Effect of Cotton Leaf Mosaic Disease on Morphology, Yield and Fibre Characteristics of Upland Cotton in Pakistan
The effect of cotton leaf mosaic disease on morphology, yield and fibre characteristics was examined for a susceptible cotton candidate variety CRIS-168. Plants inoculated at most susceptible growth stage (six week) under screen house showed severe mosaic symptoms. There was a significant reduction in plant height and yield. Cotton leaf mosaic disease was found to produce severe effects on plant morphology with 24.1% reduction in plant height, 25% in internode length and 37.5% in number of sympodia on main stem. However no changes were observed against number of monopodial branches per plant. Inoculated plants showed 82% decrease in yield/plant, 80% in number of boll set/ plant, 12.1% in boll weight, 12.8% in lint weight, 10.8% in seed weight, and 6.8% in seed index. Cotton leaf mosaic disease also showed effects on fibre characteristics with 0.8% decrease in GOT and 1.6% in fibre length. In contrast, uniformity ratio, fibre fineness and maturity index was increased by 20.5%, 14.4% and 0.9%, respectively.
- Ahmad, G., Malik, S. A., Mahmood, Z., Iqbal, M. Z., Ahmad, S. and Ahmad, S. 2002. Effect of cotton leaf curl virus disease on morphology, yield and fibre characteristics of susceptible lines /cultivars of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Asi. J. Plant Sci. 6:705-707
- Mahmood T. and Tahir, M. 2001. Cotton leaf mosaic: A new viral disease of cotton. The Pak. Cottongrower 5: 10-11
- Mahmood, T., Tahir, M., Tanvir, M. and Mirza, M. B. 1996. Effect of cotton leaf curl virus on yield components and fibre properties of four commercial varieties. Pak. J. Phytopath. 8:68-70
- Nelson, M. R., Nadeem, A., Ahmad, W. and Orum, T. V. 1998. Global assessment of cotton viral diseases. Proceedings of the Beltwide Cotton Conference 1: 161-162
- Bink, F. A. 1973. A new contribution to the study of cotton mosaic in Chad. I. Symptoms, Transmissions by Bemisia tabaci Genn. II. Observations on B. tabaci. III. Other various diseases on cotton and related plants. Cotton et Fibres Tropicales 28:365-78
- Akhtar, K. P., Khan, A. I. and Khan, M. S. I. 2001. Response of some cotton varieties to leaf curl virus through grafting. Pak. J. Phytopath. 13:91-95
- Fauquet, J. C. and Thouvenel, J. C. 1987. Plant Viral Diseases in the Ivory Coast. Editions de I'ORSTOM, Institute Francais de Recherche Scientifique pour le Development en Cooperation, Paris. 243pp
- Kirkpatrick, T. L. and Rothrock, C. K. 2001. Compendium of cotton diseases. 2nd Edit. The American Phytopathological Society. 3340. Pilot Knob Road, Minnesota U.S.A. p. 100
- Reddall, A., Ali, A., Able, J. A., Stonor, J., Tesoriero, L., Wright, P. R., Rezaian, M. A. and Wilson, L. J. 2004. Cotton bunchy top: an aphid and graft transmitted cotton disease. Aust. Plant Pathology 33: 197 -202
- Brown, J. K., Mihail, J. D. and Nelson, M. R. 1987. Effect of cotton leaf crumple virus on cotton inoculated at different growth stages. Plant Dis. 71:699-703
- Cauquil, J. and Follin, J. C. 1983. Presumed virus and mycoplasma-like organism diseases in sub-Saharan Africa and the rest of the world. Cotton Fibres Tropicales 38:293-317
- Brown, J. K. 1992. Virus diseases of cotton, pages 275-330 in Cotton Diseases. Hillocks RJ, ed. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux International, Oxon, U K. 415 pp
- Ahmad, W., Butt, T. B., Ihsan, J. and Rehman, A. 2003. Natural occurrence of tobacco streak virus in cotton in Pakistan and screening for its resistant sources. Pak. J. Bot. 35:401-408
- ASTM. 1997. Standard test method for measurement of cotton fibre properties by high volume instrument (HVI) ASTM Designation: D 4605-86.Amer.Soc.for Test. and Materials, Philadelphia, USA
- Akhtar, K. P., Haq, M. A., Hussain, M. and Khan, A. I. 2002. Whitefly transmitted geminiviruses and associated disorders in cotton A: Review. Pak. J. Phytopath. 14:140-150
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기