Doxorubicin Productivity Improvement by the Recombinant Streptomyces peucetius with High-Copy Regulatory Genes Cultured in the Optimized Media Composition
Doxorubicin is a clinically important anticancer polyketide compound that is typically produced by Streptomyces peucetius var. caesius. To improve doxorubicin productivity by S. peucetius, a doxorubicin pathway-specific regulatory gene, dnrI, was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid containing a catechol promoter system. The S. peucetius containing the recombinant plasmid exhibited approximately 9.5-fold higher doxorubicin productivity compared with the wild-type S. peucetius. The doxorubicin productivity by this recombinant S. peucetius strain was further improved through the optimization of culture media composition. Based on the Fractional Factorial Design (FFD), cornstarch, $K_2HPO_4$ , and $MgSO_4$ were identified to be the key factors influencing doxorubicin productivity. The Response Surface Method (RSM) results based on 20 independent culture conditions with varying amounts of key factors predicted the highest theoretical doxorubicin productivity of 11.1 mg/l with corn starch of 46.33 g/l, $K_2HPO_4$ of 4.63 g/l, and $MgSO_4$ of 9.26 g/l. The doxorubicin productivity of the recombinant S. peucetius strain with the RSM-based optimized culture condition was experimentally verified to be 11.46 mg/l, which was approximately 30.8-fold higher productivity compared with the wild-type S. peucetius without culture media optimization.
- Berdy, J. 1984. New ways to obtain antibiotics. Chin. J. Antibiot. 7: 272- 290
- Hopwood, D. A., K. F. Chater, J. E. Dowding, and A Vvian. 1973. Advances in Streptomyces coelicolor genetics. Bacteriol. Rev. 37: 371-405
- Hopwood, D. A., T. Kieser, M. J. Bibb, M. J. Buttner, and K. F. Chater. 2000. Practical Streptomyces Genetics. The John Innes Foundation, Norwich, U.K.
- Hwang, Y. S., J. Y. Lee, E. S. Kim, and C. Y. Choi. 2001. Optimization of transformation procedure in avermectin high-producing Streptomyces avermitilis. Biotechnol. Lett. 23: 457-462
- Myers, R. H. and D. C. Montgomery. 1995. Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization using Designed Experiments, 1st Ed. Wiley-Interscience, U.S.A.
- Nicholls, G., B. J. Chark, and J. E. Brown. 1992. Solid-phase extraction and optimized separation of doxorubicin, epirubicin and their metabolites using reverse-phase high performance liquid chromatography. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 10: 949-957
Otten, S. L., J. Ferguson, and C. R. Hutchinson. 1995. Regulation of daunorubicin production in Streptomyces peucetius by the
$dnrR_2$locus. J. Bacteriol. 177: 1216-1224
- Peggy, A. R., P. A. Mcann, M. A. Pentella, and B. M. Pogell. 1979. Simultaneous loss of multiple differentiated functions in aerial mycelium-negative isolates of Streptomyces. J. Bacteriol. 137: 891- 899
- Hamseveni, D. R., S. G. Prapulla, and S. Divakar. 2001. Response surface methodological approach for the synthesis of isobutyl isobutyrate. Proc. Biochem. 36: 1103-1109
- Vetrivel, K. S. and K. Dharmalingam. 2001. Isolation and characterization of stable mutants of Streptomyces peucetius defective in daunorubicin biosynthesis. J. Genet. 80: 31-38
- Park, H. J. and E. S. Kim. 2003. An inducible Streptomyces gene cluster involved in aromatic compound metabolism. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 226: 151- 157
- Volff, J. N. and J. Altenbuchner. 1998. Genetic instability of the Streptomyces chromosome. Mol. Microbiol. 27: 239-246
- Box, G. E. P., W. G. Hunter, and J. S. Hunter. 1978. Statistics for Experimenters, pp. 291- 334. John Wiley and Sons, New York, U.S.A.
- Demain, A. L. 2000. Small bugs, big business: The economic power of the microbe. Biotechnol. Adv. 18: 499- 514
- Elibol, M. and F. Mavituna. 1998. Effect of sucrose on actinorhodin production by Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2). J. Biochem. 33: 307- 311
Chatterjee, S. and L. C. Vining. 1981. Nutrient utilization in actinomycetcs. Induction of
$\alpha-glucosidases$in Streptomyces venezualae. Can. J. Microbiol. 27: 639- 645
- Cochran, W. G. and G. M. Cox. 1957. Experimental Design, 2nd Ed. pp. 346- 354. John Wiley and Sons, New York, U.S.A.
- Kim, C.-Y., H.-J. Park, Y. J. Yoon, H.-Y. Kang, and E.-S. Kim. 2004. Stimulation of actinorhodin production by Streptomyces lividans with a chromosomally-integrated antibiotic regulatory gene afsR2. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 14: 1089-1092
- Stutzman-Engwall, K. J., S. L. Otten, and C. R. Hutchinson. 1992. Regulation of secondary metabolism in Streptomyces spp. and overproduction of daunorubicin in Streptomyces peucetius. J. Bacteriol. 174: 144- 154
- Jung, W.-S., E.-S. Kim, H.-Y. Kang, C.-Y. Choi, D. H. Sherman, and Y. J. Yoon. 2003. Site-directed mutagenesis on putative macrolactone ring size determinant in the hybrid pikrornycin-tylosin polyketide synthase. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13: 823- 827
- Hounsa, C. G., J. M. Aubry, and H. C. Dubourguier. 1996. Application of factorial and Doehlert design for optimization of pectate lyase production by a recombinant Escherichia coli. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 45: 764- 770
- Kim, C.-Y., H.-J. Park, and E.-S. Kim. 2003. Heterologous expression of hybrid type II polyketide synthase system in Streptomyces species. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13: 819-822
- Kalakoutskii, L. V. and N. S. Agre. 1976. Comparative aspects of development and differentiation in actinomycetes. Bacteriol. Rev. 40: 469- 524
- Rao, K. J., C. H. Kim, and S. K. Rhee. 2000. Statistical optimization of medium for the production of recombinant hirudin from Saccharomyces cerevisiae using response surface methodology. Proc. Biochem. 35: 639- 647
- Park, H. S., H. J. Park, Y. H. Kim, S. M. Lim, D. I. Kim, W. S. Ry, and E. S. Kim. 2003. Development of doxorubicin overproducing Streptomyces strain using protoplast regeneration. K. J. Biotech. Bioeng. 18: 289- 293
- Dey, G., A. Mitra, R. Banerjee, and B. R. Maiti. 2001. Enhanced production of amylase by optimization of nutritional constituents using response surface methodology. Biochem. Eng. J. 7: 227- 233
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (10)
- 2006. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 16(11): 1690~1698
- 2006. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 16(9): 1338~1346
- 2006. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 16(9): 1472~1476
- 2006. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 16(9): 1477~1480
- 2007. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 17(12): 1996~2004
- 2007. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 17(9): 1538~1545
- 2007. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 17(2): 305~312
- 2007. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 17(3): 534~538
- 2009. "" Journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 19(2): 136~139
- Kim, Chang-Young ; Noh, Jun-Hee ; Lee, Han-Na ; Kim, Eung-Soo 2009. "Functional Analysis of an Antibiotic Regulatory Gene, afsR2 in S. lividans through DNA microarray System" KSBB Journal, 24(3): 259~266
저자의 다른 논문
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기