Antioxidative Activities of Kefir
This study aims to evaluate the antioxidative activities of cow-milk kefir and goat-milk kefir. Antioxidative mechanisms, including radical-scavenging effects, ferrous-ion chelating ability, reducing power and antioxidant activity, were investigated herein. Kefirs demonstrated significantly greater scavenging effects upon 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) and superoxide radicals, an inhibition effect upon linoleic-acid peroxidation, and more substantial reducing power, but reduced glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activity than was the case for milks. There was no significant difference between milks and kefirs as regards ferrous-ion chelating ability and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity. These findings have demonstrated that kefirs possess antioxidant activity, thereby suggesting that kefirs are potential candidates for the role of useful natural antioxidant supplements for the human diet.
- Ahotupa, M., M. Saxelin and R. Korpela. 1996. Antioxidative properties of Lactobacillus GG. Nutr. Today 31:51S-52S.
Allen, J. C. and W. L. Wrieden. 1982. Influence of milk proteins on lipid oxidation in aqueous emulsion. I. Casein, whey protein and
$\alpha$-lactalbumin. J. Dairy Res. 49:239-248.
- Burk, R. F. 1997. Selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidases. In Comprehensive Toxicology (Ed. F. P. Guengerich). Pergamon, London, pp. 229-242.
- Gilliland, S. E. 1990. Health and nutritional benefits from lactic acid bacteria. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 87:175-188.
- Liu, J. R., S. Y. Wang, Y. Y. Lin and C. W. Lin. 2002. Antitumor activity of milk-kefir and soymilk-kefir in tumor-bearing mice. Nutri. Cancer 44:182-187.
- Nishino, T., H. Shibahara-Sone, H. Kikuchi-Hayakawa and F. Ishikawa. 2000. Transit of radical scavenging activity of milk products prepared by Maillard reaction and Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota fermentation through the hamster instestine. J. Dairy Sci. 83:915-922.
- Pryor, W. A. 1991. The antioxidant nutrients and disease prevention-What do we know and what do we need to find out? Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 53:S391-S393.
- Wong, P. Y. Y. and D. D. Kitts. 2003. Chemistry of buttermilk solid antioxidant activity. J. Dairy Sci. 86:1541-1547.
- Ye, X. Y. and T. B. Ng. 2000. Purification and characterization of glycolactin, a novel glycoprotein from bovine milk. Life Sci. 66:1177-1186.
- Decker, E. A. and B. Welch. 1990. Role of ferritin as a lipid oxidation catalyst in muscle food. J. Agric. Food Chem. 38:674-677.
- Asada, K. 1976. Occurrence of superoxide dismutase in bovine milk. Agr. Biol. Chem. 40:1659-1660.
- Halliwell, B. and J. M. C. Gutteridge. 1984. Oxygen toxicity, oxygen radicals, transition metals and disease. Biochem. J. 219:1-4.
- Marshall, V. M. and W. M. Cole. 1985. Methods for making kefir and fermented milks based on kefir. J. Dairy Res. 52:451-452.
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucose-amine. Jpn. J. Nutri. 44:307-315.
- Hojo, Y. 1982. Selenium concentration and glutathione peroxidase activity in cow’s milk. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 4:233-239.
- LeBlanc, L. G., C. Matar, J. C. Valdez, J. Leblanc and G. Perdigon. 2002. Immunomodulating effects of peptidic fractions issued from milk fermented with Lactobacillus helveticus. J. Dairy Sci. 85:2733-2742.
- Shimada, K., K. Fujikawa, K. Yahara and T. Nakamura. 1992. Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the autoxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion. J. Agric. Food Chem. 40:945-948.
- Granelli, K., L. Bjorck and L. A. Appelqvist. 1995. The variation of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and xanthine oxidase (XO) activities in milk using an improved method to quantitate SOD activity. J. Sci. Food Agric. 67:85-91.
- Halliwell, B. and J. M. C. Gutteridgu. 1990. Role of free radicals and catalytic metal ions in human disease: an overview. Methods Enzymol. 186:1-85.
- Gutteridge, J. M. C., S. K. Paterson, A. W. Segal and B. Halliwell. 1981. Inhibition of lipid peroxidition by the iron-binding protein lactoferrin. Biochem. J. 199:259-261.
- Ham, J. S., J. S. Kim, K. H. Hoog, J. G. Kim, S. G. Jeong, H. S. Dhae, J. N. Ahn, D. K. Kang and H. U. Kim. 2003. Inhibitory activity of lactic acid bacteria against hazardous microbes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1550-1554.
- Lahov, E. and W. Regelson. 1996. Antibacterial and immunostimulating casein-derived substances from milk: casecidin, isracidin peptides. Food Chem. Toxicol. 34:131-145.
- Lin, M. Y. and C. L. Yen. 1999. Antioxidative ability of lactic acid bacteria. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:1460-1466.
- Meucci, E., A. Mordente and G. E. Martorana. 1991. Metalcatalyzed oxidation of human serum albumin: conformational and functional changes. J. Biol. Chem. 266:4692-4699.
- Lin, C. W., C. L. Chen and J. R. Liu. 1999. Identification and characterisation of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts isolated from kefir grains in Taiwan. Aust. J. Dairy Technol. 54:14-18.
- Yamaguchi, T., H. Takamura, T. Matoba and J. Terao. 1998. HPLC method for evaluation of the free radical-scavenging activity of foods by using 1,1,-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl. Biosci. Biotechno.l Biochem. 62:1201-1204.
- Hoolbrook, J. J. and C. L. Hicks. 1918. Variation of superoxide dismutase in bovine milk. J. Dairy Sci. 61:1072-1077.
- La Riviere, J. W. M., P. Kooiman and K. Schmidt. 1967. Kefiran, a noval polysaccharide produced in the kefir grain by Lactobacillus brevis. Arch. Microbiol. 59:269-278.
- Lindmark-Mansson, H. and B. Akesson. 2000. Antioxidative factors in milk. Br. J. Nutr. 84:S103-S110.
- Sanders, J. W., K. J. Leehouts, A. J. Haandrikmam, G. Venema and J. Kok. 1995. Stress response in Lactococcus lactis: cloning, expression analysis, and mutation of the lactococcal superoxide dismutase gene. J. Bacteriol. 177:5254-5260.
- Robak, J. and I. R. Gryglewski. 1988. Flavonoids are scavengers of superoxide anions. Biochem. Pharma. 37:837-841.
- Sanders, M. E. 1993. Summary of conclusions from a consensus panel of experts on health attributes of lactic cultures: significance to fluid milk products containing cultures. J. Dairy Sci. 76:1819-1828.
- Yen, G. C., P. D. Duh and C. Y. Chuang. 2000. Antioxidant activity of anthraquinones and anthrone. Food Chem. 70:437-441.
- Pena-Ramos, E. A. and Y. L. Xiong. 2001. Antioxidative activity of whey protein hydrolysates in a liposomal system. J. Dairy Sci. 84:2577-2583.
- Suetsuna, K., H. Ukeda and H. Ochi. 2000. Isolation and characterization of free radical scavenging activities peptides derived from casein. J. Nutr. Biochem. 11:128-131.
- Fiat, A. M., D. Migliore-Samour, P. Jolles, L. Drouet, C. B. Sollier and J. Caen. 1993. Biologically active peptides from milk with emphasis on two examples concerning antithrombotic and immunomodulating activities. J. Dairy Sci. 76:301-310.
- Pacifici, R. E. and K. J. Davies. 1991. Protein, lipid and DNA repair systems in oxidative stress: the free radical theory of aging revisited. Gerontology 37:166-180.
- Simic, M. G. 1988. Mechanisms of inhibition of free-radical processed in mutagenesis and carcinogensis. Mutat. Res. 202:377-386.
- Tong, L. M., S. Sasaki, D. Julian McClements and E. A. Decker. 2000. Mechanisms of the antioxidant activity of a high molecular weight fraction of whey. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:1473-1478.
- Statistical Analysis System Institute. 1998. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Frenkel, K. 1992. Carcinogen-mediated oxidant formation and DNA damage. Pharmacol. Ther. 53:127-166.
- Lin, M. Y. and F. J. Chang. 2000. Antioxidative effect of intestinal bacteria Bifidobacterium longum ATCC 15708 and Lactobacillus acidophilus ACTT 4356. Digest. Dis. Sci. 45:1617-1622.
- Montgomery, D. C. 1999. Experiments with a single factor: the analysis of variance. In Design and Analysis of Experiments (Ed. D. C. Montgomery). John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 75-77.
- Angulo, L., E. Lopez and C. Lema. 1993. Microflora present in kefir grains of the Galician region (north-west of Spain). J. Dairy Res. 60:263-267.
- Halliwell, B. 1994. Free radicals and antioxidants: a personal view. Nutri. Rev. 52:253-265.
- Marshall, V. M., W. M. Cole and B. E. Brooker. 1984. Observations on the structure of kefir grains and the distribution of the microflora. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 57:491-497.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2009. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 22(11): 1587~1593
- Lim, Sung-Mee 2013. "Microbiological, Physicochemical, and Antioxidant Properties of Plain Yogurt and Soy Yogurt" Korean journal of microbiology = 미생물학회지, 49(4): 403~414
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기