Characteristics of Bovine Lymphoma Caused by Bovine Leukemia Virus Infection in Holstein-Friesian Dairy Cattle in Korea
The frequency and distribution of lymphoma caused by bovine leukemia virus (BLV) infection in various organs were investigated. Lymphoma samples were obtained from slaughtered cattle or from cattle submitted to the National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service, Korea. Thirty female Holstein-Friesian dairy cattle aged over three years with the BLV-associated lymphoma were studied. None of the Korean native cattle (Hanwoo) had lymphoma in this study however. Lymphoma tissues were gray to pink in color, soft in consistency, and bulged from the cut surface. In advanced lymphoma tissues, there was great variety in the appearance of involved structures due to hemorrhage, necrosis, and/or calcification. Neoplastic tissues were observed in lymph nodes in all lymphoma cases. Intestine (96.4%), heart (88.9%), stomach (73.1%), and diaphragm (62.5%) were frequently involved with lymphoma. However, there was no lymphoma detected in liver. Large neoplastic masses, sometimes reaching the size of over 20 cm, were found in the abdominal cavities. It is suggested that metastasis of lymphomas occurs mainly via lymph based on gross observations; neoplasia may have been initiated in the serosal surface of the lung, heart, peritoneum, and numerous hollow organs in the abdominal cavity. Also many organs in the abdominal and thoracic cavity were affected by neoplastic tissues simultaneously. Characteristics observed in this study could be used as criteria to differentiate BLV-associated lymphoma from other nodular lesions in the slaughterhouse and as fundamental data to make clear the mechanism of metastasis or pathogenesis of EBL.
- Brandly, P. and G. Migaki. 1963. Types of tumors found by federal meat inspectors in eight year survey. Ann. NY. Acad. Sci. 108:872-879.
- Jarplid, B. 1964. Studies on the site of leukotic and preleukotic changes in the bovine heart. Pathol. Vet. 1:366-408.
- Johnson, R. and J. B. Kaneene. 1992. Bovine leukemia virus and enzootic bovine leukosis. Vet. Bulletin 62(4):287-312.
- Kobayashi, Y., M. Sato, H. Taguchi, S. Koike, H. Nakatsuji and K. Tanaka. 2004. Molecular detection of verotoxigenic Escherichia coli (VTEC) from animal feces for screeing VTEC-shedders. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(3):423-427.
- Radostitis, O. M., D. C. Blood and C. C. Gay. 1994. Veterinary medicine (8th edition). pp. 954-965. Bailliere Tindall.
- Ramesha, K. P., T. Saravanann, M. K. Rao, M. M. Appannavar and A. Obi Reddy. 2002. Genetic distance among south Indian breeds of zebu cattle using random amplified DNA markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(3):309-314.
- Son, J. Y. and K. J. Kim. 1968. Hematological survey for lymphosarcoma in dairy herds in Korea. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 8(1):31-38.
- Valli, V. E., B. J. McSherry, B. M. Dunham, R. M. Jacobs and J. H. Lumden. 1981. Histopathology of lymphoid tumors in the dog, cat and cow. Vet. Pathol. 18:494-512.
- Schwartz, I. and D. Levy. 1994. Pathobiology of bovine leukemia virus. Vet. Res. 25:521-536.
- Shim, H. S., J. H. Kook, Y. O. Hwang, M. R. Lee, B. S. Jung, H. Y. Kim, S. K. Kang, S. J. Yoo, K. A. Lim, T. O. Ko and Y. S. Park. 1998. Seroepizootiological survey on bovine leukosis of dairy cattle in Kyunggi province. Kor. J. Vet. Serv. 21(3):255-260.
- Jubb, K. V. F., P. C. Kennedy and N. Palmer. 1993. Pathology of domestic animals. 4th edition. pp. 142-146. Academic press.
- Wu, D., K. Takahashi, K. Takahashi, N. Liu, A. Koguchi, M. Makara, J. Sasaki, M. Goryo and K. Okada. 1999. Distribution of T-lymphocyte subpopulation in blood and spleen of normal cattle and cattle with enzootic bovine leukosis. J. Comp. Path. 120:117-127.
- Burny, A. and M. Mammerickx. 1987. Enzootic bovine leukosis and bovine leukemia virus. Kluwer. Martinus Nijhoff Publishing. Boston.
- Ferrer, J. F. 1980. Bovine lymphosarcoma. Adv. Vet. Sci. Comp. Med. 24:1-67.
- Ballagi-Pordany, A. and S. Belak. 1996. The use of mimics as internal standards to avoid false negatives in diagnostic PCR. Molecular and Cellular Probes 10:159-164.
- Jun, M. H., U. I. Chung, C. K. Lee, S. Y. Baig and C. H. Lim. 1982. Seroepizootiological study on bovine leukosis in Korea. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 22(2):175-185.
- Olson, C. 1974. Bovine lymphosarcoma (leukemia). J. A. V. M. A. 165:630-632.
- Renstrom, L. M. H., C. Venebles and D. Beier. 2004. Manual of diagnostic tests and vaccines for terrestrial animals. 4th ed. Enzootic bovine leucosis. pp. 371-380. Office International Des Epizooties.
- Yeo, J. S., J. W. Kim, T. K. Chang, D. H. Nam, J. Y. Han and C. B. Choi. 2002. Detection of DNA fragment to differentiate Korean cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(8):1071-1075.
- Bendixen, H. J. 1965. Bovine Enzootic Leukosis. Advance in Vet. Sci. Comp. Med. 10:129-204.
- Lee, H. B., W. P. Choi and K. W. Lee. 1982. A field case of bovine leukosis in young cattle. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 22(1):63-66.
- Lim, C. H. 1969. Pathologic studies of tumors occurring in cattle. Seoul Univ. J. (C) 20:80-88.
- Smith, H. A. 1965. The pathology of malignant lymphoma in cattle. A study of 1113 cases. Pathol. Vet. 2:68-94.
- Burny, A., Y. Cleuter, R. Kettmann, M. Mammerickx, G. Marbaix, D. Portetelle, A. Van Den Broeke, L. Willems and R. Thomas. 1988. Bovine leukemia: Facts and hypothesis derived from study of an infectious cancer. Advance in Vet. Sci. Comp. Med. 32:149-170.
- Grimshaw, W. T. R., A. Wiseman, L. Petrie and L. E. Selman. 1979. Bovine leucosis (lymphosarcoma): A clinical study of 60 pathologically conformed cases. Vet. Rec. 105:267-272.
- Choy, Y. H., S. J. Oh and J. O. Kang. 2001. Application of RAPD methods in meat for beef breed identification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(12):1655-1658.
- Ohshima, K., Y. Ozai, K. Okada and S. Numakunai. 1980. Pathological studies on aleukemic case of bovine leukosis. Jpn. J. Vet. Sci. 42:297-309.
- Ferrer, J. F., R. R. Marshak, D. A. Abt and S. J. Kenyon. 1979. Relationship between lymphosarcoma and persistent lymphocytosis in cattle: A review. J. A. V. M. A. 175(7):705-708.
- Ohshima, K., S. Sato and K. Okada. 1982. A Pathologic study on initial lesions of enzootic bovine leukosis. Jpn. J. Vet. Sci. 44:249-257.
- Song, Y. H., S. J. Kim and S. K. Lee. 2002. Evaluation of ultrasound for prediction of carcass meat yield and meat quality in Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(4):591-595.
- Olson, C., J. M. Miller, L. D. Miller and K. G. Gillette. 1970. Ctype virus and lymphocytic nuclear projections in bovine lymphosarcoma. J. A. V. M. A. 156(12):1880-1883.
- Choi, H. Y., U. S. Joung, K. C. Yoo and H. S. Oh. 1992. Survey on antibodies against bovine leukemia virus in Chung Buk province. Kor. J. Vet. Serv. 15(1):51-57.
- Lewin, H. A. and D. Bernoco. 1986. Evidence for BoLA-linked resistance and susceptibility to subclinical progression of bovine leukemia virus infection. Anim. Gent. 17:197-207.
- Ohshima, K., Y. Aida, J. C. Kim, K. Okada, T. Chiba, K. Murakami and Y. Ikawa. 1991. Histopathology and distribution of cells harboring bovine leukemia virus (BLV) proviral sequence in ovine lymphosarcoma induced by BLV inoculation. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 53(2):191-199.
- Suh, G. H. 2004. Establishment of a bovine leukemia virus-free dairy cattle. Ph. D. Thesis, Cheonnam national university, Kwangju, South Korea.
- Kim, C. J., J. Y. Son and K. W. Ko. 1990. Studies on enzootic bovine leukosis II. Survey for antibodies to bovine leukemia virus in the Holstein cattle in a dairy farm. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 30(3):343-348.
- Marshak, R. R., L. L. Coriell, W. C. Lawrence, J. E. Croshaw, H. F. Schryver, K. P. Altera and W. M. Nichols. 1962. Studies on bovine lymphosarcoma. I. Clinical aspects, pathological alteration, and herd studies. Cancer Res. 22:202-217.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기