Developmental Relationship of Unsaturated Fatty Acid Composition and Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase mRNA Level in Hanwoo Steers' Muscle
This study was conducted to investigate the developmental relationship between fatty acid composition in different lipid fractions and stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) gene expression in steer muscles during growth. Twenty Hanwoo steers were used at 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 months of age. Fatty acid composition and SCD mRNA level were analyzed. In the total lipid fraction, developmental profiles of C18:1, as the product of SCD enzyme, and SCD mRNA level were significantly increased between 6 months and 12 months of age. During this period, the percentage of C18:1 increased from 31.9% to 49.5% in the total lipid. The increased C18:1 level was maintained until 30 months of age within the range of 44.8- 49.9%. In contrast, the C18:0 composition decreased with age and this decrease was compensated by the increase of the C18:1. However, the sum of C18:0 and C18:1 was changed before and after 12-month old by a 20% increase. Unlike the C18 fatty acids, the C16 fatty acids such as C16:0 and C16:1 did not show a consistent change with age in steers' muscle. On the other hand, C18:2 proportion as a major polyunsaturated fatty acid in muscle was significantly reduced from 21.1% at 6 months of age to 4.4% at 12-months old and then this reduced level was maintained until 30 months within the range of 7.4-11.4%. As in the C18:1 composition during early stages, a 2-fold significant increase was observed in the $\Delta^9$ -desaturase index of C18 fatty acid as a measure of SCD activity, but not in that of C16 fatty acid. Also, the steady-state level of SCD mRNA reached a peak at 12 months of age. Thus, the positive relationship between the C18:1 composition and the $\Delta^9$ -desaturase (SCD enzyme) index of C18 fatty acid or SCD mRNA level was demonstrated during growth, but the negative relationship between the C18:2 composition and the above three indices was demonstrated at the same time, indicating that the sharp induction of SCD mRNA may be closely related to the dramatic reduction of C18:2, which is known as a suppressor of SCD gene expression during growth.
- Kim, C. M., J. H. Kim, T. Y. Chung and K. K. Park. 2004. Effects of Flaxseed Diets on fattening response of Hanwoo cattle: 2. fatty acid composition of serum and adipose tissues. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(9):1246-1254.
- Mandell, I. B., J. G. Buchanan-Smith and C. P. Campbell. 1998. Effect of forge vs. grain feeding on carcass characteristics, fatty acid composition, and beef quality in Limousin-cross steers when time on feed is controlled. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2619-2630.
- Salter, A. M., E. H. Mangiapane, A. J. Bennett, J. S. Bruce, M. A. Billett, K. L. Anderton, C. B. Marenah, N. Lawson and D. A. White. 1998. The effect of different dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein metabolism: concentration-dependent effects of diets enriched in oleic, myristic, palmitic and stearic acids. Br. J. Nutr. 79:195-202.
- Siebert, B. D., M. P. Deland and W. S. Pitchford. 1996. Breed differences in the fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intramuscular lipid of early and late maturing, grain-finished cattle. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 47:943-952
- Zembayashi, M., K. Nishimura, D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1995. Effect of breed type and sex on the fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intramuscular lipids of finishing steers and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3325-3332.
- Litman, B. J. 1975. Surface distribution of the fatty acid side chains of phosphatidyl ethanolamine in mixed phospholipids vesicles. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 413:157-162.
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Department of Health. 1994. Report on Health and Social Subjects No. 46, Nutritional Aspects of Cardiovascular Disease. HMSO, London.
- Kim, Y. M., J. H. Kim, S. C. Kim, H. M. Ha, Y. D. Ko and C. H. Kim. 2002. Influence of dietary addition of dried wormwood (Artemisia sp.) of the performance and carcass characteristics and fatty acid composition of muscle tissues of Hanwoo Heifers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(4):549-554.
- Lee, S. H., D. H. Yoon, S. H. Hwang, E. Y. Cheong, O. H. Kim and C. S. Lee. 2004. Relationship between monounsaturated fatty acid composition and stearoyl-CoA desaturase mRNA level in Hanwoo liver and loin muscle. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. Kor. 46(1):7-14.
- Ott, L. 1984. An introduction to statistical methods and data analysis, 2nd edn. PWS, Boston, MA.
- Waters, K. M., F. E. Gomez and J. M. Ntambi. 1996. Polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit Hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 gene in diabetic mice. Lipids 31:S33-S36.
- Choi, N. J., M. Enser, J. D. Wood and N. D. Scollan. 2000. Effect of breed on the deposition in beef muscle and adipose tissue of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Anim. Sci. 71:509-519.
- Malau-Aduli, A. E. O., B. D. Siebert, C. D. K. Bottema and W. S. Pitchford. 1997. A comparision of the fatty acid composition of triacylglycerols in adipose tissue from Limousin and Jersey cattle. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 48:715-722.
- Solver, H. T. and E. Lanza. 1979. Quantitative analysis of food fatty acids by capillary gas chromatography. J. Am. Oil. Chem. Soc. 56:933-937.
- Harfoot, C. G. and G. P. Hazlewood. 1988. Lipid metabolism in the rumen. In The Rumen Microbial Ecosystem, London, New York. Elsevier Appl. Sci. pp. 285-322.
Yang, A., T. W. Larsen, S. B. Smith and R. K. Tune. 1999.
$\Delta^9$-Desaturase activity in bovine subcutaneous adipose tissue of different fatty acid composition. Lipids 34:971-978.
- Choi,Y. J., Y. H. Prak, W. P. Michael and J. M. Ntambi. 2001. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity by the trans-10, cis-12 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid in HepG2 cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 284:689-693.
- Lee, K. N., M. W. Pariza and J. M. Ntambi. 1996. Differential expression of hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene 1 in male and female mice. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1304:85-88.
- Ntambi, J. M. and M. Miyazaki. 2004. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase and role in metabolism. Prog. Lipid. Res. 43(2):91-104.
- Hecker, A. L., D. A. Cramer and D. F. Hougham. 1975. Compositional and metabolic growth effects in the bovine muscle, subcutaneous and serum total fatty acids. J. Food Sci. 40:144-149.
- Kim, J. H., C. H. Kim and Y. D. Ko. 2002. Influence of dietary addition of dried wormwood (Artemisia sp.) of the performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers and the nutrient digestibility of sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(3):390-395.
- Kim, C. M., J. H. Kim, T. Y. Chung and K. K. Park. 2004. Effects of Flaxseed Diets on fattening response of Hanwoo cattle: 1. Performance and carcass characteristics. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(9):1241-1245.
- Ntambi, J. M. 1999. Regulation of stearoly-CoA desaturase by polyunsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol. J. Lipid Res. 40:1549-1558.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (4)
- 2009. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 22(9): 1225~1233
- 2010. "" Korean journal for food science of animal resources = 한국축산식품학회지, 30(4): 655~660
- Lee, Seung-Hwan ; Kim, Hyeong-Cheol ; Cho, Won-Mo ; Chang, Sun-Sik ; Kim, Bum-Soo ; Chang, Gul-Won ; Lee, Jun-Hun ; Yeon, Seong-Heum ; Hong, Seong-Koo 2011. "Association of genetic polymorphism in fatty acid synthase with BodyFat and fatty acid composition in Hanwoo" 농업과학연구 = CNU Journal of agricultural science, 38(2): 257~262
- 2013. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 26(9): 1218~1228
저자의 다른 논문
- 1998 "김치 starter용으로 개량된 내산성 변이주 Leuconostoc mesenteroides의 내산성 특성" 산업미생물학회지 = Korean journal of applied microbiology and biotechnology 26 (2): 102~109
- 1998 "Leuconostoc paramesenteroides의 내산성 변이주로의 개량과 starter로의 첨가효과" 산업미생물학회지 = Korean journal of applied microbiology and biotechnology 26 (2): 151~160
- 1998 "김치 Starter용으로 개량된 Leuconostoc paramesenteroides의 내산성 변이주가 갖는 내산성 특성" 산업미생물학회지 = Korean journal of applied microbiology and biotechnology 26 (4): 275~282
- 2004 "한우 간 및 등심 조직에서 불포화지방산의 조성비율과 Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase mRNA의 발현 양상" 한국동물자원과학회지 = Journal of animal science and technology 46 (1): 7~14
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기