Influence of Ripening Stages on the Quality of Whole Crop Silage and Grain Silage of Fodder Rice
In high-income Asian countries like Korea and Japan, per capita rice consumption has declined because of the change in consumer' favorite foods from rice to high-cost quality foods. This has forced farmers to reduce rice production. Although fodder rice could be another option to be cultured by farmers, available information concerning rice grain silage has been limited. In the present study, therefore, the difference in the quality of fodder rice silage prepared from either whole crop or grain at different ripening stages was compared. Various supplements were also added into whole crop and grain silages of fodder rice before ensiling, and thereafter, the palatability of prepared silages was determined by beef cattle. At ear emergence stage, the pH values for both grain and whole crop silages were approximately 4.5. In both grain and whole crop silages, the pH values were significantly increased by progressing ripening stages from milk-ripe stage to yellow-ripe stages, and the increase in pH value for grain silage was faster than that for whole crop silage. In the grain silage, the higher lactic acid (LA) content in grain silage seemed to be, the lower pH value was. Both in grain and whole crop silages, pH was significantly decreased by supplementation with LA bacteria. There were no significant differences in feed intake among any treatment groups.
- Manyawu, G. J., S. Sibanda, I. C. Chakoma, C. Mutisi and P. Ndiweni. 2003. The intake and palatability of four different types of Napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum) silage fed to sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:823-829.
- Nakui, T., S. Masaki, T. Aihara, N. Yahara and S. Takai. 1988. The making of rice whole crop silage and an evaluation of its value as forage for ruminants. Bull. Tohoku Natl. Agric. Exp. Stn. 78:161-173.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1990. GLM; SAS/STAT User’s guide (Release 6), SAS Institute, Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- Tamada, J., H. Yokota, M. Ohshima and M. Tamaki. 1999. Effect of additives, storage temperature and regional difference of ensiling on the fermentation quality of napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schum) silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:28-35.
- Yokota, H., J. H. Kim, T. Okajima and M. Ohshima. 1992. Nutritional quality of wilted napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schum) ensiled with or without molasses. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 5:673-679.
- McDonald, P., A. R. Henderson and S. J. E. Feron. 1991. The biochemistry of silage. 2nd ed. Chalcombe Publications. Bucks, UK. pp. 168-183, 250-305.
- Nakui, T., S. Masaki, T. Aihara, N. Yahara and S. Takai. 1986b. The effect of propionic acid and ammonia water in preventing aerobic deterioration of unhulled rice stored as high moisture grain feed. Tohoku Agric. Res. 39:179-180 (in Japanese).
- Yokota, H., Y. Fujii and M. Ohshima. 1998. Nutritional quality of napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schum) silage supplemented with molasses and rice bran by goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:697-701.
- Chaudhary, R. C. 2000. Strategies for bridging the yield gap in rice: a regional perspective for Asia. In: International Rice Commission Newsletter, Vol 49 (Ed. Dat Van Tran). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome. Italy.
- Fukumi, R., S. Kumai and K. Taji. 1984. Studies on herbage production and nutritive value of soiling paddy rice. II. Effects of the variety and fertilizer application on the herbage yield, silage quality and the feeding value of whole crop silage. J. Japan. Grassl. Sci. 30:157-164.
- Horrocks, R. D. and J. F. Vallentine. 1999. Harvested Forages. Academic Press. CA, USA. pp. 325-337.
- Yoshida, N., M. Tomita, Y. Takemasa and T. Takahashi. 1987. Forage paddy rice for whole crop utilization. I. The storability affected by different conservation methods. J. Jpn. Grassl. Sci. 33:109-115.
- Ohshima, M., K. Miyase, N. Nishino and H. Yokota. 1991. Ruminal acid concentration of goats fed hays and silages prepared from Italian ryegrass and its pressed cake. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 4:59-65.
- Papademetriou, M. K. 2000. Rice production in the Asia-Pacific region: Issues and perspectives. In: Bridging the Rice Yield Gap in the Asia-Pacidic Region. (Ed. M. K. Papademetriou, F. J. Dent and E. M. Herath). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Colombari, G., G. Borreani and G. M. Crovetto. 2001. Effect of ensiling alfalfa at low and high dry matter on production of milk used to make Grana cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 84:2494-2502.
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Chemists. Washington, DC. USA.
- Koehler, L. H. 1952. Differentiation of carbohydrate by anthrone reaction rate and colour intensity. Anal. Chem. 24:1576-1579.
- Nakui, T., T. Haraki, N. Yahara and S. Takai. 1985. The effect of the varieties and mixed cropping of forage rice on the feeding value and nutrient yield of the whole crop silage. Tohoku Agric. Res. 37:189-190 (in Japanese).
- Nakui, T., S. Masaki, T. Aihara, N. Yahara and S. Takai. 1986a. The nutritive value of unhulled rice stored as high moisture grain feed. Tohoku Agric. Res. 39:177-178 (in Japanese).
- Enishi, O. and K. Shijimaya. 1998. The fermentation patterns of rice whole crop silage. Grassl. Sci. 44:179-181 (in Japanese).
- Yokota, H., J. H. Kim and K. Kita. 2001.Aerobic deterioration of Napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schum) ensiled with molasses after opening the silo. Anim. Sci. J. 72:416-420.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2009. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 22(4): 516~519
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기