Chemical Composition, Degradation Characteristics and Effect of Tannin on Digestibility of Some Browse Species from Kenya Harvested during the Wet Season
A study was conducted with the objective of evaluating the nutritive value of some browse species from Kenya. The species evaluated included: Bauhinia alba, Bauhinia variegata, Bridelia micrantha, Calliandra calothyrsus, Carisa edulis, Cratylia argentea, Gliricidia sepium, Lantana camara, Maerua angolensis, Sesbania micrantha and S. sesban. The browses were evaluated by their chemical composition including phenolics, in vitro gas production and tannin activity (tannin bioassay). All the species had high crude protein content (149-268 g/kg DM) and low NDF content (239-549 g/kg DM). The feeds had varying contents of total extractable tannins (TET) ranging from low (3-22 mg/g DM), moderate (42-58 mg/g DM) and high (77-152 mg/g DM). Calliandra calothyrsus had the highest tannin content. Significant (p
- Getachew, G., M. Blummel, H. P. S. Makkar and K. Becker. 1998. In vitro gas measuring techniques for assessment of nutritional quality of feeds: a review. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 72:261-281.
- Kibon, A. and E. R. Orskov. 1993. The use of degradation characteristics of browse plants to predict intake and digestibility by goats. Anim. Prod. 57:247-251.
- Makkar, H. P. S., M. Blummel and K. Becker. 1995. Formation of complexes between polyvinyl pyrrolidones or polyethylene glycols and tannins and their implication in gas production and true digestibility in in vitro techniques. Br. J. Nutr. 73:897-913.
- Mangan, J. 1988. Nutritional effects of tannins in animal feeds. Nutr. Res. Rev. 1:209-231.
- McSweeney, C. S., B. Palmer, R. Bunch and D. O. Krause. 1999. In vitro quality assessment of tannin-containing tropical shrub legumes: protein and fibre digestion. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 82:227-241.
- Nsahlai, I. V., D. E. K. Siaw and P. O. Osuji. 1994. The relationship between gas production and chemical composition of 23 browses of the genus Sesbania. J. Agric. Food Sci. 65:13-20.
- Tolera, A., K. Khazaal and E. R. Orskov. 1997. Nutritive evaluation of some browse species. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 67:181-195.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch carbohydrates in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- El hassan, S. M., A. Lahlou Kassi, C. J. Newbold and R. J. Wallace. 2000. Chemical composition and degradation characteristics of foliage of some African multipurpose trees. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 86:27-37.
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Develop. 28:7-55.
- Rubanza, C. D. K., M. N. Shem, R. Otsyina, N. Nishino, T. Ichinohe and T. Fujihara. 2003a. Content of phenolics and tannins in leaves and pods of some Acacia and Dichrostachys species and effects on in vitro digestibility. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 12:645-663.
- Salawu, M. B., T. Acamovic, C. S. Stewart and B. Maasdorp. 1997. Assessment of nutritive value of Calliandra calothyrsus: its chemical composition and influence of tannins, pipecolic acid and polyethylene glycol on in vitro organic matter digestibility. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 69:207-217.
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 1990. Official methods of analysis, 15th Edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Makkar, H. P. S. and K. Becker. 1996. A bioassay for polyphenols (tannins). Polyphenols communications 96, July 15-18, Bordenaux (France).
- SAS/Statview. 1999. Using Statview. Statistical Analysis System (SAS) Inc. 3rd Ed.
- Abdulrazak, S. A., E. A. Orden, T. Ichinohe and T. Fujihara. 2000. Chemical composition, phenolic concentration and in vitro gas production characteristics of selected Acacia fruits and leaves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:935-940.
- Blummel, M. and E. R. Orskov. 1993. Comparison of gas production and nylon bag degradability of roughages in predicting feed intake in cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 40:109-119.
- Teguia, A., E. R. Orskov and D. J. Kyle. 1999. A note on ruminal in situ degradability and in vitro gas production of some West African grass species and multipurpose legume tree leaves. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 8:415-424.
- Gonzalez Ronquillo, M., M. Fondevila, A. Barrios Urdaneta and Y. Newman. 1998. In vitro gas production from buffel grass (Cenchrus ciliaris L.) fermentation in relation to the cutting interval, level of nitrogen fertilisation and season of growth. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 72:19-32.
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradation in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to the rate of passage. J. Agri. Sci. 92:499-503.
- Nair, P. V., A. K. Verma, R. S. Dass and U. R. Mehra. 2002. Growth and nutrient utilization in Buffalo calves fed on ureaammoniated wheat straw and hydrochloric acid plus urea treated wheat straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:682-686.
- Norton, B. W. 1994. The nutritive value of tree legumes. In: (Ed. R. C. Gutteridge and H. M. Shelton), Forage Tree Legumes in Tropical Agriculture, CAB international, pp. 177-191.
- Viengsavanh, P. and L. Inger. 2002. Performance of growing goats fed Panicum maximum and leaves of Gliricidia sepium. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1585-1590.
- Marinas, A., R. Garcia-Gonzalez and M. Fondevila. 2003. The nutritive value of five pasture species occurring in the summer grazing ranges of the Pyrenees. Anim. Sci. 76:461-469.
- Getachew, G., H. P. S. Makkar and K. Becker. 2002. Tropical browses: contents of phenolic compounds, in vitro gas production and stoichiometric relationship between short chain fatty acid and in vitro gas production. J. Agric. Sci. 139:341-352.
- Fadel Elseed, A. M. A., A. E. Amin, Khadiga, A. Abdel Ati, J. Sekine, M. Hishinuma and K. Hamana. 2002. Nutritive evaluation of some fodder tree species during the dry season in central Sudan. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:844-850.
- Abdulrazak, S. A., J. Nyangaga and T. Fujihara. 2001. Relative palatability to sheep of some browse species, their in sacco degradability and in vitro gas production characteristics. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1580-1584.
- Makkar, H. P. S. 2000. Quantification of tannins in tree foliage. A laboratory manual for the FAO/IAEA co-ordinated research project on 'Use of Nuclear and Related Techniques to Develop Simple Tannin Assays for Predicting and Improving the Safety and Efficiency of Feeding Ruminants on Tanniniferous Tree foliage'. FAO/IAEA working document IAEA, VIENA (Austria), p. 14.
- Makkar, H. P. S. and K. Becker. 1998. Do tannins in leaves of trees and shrubs from African and Himalayan regions differ in level and activity? Agrofor. Sys. 40:59-68.
- Rubanza, C. D. K., M. N. Shem, R. Otsyina, T. Ichinohe and T. Fujihara. 2003b. Nutritive evaluation of some browse tree legume foliages native to semi-arid areas in western Tanzania. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1429-1437.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (4)
- 2007. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 20(4): 529~535
- 2007. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 20(10): 1551~1556
- 2007. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 20(9): 1367~1373
- 2007. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 20(2): 220~228
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기