Effects of Substituting Concentrates with Dried Leftover Food on Growth and Carcass Characteristics of Hanwoo Steers
This study was conducted to determine the optimum substitution level of dried leftover food (DLF) in formula feed for Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle) steers. A total of forty growing steers were assigned to 5 treatments based on substitution level of DLF (at 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% level of formula feed). The experiment was carried out with growing steers from 6 months of age to 24 months of age. Average daily gain (ADG) was not affected by DLF substitution level up to 75% of formula feed. However ADG decreased at 100% substitution level. Daily feed intakes were similar among treatments but the amount of feed per 1 kg gain increased with increasing substitution level of DLF. Dressing percentage was around 62% in all treatments without any significant differences. Proportion of quality beef higher than grade 1 was the greatest from animals fed 25% substitution level of DLF. Economic efficiency for Hanwoo steer operator was the highest with 50% substitution level of DLF.
- Cho, Y. M., G. W. Lee, J. S. Jang, I. S. Shin, K. M. Myung, K. S. Choi, I. H. Bae and C. J. Yang. 2004a. Effects of feeding dried leftover food on growth and body composition of broiler chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:386-393.
- Gijen, H. J., T. T. H. Schoenmarks, C. G. M. Caeteling and G. D. Vogels. 1988. Anaerobic degradation of paper mill sludge in a two phase digestion containing rumen microorganism and colonized polyurethane form. Biotechnology letter. Vol(2):61-66.
- Hong, S. K., B. H. Baek, H. S. Kang and W. M. Cho. 1996. Effects of restricted feeding and market weights on the carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 38(3):215-230.
- Karalazos, A. and H. Swan. 1976. Molasses and its byproduct, In (Ed. H. Swan and L. lewis). Feed and Energy Sources for Livestock. Butterworths London. pp. 29-46.
- Myer, R. O., T. A. DeBusk, J. H. Brendemuhl and M. E. Rivas. 1994. Initial assessment of dehydrated edible restaurant waste (DERW) as a potential feedstuffs for swine. Florida swine Res. Rep. No. ANSSW. 94. Animal Sci. Dept., Univ. of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. pp. 44-51.
- NLRI. 1999. National Livestock Research Institute. 1999. The Related laws for food waste as a feed and industrialization. Utility technology of food waste as a feed. pp. 117-133.
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient requirement of beef cattle. 9th. National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Summers, J. D., G. K. Macleod and W. C. Warner. 1980. Chemical composition of culinary wastes and their potential as a feed for ruminants. Animal Feed Science and Technology 5(3):205-214.
- Tadtiyant, C., J. J. Lyons and J. M. Vandepopulience. 1988. Utilization of extruded poultry farm motalities and feathers in broiler starter diet. Poult. Sci. 68(Suppl. 1):145(Abstr.).
- Waste Recycling Council. October 30, 1998. Wonju, Korea. pp. 135-156.
- RDA. 1988. Rural Development Administration. Composition of Korean Feedstuffs. p. 56.
- Cho, Y. M., I. S. Shin and C. J. Yang. 2004b. Effects of feeding dried leftover food on productivity of laying hens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:518-522.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th Ed. Association of official analytical chemists. Washington, DC.
- Lee, K. H. 1998. Evaluation of nutritive value of food waste as a feed. Symposium for Food Waste as a Feed. pp. 113-128.
- McClure, K. E., E. W. Klosterman and R. R. Johnson. 1970. Palatability and digestibility of processed garbage fed to ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 31:249(Abstr.).
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometric. 11:1.
- McKnight, D. R., G. S. Hopper, L. A. Drevjany and W. E. Pollock. 1979. Effect of sodium bicarbonate on all concentrate rations fed Holstein steers. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:805-807.
- Lee, J. P., S. C. Park and S. W. Rhee. 1997. The effect of ammonia and sodium chloride on the anaerobic degradation of food waste. J. KSEE. 19(9):1185-1192.
- Rivas, M. E., J. H. Brendemuhl, R. O. Myer and D. D. Johnson. 1994. Digestibility by swine and microbiological assessment of dehydrated restaurant waste. Res. Rep. A1-1994-3. College of Agric., Florida Agric. Exp. Sta., Univ. of Florida, Gainsville.
- Kil, J. Y., H. J. Kim, D. H. Lee, S. B. Cho, S. R. Lee and W. J. Maeng. 1999. Study on degradation pattern of nutrients by food waste in the rumen. Proc. of the 8th Annual Congress of Korean Society of Animal Science. p. 183. June 25, 1999, Chunchon, Korea.
- Yu, D. J. 1998. Reasonableness and promotion plan of food waste as a feed. Proc. of the Annual Congress of Korea Organic
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2014. "" Korean journal for food science of animal resources = 한국축산식품학회지, 34(3): 339~345
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기