Identification and Characterization of Hydrogen Peroxide-generating Lactobacillus fermentum CS12-1
Lactic acid bacteria were isolated from silage, which produce high level of hydrogen peroxide in cell culture supernatant. The 16S rDNA sequences of the isolate matched perfectly with that of Lactobacillus fermentum (99.9%), examined by a 16S rDNA gene sequence analysis and similarity search using the GenBank database, thus named L. fermentum CS12-1. L. fermentum CS12-1 showed resistance to low pH and bile acid. The production of hydrogen peroxide by L. fermentum CS12-1 was confirmed by catalase treatment and high-performance liquid chromatography. L. fermentum CS12-1 accumulated hydrogen peroxide in culture broth as cells grew, and the highest concentration of hydrogen peroxide reached 3.5 mM at the late stationary growth phase. The cell-free supernatant of L. fermentum CS12-1 both before and after neutralization inhibited the growth of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli K88 that causes diarrhea in piglets.
- Ahn, Y. T., K. L. Lim, J. C. Ryu, D. K. Kang, J. S. Ham, Y. H. Jang and H. U. Kim. 2002. Characterization of Lactobacillus acidophilus isolated from piglets and chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(10):1790-1797.
- Collins, E. B. and K. Aramaki. 1980. Production of hydrogen peroxide by Lactobacillus acidophilus. J. Dairy Sci. 63(3):353-357.
- Dahiya, R. S. and M. L. Speck. 1968. Hydrogen peroxide formation by lactobacilli and its effect on Staphylococcus aureus. J. Dairy Sci. 51(10):1568-1572.
- Ito, A., Y. Sato, S. Kudo, S. Sato, H. Nakajima and T. Toba. 2003. The screening of hydrogen peroxide-producing lactic acid bacteria and their application to inactivating psychrotrophic food-borne pathogen. Current Microbiol. 47:231-236.
- Kullisaar, T., M. Zilmer, M. Mikelsaar, T. Vihalemm, H. Annuk, C. Kairane and A. Kilk. 2002. Two antioxidative lactobacilli strains as promising probiotics. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 72(3):215-224.
Ocana, V. S., A. P. Holgado and M. E. Nader-Macias. 1999. Selection of vaginal
$H_2O_2$-generating Lactobacillus species for probiotic use. Current Microbiol. 38:279-284.
- Reinheimer, J. A., M. R. Demkow and M. C. Candioti. 1990. Inhibition of coliform bacteria by lactic cultures. Aust. J. Dairy Technol. 45:5-9.
- Sedewitz, B., K. H. Schleifer and F. Gotz. 1984. Purification and biochemical chracterization of pyruvate oxidase from Lactobacillus plantarum. J. Bacteriol. 160(1):273-278.
Siragusa, G. R. and M. G. Johnson. 1989. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes growth by the lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate-
$H_2O_2$antimicrobial system. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 55(11):2802-2805.
- Venkitanarayanan, K. S., C.-M. Lin, H. Bailey and M. P. Doyle. 2002. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella enteritidis and Listeria monocytogenes on on apples, oranges, and tomatoes by lactic acid with hydrogen peroxide. J. Food Protection. 65(1):100-105.
- Watson, J. A. and J. Schubert. 1969. Action of hydrogen peroxide on growth inhibition of Salmonella typhimurium. J. Gen. Microbiol. 57(1):25-34.
- Barnard, J. P. and M. W. Stinson. 1996. The alpha-hemolysin of Streptococcus gordonii is hydrogen peroxide. Infection and Immunity. 64(9):3853-3857.
- Sakamoto, M. and K. Momagata. 1996. Aerobic growth and activities of NADH oxidase and NADH peroxidase in lactic acid bacteria. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 82(3):210-216.
- Surono, I. S. 2003. In vitro probiotic perperties of indigenous dadhi lactic acid bacteria. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(5):726-731.
- Abee, T., L. Krockel and C. Hill. 1995. Bacteriocins: modes of action and potentials in food preservation and control of food poisoning. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 28(2):169-185.
- Ham, J. S., H. S. Kim, K. H. Hong, J. G. Kim, S. G. Geong, H. S. Chae, J. N. Ahn, D. K. Kang and H. U. Kim. 2003. Inhibitory activity of lactic acid bacteria against hazardous microbes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(10):1550-1554.
- Oh, S. J., M. H. Kim, J. J. Churey and R. W. Worobo. 2003. Purification and characterization of an antilisterial bacteriocin produced by Leuconostoc sp. W65. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13(5):680-686.
- Pato, U. 2003. Bile and acid tolerance of lactic acid bacteria isolated from dadhi and their antimutagenicity against mutagenic heated tauco. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(11):1680-1685.
- Bae, J.-S., J.-R. Byun and Y.-H Yoon. 2003. In vivo antagonistic effect of Lactobacillus helveticus CU631 against Salmonella enteritidis KU101 infection. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(3):430-434.
- Lindgren, S. E. and W. J. Dobrogosz. 1990. Antagonistic activities of lactic acid bacteria in food and feed fermentations. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 7(1-2):149-163.
- Piard, J. C. and M. Desmazeau. 1991. Inhibiting factors produced by lactic acid bacteria. Oxygen metabolites and catabolism end products. Le Lait. 71:525-541.
- Kim, J.-W. and S. N. Rajagospal. 2001. Antibacterial activities of Lactobacillus crispatus ATCC 33820 and Lactobacillus gasseri ATCC 33323. J. Microbiol. 39(2):146-148.
- Gilliland, S. E. 1979. Beneficial interrelationships between certain microorganisms and humans; candidate microorganisms for use as dietary adjuncts. J. Food Prot. 42:164-167.
- Bae, H. C., M. S. Nam and J. Y. Lee. 2002. Probiotic characterization of acid- and bile-tolerant Lactobacillus salivarius subsp. salivarius from Korean faeces. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(12):1798-1807.
- Lee, Y. K. and S. Salminen. 1995. The coming of age of probiotics. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 6:241-245.
- Annuk, H. J., J. Shchepetova, T. Kullisaar, E. Songisepp, M. Zilmer and M. Mikelsaar. 2003. Characterization of intestinal lactobacilli as putative probiotic candidates. J. Appl. Microbiol. 94(3):403-412.
- Baldry, M. G. 1983. The bactericidal, fungicidal and sporicidal properties of hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid. J. Appl Bacteriol. 54(3):417-423.
- Fuller, R. 1989. Probiotics in man and animals. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 66:365-378.
- Pavlova, S. I., A. O. Kilic, S. S. Kilic, J.-S. So, M. E. Nader-Macias, J. A. Simoes and L. Tao. 2002. Genetic diversity of vaginal lactobacilli from women in different countries based on 16S rRNA gene sequences. J. Appl. Microbiol. 92:451-459.
- Conway, P. L., S. L Gorbach and B. R. Goldin. 1987. Survival of lactic acid bacteria in the human stomach and adhesion to intestinal cells. J. Dairy Sci. 70(1):1-12.
- Jin, L. Z., Y. W. Ho, M. A. Ali, N. Abdullah and S. Jalaludin. 1996. Effect of adherent Lactobacillus spp. on in vitro adherence of salmonellae to the intestinal epithelial cells of chicken. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 81:201-206.
- Gilliland, S. E. and M. L. Speck. 1977. Antagonistic action of Lactobacillus acidophilus toward intestinal and foodborne pathogens in associative cultures. J. Food Prot. 40:820-823.
- Hawes, S. E., S. L. Hillier, J. Benedetti, C. E. Stevens, L. A. Koutsky, P. Wolner-Hanssen and K. K. Holmes. 1996. Hydrogen peroxide-producing lactobacilli and acquisition of vaginal infections. J. Infect. Dis. 174(5):1058-1063.
- 원문이 없습니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기