Effect of Pasture Finishing on Beef Quality of Japanese Shorthorn Steers
Effect of pasture finishing on $\alpha$ -tocopherol and $\beta$ -carotene concentrations, drip loss, cooking loss, Warner-Bratzler shear force, fatty acid composition, meat color and metmyoglobin percentage of m. longissimus thoracis of Japanese Shorthorn steers was studied. Japanese Shorthorn steers (n=8), fattened indoors with a concentrate-based diet until they were 19 months of age were divided into two groups of four steers. Steers of the concentrate-fed group were fattened indoors with a concentrate-based diet until they were slaughtered. Steers of the pasture-fed group were fattened on pasture until they were slaughtered. The $\alpha$ -tocopherol and $\beta$ -carotene concentrations in the muscle of the pasture-fed group were higher (p
- Cross, H. R., Z. L. Carpenter and G. C. Smith. 1973. Effect of intramuscular collagen and elastin on bovine muscle tenderness. J. Food Sci. 38:998-1003.
- Department of Health 1994. Report on Health and Social Subjects No. 46. Nutritional Aspects of Cardiovascular Disease. Her Majesty's Stationery Office. London.
- Muramoto, T., M. Higashiyama and T. Kondo. 2004a. Comparison of beef color stability during display of two muscles between Japanese Shorthorn steers and Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1303-1308.
- Renerre, M. and J. Bonhomme. 1991. Effect of electrical stimulation, boning temperature and conditioning mode on display colour of beef meat. Meat Sci. 29:191-202.
- Sanders, T. A. B. 1988. Essential and trans-fatty acids in nutrition. Nutrition Research Review 1:57-78.
- Savell, J. W. and H. R. Cross. 1988. The role of fat in the palatability of beef, pork, and lamb. In: Designing foods. Animal product options in the marketplace. National Academy Press, Washington DC. pp. 345-355.
- Mitsumoto, M., S. Ozawa, T. Mitsuhashi and K. Koide. 1998. Effect of dietary vitamin E supplementation for one week before slaughter on drip, colour and lipid stability during display in Japanese Black steer beef. Meat Sci. 49:165-174.
- Yang, A., T. W. Larsen and R. K. Tume. 1992. Carotenoid and retinol concentrations in serum, adipose tissue and liver and carotenoid transport in sheep, goats and cattle. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 43:1807-1809.
- Green, B. E., I. Hsin and M. W. Zipser. 1971. Retardation of oxidative color changes in raw ground beef. J. Food Sci. 36:940-942.
- Renerre, M. 1990. Factors involved in the discoloration of beef meat. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 25:613-630.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
Yang, A., M. J. Brewster, M. C. Lanari and R. K. Tume. 2002. Effect of vitamin E supplementation on
$\alpha$-tocopherol and $\beta$- carotene concentrations in tissues from pasture- and grain-fed cattle. Meat Sci. 60:35-40.
Jukola, E., J. Hakkarainen, H. Saloniemi and S. Sankari. 1996. Effect of fertilization on selenium in feedstuffs and selenium, vitamin E, and
$\beta$-carotene concentrations in blood of cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 79:831-837.
- Mallikarjunan, P. and G. S. Mittal. 1994. Color kinetics during beef carcass chilling. Transactions of the ASAE. 37:203-209.
- Muramoto, T., M. Shibata and N. Nakanishi. 2003b. Effect of slaughter age on beef color stability during display of four muscles from Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1364-1368.
- Bennink, M. R. and K. Ono. 1982. Vitamin B12, E & D content of raw and cooked beef. J. Food Sci. 47:1786-1792.
- French, P., C. Stanton, F. Lawless, E. G. O'Riordan, F. J. Monahan, P. J. Caffrey and A. P. Moloney. 2000. Fatty acid composition, including conjugated linoleic acid, of intramuscular fat from steers offered grazed grass, grass silage, or concentrate based diets. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2849-2855.
- Sanudo, C., M. E. Enser, M. M. Campo, G. R. Nute, G. Maris, I. Sierra and J. D. Wood. 2000. Fatty acid composition and sensory characteristics of lamb carcasses from Britain and Spain. Meat Sci. 54:339-346.
Simonne, A. H., N. R. Green and D. I. Bransby. 1996. Consumer acceptability and
$\beta$-carotene content of beef as related to cattle finishing diets. J. Food Sci. 61:1254-1256.
- Enser, M., K. Hallet, B. Hewitt, G. A. J. Fursey, J. D. Wood and G. Harrington. 1998. Fatty acid content and composition of UK beef and lamb muscle in relation to production system and implications for human nutrition. Meat Sci. 49:329-341.
Muramoto, T., N. Nakanishi, M. Shibata and K. Aikawa. 2003a. Effect of dietary
$\beta$-carotene supplementation on beef color stability during display of two muscles from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 63:39-42.
- Stewart, M. R., M. W. Zipser and B. W. Watts. 1965. The use of reflectance spectrophotometry for the assay of raw meat pigments. J. Food Sci. 30:464-469.
- Varela, A., B. Oliete, T. Moreno, C. Portela, L. Monserrrat, J. A. Carballo and L. Sanchez. 2004. Effect of pasture finishing on the meat characteristics and intramuscular fatty acid profile of steers of the Rubia Gallega breed. Meat Sci. 67:515-522.
- Garton, G. A. 1960. Fatty acid composition of the lipids of pasture grasses. Nature (London) 187:511-512.
- Mitchell, G. E., A. W. Reed and S. A. Rogers. 1991. Influence of feeding regimen on the sensory qualities and fatty acid contents of beef steaks. J. Food Sci. 56:1102-1103.
- Turek, J. J., I. A. Schoenlein, B. A. Watkins, W. G. Vanalstine, L. K. Clark and K. Knox. 1996. Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate responses of pigs to mycoplasma-hyopneumoniae infection. J. Nutr. 126:1541-1548.
- Sanders, S. K., J. B. Morgan, D. M. Wulf, J. D. Tatum, S. N. Williams and G. C. Smith. 1997. Vitamin E supplementation of cattle and shelf-life of beef for the Japanese market. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2634-2640.
- Schaefer, D. M., Q. Liu, C. Faustman and M-C. Yin. 1995. Supranutritional administration of vitamins E and C improves oxidative stability of beef. J. Nutr. 125:1792S-1798S.
- Buckley, D. J., J. I. Gray, A. Asghar, J. F. Price, R. L. Crackel, A. M. Booren, A. M. Pearson and E. R. Miller. 1989. Effects of dietary antioxidants and oxidized oil on membranal lipid stability and pork product quality. J. Food Sci. 54:1193-1197.
- Shahidi, F. 1992. Prevention of lipid oxidation in muscle foods by nitrite and nitrite-free compositions. In: Lipid oxidation in food. ACS Symposium Series 500, Washington DC. pp. 161-182.
- Vestergaard, M., N. Oksbjerg and P. Henckel. 2000. Influence of feeding intensity, grazing and finishing feeding on muscle fiber characteristics and meat color of semitendinosus, longissimus dorsi and supraspinatus muscles of young bulls. Meat Sci. 54:175-185.
- Watanabe, A., C. C. Daly and C. E. Devine. 1996. The effects of the ultimate pH of meat on tenderness changes during ageing. Meat Sci. 42:67-78.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Arnold, R. N., S. C. Arp, K. K. Scheller, S. N. Williams and D. M. Schaefer. 1993. Tissue equilibration and subcellular distribution of vitamin E relative to myoglobin and lipid oxidation in displayed beef. J. Anim. Sci. 71:105-118.
- Folch, J. M., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:495-509.
- Mitsumoto, M., R. N. Arnold, D. M. Schaefer and R. G. Cassens. 1995. Dietary vitamin E supplementation shifted weight loss from drip to cooking loss in fresh beef longissimus during display. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2289-2294.
Muramoto, T., M. Shibata and N. Nakanishi. 2004b. Relationships between muscle
$\alpha$-tocopherol concentrations and metmyoglobin percentages during display of six muscles of Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1014-1018.
- Faustman, C. and R. G. Cassens. 1990. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: A review. J. Muscle Foods 1:217-243.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2008. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 21(10): 1441~1448
- 2008. "" Asian-Australasian journal of animal sciences, 21(10): 1449~1457
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기