Effect of Maternal Passive Autoimmunization against Myostatin on Growth Performance in Chickens
Myostatin is a negative regulator of skeletal muscle growth and a loss of functional myostatin protein increases muscle hypertrophy and hyperplasia in cattle. The present study was conducted to investigate whether maternal passive immunization against myostatin would improve growth performance in chickens. A complete broiler myostatin cDNA was cloned and it was expressed into two transcripts as 1,128 bp and 985 bp by alternative splicing. A conjugated mature myostatin (350 bp) was used to induce autoimmunization and maternal passively immunized chickens was used for the experiment. It was confirmed that there was a maternal passive immunization against myostatin at zero weeks of age, but its effect was reduced by 6 weeks of age. The auto-immunized groups showed smaller body weights than those of control group during the growing period and the difference was getting bigger with time until 6 weeks of age. These results suggest that passive autoimmunization against myostatin used in this study is not potent enough to stimulate growth performance in chickens.
- Chapple, R. P., J. A. Cuaron and R. A. Easter. 1989. Effect of glucocorticoids and limiting nursing on the carbohydrate digestive capacity and growth rate of piglets. J. Anim. Sci. 67(11):2956-2973.
- Chomczynski, P. and N. Sacchi. 1987. Single？step method RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156-159.
- Chen, D. 2001. Biotechnologies for improving animal metabolism and growth- a review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(12):1794-1802.
- Hendricks, H. B., E. D. Aberle, D. J. Jones and T. G. Martin. 1973. Muscle fiber type, rigor development and bone strength in dobule muscled cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 37(6):1305-1311.
- Kambadur, R., M. Sharma, T. P. Smith and J. J. Bass. 1997. Mutations in myostatin (GDF8) in double-muscled Belgian Blue and Piedmontese cattle. Genome Res. 7(9):910-916.
- McPherron, A. C. and S. J. Lee. 1997. Double muscling in cattle due to mutations in the myostatin gene. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 94(23):12457-12461.
- McPherron A. C., A. M. Lawler and S. J. Lee. 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-beta superfamily member. Nature 387(6628):83-90.
- SAS. 1988. SAS/STAT User's Guide. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Van Denderen, J., A. Hermans, T. Meeuwsen, C. Troestra, N. D. Zegers, W. Boersma, G. Grosveld and W. Van Ewijk. 1989. Antibody recognition of the tumor-specific berabl joining region in chronic myeloid leukemia. J. Exp. Med. 169:87-98.
- Guo, C. Y., W. Ward, Cairns and S. Atkinson. 2000. Comparative response in growth and bone status to three dexamethasone treatment regimens in infant piglets. Pediatr Res. 48(2):238-243.
- Rehfeldt, C., I. Fieldler, R. Weikard, E. Kanitz and K. Ender. 1993. It is possible to increase skeletal muscle fibre number in utero. Biosci Rep. 13(4):213-220.
- Elliot, M. F., R. I. Michael and N. Katsonori. 1995. Neuropeptide Y inhibits in vivo specific antibody production in rats. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 9:182-189.
- Koohmaraie, M., S. D. Shackelford, T. L. Wheeler, S. M. Lonergan and M. E. Doumit. 1995. A muscle hypertrophy condition in lamb (callipyge): characterization of effects on muscle growth and meat quality traits. J. Anim. Sci. 73(12):3596-3607.
- Dwyer, C. M., J. M. Fletcher and N. C. Stickland. 1993. Muscle cellularity and postnatal growth in the pig. J. Anim. Sci. 71(12):3339-3343.
- Westhusin, M. 1997. From mighty mice to mighty cows. Nat Genet. 17(1):4-5.
- Sillence, M. N., M. R. Jones, P. Lowry and J. R. Basset. 1992. Passive immunization with antiserum to adrenocorticotropin increases weight gain in normal female rats. J. Anim. Sci. 70(5):1382-1388.
- Oldham, J. M., J. A. Martyn, M. Sharma, F. Jeanplong, R. Kambadur and J. J. Bass. 2001. Molecular expression of myostatin and MyoD is greater in double-muscled than normal-muscled cattle fetuses. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 280(5):R1488-1493.
- Williams, T. D. 1994. Intraspecific variation in egg size and egg composition in birds: effects on offspring fitness. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc. 69(1):35-59.
- Thomas, M., B. Langley, C. Berry, M. Sharma, S. Kirk, J. Bass and R. Kambadur. 2000. Myostatin, a negative regulator of muscle growth, functions by inhibiting myoblast proliferation. J. Biol. Chem. 275(51):40235-40243.
- Wegner, J., E. Albrecht, I. Fiedler, F. Teuscher, H. J. Papstein and K. Ender. 2002. Growth-and breed-related changes of muscle fiber characteristics in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78(6):1485-1496.
- Grobet, L., L. J. Martin, D. Poncelet, D. Pirottin, B. Brouwers, J. Riquet, A. Schoeberlein, S. Dunner, F. Menisier, J. Massabanda, R. Fries, R. Hanset and M. Georges. 1997. A deletion in the bovine myostatin gene causes the doublemuscled phenotype in cattle. Nat Genet. 17(1):71-74.
- Huang, H., C. Gazzola, G. Pegg and M. N. Sillence. 2000. Differential effects of dexamethasone and clenbuterol on rat growth and on beta2-adrenoceptors in lung and skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 78(3):604-608.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2007. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 20(6): 827~831
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기