FIBER OPTIC SENSOR FOR IN-SITU AND REALTIME MONITORING OF TRANSPORT OF GAS PHASE OZONE IN UNSATURATED POROUS MEDIA
A series of column experiments was conducted to develop a monitoring system for in-situ and realtime measurement of ozone transport in unsaturated porous media using a fiber optic sensor. The calibration of the fiber optic transflection dip probe (FOTDP) system was successfully carried out at various ozone concentrations using a column with length of 30 cm and diameter of 5 cm packed with glass beads, which don't react with gaseous ozone. The breakthrough curves (BTCs) of ozone were obtained by converting the normalized intensity into ozone concentration. The FOTDP system worked well for in-situ monitoring of gas phase ozone at various water saturations and in presence of soil organic matter (SOM). However, the FOTDP system did not measure the ozone concentration at more than 70% water saturation.
- Hwang, S., Min, K.-S. and Curtright, C. J., 'PAH biodegradation in soil-water suspensions contaminated with waste oil,' Environ. Eng. Res., 9, 1-12 (2004)
- Hsu, I. and Masten, S. J., 'The kinetics of the reaction of ozone with phenanthrene in unsaturated soils,' Environ. Eng. Science, 14, 207-217 (1997)
- Masten, S. J. and Davies, S. H. R., 'Efficacy of in-situ ozonation for the remediation of PAH-contaminated soils,' J. Contam. Hydrol., 28, 327-335 (1997)
- Nam, K. and Kukor, J. J., 'Combined ozonation and biodegradation for remediation of mixtures of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil,' Biodegradation, 11, 1-9 (2000
- Choi, H., Lim, H. N., Kim, J. Y. and Cho, J., 'Oxidation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by ozone in the presence of sand,' Water Sci. Technol., 43, 349-356 (2001)
- Choi, H., Lim, H. N., Kim, J., Hwang, T. M. and Kang, J. W., 'Transport characteristics of gas phase ozone in unsaturated porous media for in-situ chemical oxidation,' J. Contain Hydrol., 57, 81-98 (2002)
- Lim, H. N., Choi, H., Hwang, T. M. and Kang, J., 'Characterization of ozone decomposition in a soil slurry: kinetics and mechanism,' Water Res., 36, 219-229 (2002)
- ESTCP, Technology status review, in situoxidation, DAC39-99-C-002, Environmental Security Technology Certification Program, U.S. Department of Defense, Washington D.C (1999)
- Nimmer, M. A., Wayner, B. D. and Morr, A.A., 'In-situ ozonation of contaminated groundwater,' Environmental Process, 19, 183-197 (2000)
- Hsu, J. and Masten, S. J., 'Mathematical modeling and column studies of gaseous ozone in unsaturated soil,' J. Environ. Eng., 127, 546-554 (2001)
- Jung, H., Kim, J. and Choi, H., 'Reaction kinetics of ozone in variably saturated porous media,' J. Environ. Eng., 130, 432-441 (2004)
- Chudyk, W. A., Carraba, M. C; and Kenny, J. E., 'Remote detection of groundwater contaminants using far-ultraviolet laser induced fluorescene,' Anal. Chem., 57, 1237-1242 (1985)
- Reichert, J., Sellien, W. and Ache, H. J., 'Development of a fiber-optic sensor for the detection of ammonium in environmental waters,' Sens. Actuators, A, 25, 481-482 (1991)
- Dybko, A., Maciejewski, J., Brzozka, Z., Wroblewski, W. and Romaniuk, R. S., 'Application of optical fibres in oxidationreduction titrations,' Sens. Actuators, E, 29, 374-377 (1995)
- Ghodrati, M., 'Point measurement of solute transport processes in soil using fiber optic sensors,' Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 63, 471-479 (1999)
- Ghodrati, M., Garrido, F., Campbell, C. G. and Chendorain, M., 'A multiplexed fiber optic miniprobe system for measuring solute transport in soil,' J. Environ. Qual., 29, 540-550 (2000)
- Ge, Z., Brown, C. W. and Albert, J. J., 'Infrared fiber optic sensor for petroleum,' Environ. Sci. Technol., 29, 878-882 (1995)
- Lee, B., 'Review of the present status of optical fiber sensors,' Optical fiber technology, 9, 57-79 (2003)
- Miller, C. M., Valentine, R. L., Roehl, M. E. and Alvarez, P. J. J., 'Chemical and microbiological assessment of pendimethalincontaminated soil after treatment with Fenton's reagent,' Water Res., 30, 2579- 2586 (1996)
- Kim, J. and Choi, H., 'Modeling in situ ozonation for the remediation of nonvolatile PAH-contaminated soils,' J. Contam. Hydrol., 55, 261-185 (2002)
- NDSL :
- 대한환경공학회 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기