Associations between Feed Efficiency, Body Growth and Serum Insulin-like Growth Factor-I Level for Korean Native Ogol Chickens
Increasing of body weight has been one of the important economic factors in the poultry industry. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I is a polypeptide that serves to regulate muscle development and body growth. Moreover, IGF-I is related to feed efficiency. However, there are few studies regarding the regulatory roles of chicken IGF-I/-II compared with that of mammals. Especially, the Korean Native Ogol Chicken (KNOC) has a lean body growth and its body weight is generally lighter than the broiler chicken. Therefore, this study was conducted to investigate associations among serum IGF-I/-II concentration, feed efficiency, and body growth in KNOC. The body weight and feed intake of KNOC were recorded from 20 to 36 weeks at 2 weeks intervals, and blood was taken every 2 weeks. Serum IGF-I/-II were measured by RIA. Chickens were divided into two groups, high and low serum IGF-I concentration. Generally, feed efficiency and growth performance (body weight and weight gain) in the high serum IGF-I group were higher than those of the low group during the experimental period. In particular, the body weight of the IGF-I high group were significantly different from those of the IGF-I low group at 34 and 36 weeks, respectively (p
- Colon, M. A. and K. Kita. 2002. Muscle protein synthesis rate is altered in response to a single injection of insulin-like growth factor-I in seven day-old Leghorn chicks. Poult. Sci. 81:1543-1547.
- Etherton, T. D. and R. Kensinger. 1984. Endocrine regulation of fetal and postnatal meat animal growth. J. Anim. Sci. 59:511-528.
- Humbe1, R. E. 1990. Insulin-like growth factors I and II. Eur. J. Biochem. 190:445-462.
- Kang, W. J., D. S. Seo and Y. Ko. 2003. Association among egg productivity, granulose layer IGF-I and ovarian IGF-I in Korean Native Ogol Chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:325-330
- Kita, K., S. Kato, M. Amanyaman, J. Okumura and H. Yokota. 2002. Dietary L-carnitine increases plasma insulin-like growth factor-I concentration in chicks fed a diet with adequate dietary protein level. Br. Poult. Sci. 43:117-121.
- Kocamis, H., D. C. McFarland and J. Killefer. 2001. Temporal expression of growth factor genes during myogenesis of satellite cells derived from the biceps femoris and pectoralis major muscles of the chicken. J. Cell. Physiol. 186:146-152.
- Lee, C. Y. and D. M. Henricks. 1990. Comparisons of various acidic treatments of bovine serum on insulin-like growth factor-I immunoreactivity and binding activity. J. Endocrinol. 127:139-148.
- McGuinness, M. C. and L. A. Cogburn. 1990. Measurement of developmental changes in plasma insulin-like growth factor-I levels of broiler chicken by radioreceptor assay and radioimmunoassay. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 76:446-458.
- Oudin, A., B. Chevalier, J. Simon and M. J. Duclos. 1998. Muscle insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) receptors in chickens with high or low body weight: effects of age and muscle fibre type. Growth Horm. IGF. Res. 8:243-250.
- Radecki, S. V., M. C. Capdevielle, F. C. Buonomo and C. G. Scanes. 1997. Ontogeny of Insulin-like Growth Factors (IGF-I and IGF-II) and IGF-Binding Proteins in the Chicken Following Hatching. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 107:109-117.
- Vasilatos-Younken, R., X. H. Wang, Y. Zhou, J. R. Day, J. P. McMurty, R. W. Rosebrough, E. Decuypere, N. Buys, V. Darras, J. L. Beard and F. Tomas. 1999. New insights into the mechanism and actions of growth hormone (GH) in poultry. Domest. Anim. Edocrinol. 17:181-190.
- Yun, J. S., D. S. Seo, M. S. Rhee, S. Oh, B. C. Kim and Y. Ko. 2003a. Relationship of concentrations of endocrine factors at antemortem and postmortem periods to carcass weight and backfat thickness in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:335-341.
- Huybrechts, L. M., E. Decuypere, J. Buyse, E. R. Kuhn and M. Tixier-Biochard. 1992. Effect of recombinant human insulinlike growth factor-I on weight gain, fat content, and hormonal parameters in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 71:181-187.
- Lee, C. Y., H. P. Lee, J. H. Jeong, K. H. Baik, S. K. Jin, J. H. Lee and S. H. Sohnt. 2002. Effects of restricted feeding, lowenergy diet, and implantation of trenbolone acetate plus estradiol on growth, carcass traits, and circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGFbinding protein-3 in finishing barrows. J. Anim. Sci. 80:84-93.
- Buyse, J. and E. Decuypere. 1999. The role of the somatotrophic axis in the metabolism of the chicken. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 17:245-55.
- Jones, J. I. and D. R. Clemmons. 1995. Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins: biological actions. Endocr. Rev. 16:2-34.
- Rosselot, G., J. P. McMurtry, R. Vasilatos-Younken and S. Czerwinski. 1995. Effect of exogenous chicken growth hormone (cGH) administration on insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) gene expression in domestic fowl. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 114:157-66.
- Auchtung, T. L., E. E. Connor, S. M. Barao, L. W. Douglass and G. E. Dahl. 2001. Use of growth hormone response to growth hormone-releasing hormone to determine growth potential in beef heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1566-1572.
- Spencer, G. S. G., E. Decuypere, J. Buyse and M. Zeman. 1996. Effect of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-II on weight gain and body composition of broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 75:388-392.
- Yun, J. S., W. J. Kang, D. S. Seo, C. Y. Lee, S. Oh and Y. Ko. 2003b. Relationships of circulating of insuline-like growth factor (IGF)-I and -II to egg production and growth rate in the Korean Native Ogol Chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:481-488.
- Pym, R. A., R. J. Johnson, D. B. Etse and P. Eason. 1991. Inheritance of plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and growth rate, food intake, food efficiency and abdominal fatness in chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 32:285-293.
- McMurtry, J. P., G. L. Francis and Z. Upton. 1997. Insulin-like growth factors in poultry. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 14:199-229.
- Mitchell, R. D. and W. H. Burke. 1995. Posthatching growth and pectoralis muscle development in broiler strain chickens, bantam chickens and the reciprocal crosses between them. Growth Dev. Aging. 59:149-161
- Ballard, F. J., R. J. Johnson, P. C. Owens, G. L. Francis, F. M. Upton, J. P. McMurtry and J. C. Wallace. 1990. Chicken insulin-like growth factor-I: amino acid sequence, radioimmunoassay, and plasma levels between strains and during growth. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 79:459-468.
- Tomas, F. M., R. A. Pym, J. P. McMurtry and G. L. Francis. 1998. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I but not IGF-II promotes lean growth and feed efficiency in broiler chickens. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 110:262-275.
- Decuypere, E., F. R. Leenstra, J. Buyse, L. M. Huybrechts, F. C. Buonomo and L. R. Berghman. Plasma levels of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I and -II from 2 to 6 weeks of age in meat-type chickens selected for 6-week body weight or for feed conversion and reared under high or normal environmental temperature conditions. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 33:361-372.
- Guernec, A., C. Berri, B. Chevalier, N. Wacrenier-Cere, E. Le Bihan-Duval and M. J. Duclos. 2003. Muscle development, insulin-like growth factor-I and myostatin mRNA levels in chickens selected for increased breast muscle yield. Growth Horm. IGF. Res. 13:8-18.
- Rotwein, P. 1991. Structure, evolution, expression and regulation of insulin-like growth factors I and II. Growth Factors 5:3-18.
- Tanaka, M., Y. Hayashida, K. Sakaguchi, T. Ohkubo, M. Wakita, S. Hoshino and K. Nakashima. 1996. Growth hormoneindependent expression of insulin-like growth factor I messenger ribonucleic acid in extrahepatic tissues of the chicken. Endocrinology 137:30-34.
- Czerwinski, S. M., J. M. Cate, G. Francis, F. Tomas, D. M. Brocht and J. P. McMurtry. 1998. The effect of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on protein turnover in the meat-type chicken (Gallus domesticus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. C. Pharmacol. Toxicol. Endocrinol. 119:75-80.
- Beccavin, C., B. Chevalier, L. A. Cogburn, J. Simmon and M. J. Duclos. 2001. Insulin-like growth factors and body growth in chickens divergently selected for high and low growth rate. J. Enodocrinol. 168:297-306.
- Kcoamis, H., D. C. Kirkpatrick-Keller, H. Klandorf and J. Killefer. 1998. In ovo administration of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-I alters postnatal growth and development of the broiler chicken. Poult. Sci. 77:1913-1919.
- Simmen, F. A., L. Badinga, M. L. Green, I. Kwak, S. Song and R. C. Simmen. 1998. The porcine insulin-like growth factor system: at the interface of nutrition, growth and reproduction. J. Nutr. 128:315-320.
- Seo, D. S., J. S. Yun, W. J. Kang, G. J. Jeon, K. C. Hong and Y. Ko. 2001. Association of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) gene polymorphism with serum IGF-I concentration and body weight in Korean Native Ogol Chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:915-921.
- McGuinness, M. C. and L. A. Cogburn. 1991. Response of young broiler chicken to chronic injection of recombinant-derived human insulin-like growth factor-I. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 8:611-620.
- Rosebrough, R. W., J. P. McMutry and R. Vasilatos-Younken. 1991. Effect of pulsatile or continuous administration of pituitary-derived chicken growth hormone (p-cGH) on lipid metabolism in broiler pullets. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 99:207-214.
- Tesseraud, S., R. A. Pym, E. Le Bihan-Duval and M. J. Duclos. 2003. Response of broilers selected on carcass quality to dietary protein supply: live performance, muscle development, and circulating insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I and -II). Poult. Sci. 82:1011-1016.
- Yoon, J., M. S. Rhee, D. S. Seo, B. C. Kim and Y. Ko. 2001. Monitoring of blood cytokines by PIT-1 genotypes in day 150 male pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1659-1664.
- Bass, J., M. Oldham, R. Sharma and R. Kambaddur. 1999. Growth factors controlling muscle development. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 17:191-197.
- Gultom, D., A. Songsang and U. Ter Meulen. 2001. The effect of chlorocholine chloride (CCC) inclusion in the diets of growing hens on growth rate, oestrogen levels and the onset of lay. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. (Berl). 85:1-8.
- Liu, J. L. and D. LeRoith. 1999. Insulin-like growth factor I is essential for postnatal growth in response to growth hormone. Endocrinology 140:5178-5184.
- Bacon, W. L., K. E. Nestor, D. A. Emmerson, R. Vasilator-Younken and D. W. Long. 1993. Circulating IGF-I in plasma of growing male and female turkeys of medium and heavy weight lines. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 10:267-277.
- Duclos, M. J., C. Beccavin and J. Simon. 1999. Genetic models for the study of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and muscle development in birds compared to mammals. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 17:231-243.
- Gonzales, E., J. Buyse, J. R. Sartori, M. M. Loddi and E. Decuypere. 1999. Metabolic disturbance in mail broilers of different strains. 2. Relationship between the thyroid and somatotropic axes with growth rate and mortality. Poult. Sci. 78:516-521.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2007. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 20(1): 119~123
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기