefulness of muscle color and pH for segregating beef carcasses into tenderness groups. Meat Sci. 30:97-114.
- Lee, J. I., Y. D. Kim, D. Y. Kim, Y. I. Choi, J. N. Ahn, H. S. Chae and J. H. Choi. 2002. Effects of Saccharomyces cerevisiae on growth performance and meat quality of broiler chickens. Proc. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. p. 34.
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrients Requiremenys of Poultry. 9th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Onifade, A. A., A. A. Odunsi, Q. A. Adebisi, A. Abubakar, A. E. Enowebot, E. Muma and O. A. Akinsoyinu. 2000. Comparison of the performance of starting pullets fed supplemental baker's or feed-grade yeast in diets containing high levels of palm kernel meal. Arch. Geflugel. 64:264-268.
- Takahashi, K. and L. S. Jensen. 1984. Effect of dietary composition and estradiol implants on hepatic microsomal mixed function oxidase and lipid deposition in growing chicks. Poult. Sci. 63:2217-2224.
- Mendonca, C. X. Jr., K. Takahashi and L. S. Jensen. 1984. Effect of fractions of fish meal and hepatic lipid deposition in estrogenized chicks. Poult. Sci. 63:1020-1026.
- Madriqal, S. A., S. E. Watkins, M. H. Adams, A. L. Waldroup and P. W. Waldroup. 1993. Effect of an active yeast culture on performance of broilers. Poult. Sci. 72:87 (Abstr.).
- Brenes, A., L. S. Jensen, K. Takahashi and S. L. Bolden. 1985. Dietary effects on content of hepatic lipid, plasma minerals, and tissue ascorbic acid in hens and estrogenized chicks. Poult. Sci. 64:947-954.
- Akiba, Y., K. Sato and K. Takahashi. 2001. Meat color modification in broiler chickens by feeding yeast Phaffia rhodozyma containing high concentrations of astaxanthin. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 10:154-161.
- Ampel, M., N. Mirsky and S. Yannai. 2000. Prevention of lipid oxidation by glucose tolerance factor. Czech J. Food Sci. 18:142-143.
- Onifade, A. A., A. A. Odunsi, G. M. Babatunde, B. R. Olorede and E. Muma. 1999. Comparison of the supplemental effects of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and antibiotics in low-protein and high-fiber diets fed to broiler chicken. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 52:29-39.
- Yoon, K. S. 2002. Texture and microstructure properties of frozen chicken breasts pretreated with salt and phosphate solutions. Poult. Sci. 1910-1915.
- Bradley, G. L., T. F. Savage and K. I. Timm. 1994. The effects of supplementing diets with Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. boulardii on male poult performance and ileal morphology. Poult. Sci. 73:1766-1770.
- Valdivie, M. 1975. Sacccharomyces yeast as a by-product from alcohol production on final molasses in diets for broilers. Cuban J. Agric. Sci. 9:327-331.
- Silva, J. A., L. Patarata and C. Martins. 1999. Influence of ultimate pH on bovine meat tenderness during ageing. Meat Sci. 52:453-459.
- Sushil, K. J. and P. Meliss. 1997. The effect of oxygen radicals metabolites and Vitamin E on glycosylation of proteins. Free Rad. Biol. Med. 22:593-596.
- Takahashi, K. and L. S. Jensen. 1985. Liver response to diet and estrogen in White Leghorn and Rhode Island Red chickens. Poult. Sci. 64:955-962.
- Line, J. E., J. S. Bailey, N. A. Cox, N. J. Stern and T. Tompkins. 1998. Effect of yeast-supplemented feed on Salmonella and Campylobacter populations in broiler. Poult. Sci. 77:405-410.
- Santin, E., A. Maiorka and M. Macar. 2001. Performance and intestinal mucosa development of broiler chickens fed diets containing Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell wall. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 10:236-244.
- Akiba, Y., L. S. Jensen and M. S. Lilburn. 1982. Effect of estrogen implants on hepatic lipid deposition in chicks fed different isonitrogenous and isocaloric diets. J. Nutr. 112:189-196.
- Purchas, R. W. 1990. An assessment of the role of pH differences in determining the relative tenderness of meat from bulls and steers. Meat Sci. 27:129-140.
- SAS. 2000. SAS/STAT User’s Guide: Version 6. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Bouton, P. E., P. V. Harris and W. R. Shorthose. 1971. Effect of ultimate pH upon the water-holding capacity and tenderness of mutton. J. Food Sci. 36: 435-439.
- Line, J. E., J. S. Bailey, N. A. Cox and N. J. Stern. 1997. Yeast treatment to reduce Salmonella and Campylobacter populations associated with broiler chickens subjected to transport stress. Poult. Sci. 76:1227-1231.
- Bolden, S. L., L. S. Jensen and K. Takahashi. 1984. Responses in calcium and phosphorus metabolism and hepatic lipid deposition among estrogenized chicks fed various dietary ingredient. J. Nutr. 114:591-597.
- Akiba, Y., L. S. Jensen and C. X. Mendonca. 1983. Laboratory model with chicks for assay of nutritional factors affecting hepatic lipid accumulation in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 62:143-151.
- Meyer, A. S., R. Karen and A. N. Jens. 1994. Critical assessment of the applicability of superoxide dismutase as an antioxidant in lipid foods. Food Chem. 51:171-175.
- Purchas, R. W. and R. Aungsupakorn. 1993. Further investigations into the relationship between ultimate pH and tenderness for beef samples from bulls and steers. Meat Sci. 34:163-178.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2009. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 22(4): 550~556
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기