High-Performance Synchronization for Circuit Emulation in an Ethernet MAN
Ethernet is being deployed in metropolitan area networks (MANs) as a lower-cost alternative to SONET-based infrastructures. MANs are usually required to support common communication services, such as voice and frame relay, based on legacy synchronous TDM technology in addition to asynchronous packet data transport. This paper addresses the clock synchronization problem that arises when transporting synchronous services over an asynchronous packet infrastructure, such as Ethernet. A novel algorithm for clock synchronization is presented combining time-stamp methods used in the network time protocol (NTP) with signal processing techniques applied to measured packet interarrival times. The algorithm achieves the frequency accuracy, stability, low drift, holdover performance, and rapid convergence required for viable emulation of TDM circuit services over Ethernet.
- ？International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Telecommunication Standardization Sector, 'The control of jitter and wonder within digital net？works which are based on the 1544 kbits/s hierarchy,' ITU-T Recommendation G.824, Mar. 2000
- ？S. Bregni, 'A historical perspective on telecommunications network synchronization,' IEEE Cornman. Mag., vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 158-166, June 1998
- ？C.-S. Li and Y. Ofek, 'Distributed source-destination synchronization using inband clock distribution,' IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 153-161, Jan. 1996
- ？H. M. Ahmed and M. G. Hluchyj, 'ATM circuit emulation - a comparison of recent techniques,' in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM'91, 1991, pp. 370-374
- ？W. C. Lindsey and C. M. Chie, 'A survey of digital phase-locked loops,' Proc. IEEE, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 410-431, Apr. 1981
- ？D. L. Mills, 'Modeling and analysis of computer network clocks,' Electrical Engineering Report 92-5-2, University of Delaware, May 1992
- ？R. M. Metcalfe and D. R. Boggs, 'Ethernet: Distributed packet switching for local computer networks,' Commun. of the ACM, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 395-404, July 1976
- ？D. L. Mills, 'Adaptive hybrid clock discipline algorithm for the network time protocol,' IEEE/ACMTrans. Networking, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 505-514, Oct. 1998
- ？A. Chapman and H. T. Kung, 'Enhancing transport networks with Internet protocols,' IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 100-101, May 1998
- ？International Telecommunications Union, 'B-ISDN ATM adaptation layer specification: Type 1 AAL,' ITU- T 1.363, Aug. 1996
- ？S. Floyd and V. Jacobson, 'Link-sharing and resource management models for packet networks,' IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 365-386, Aug. 1995
- ？D. L. Mills, 'Improved algorithms for synchronizing computer network clocks,' IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 245-254, June 1995
- ？American National Standard Institute, 'Synchronization interface standard,' ANSI T1.101-1994, Feb. 1994
- ？Pseudo Wire Emulation Edge to Edge (pwe3), http://www.ietf.org/html. charters/pwe3 -charter. html
- ？A. V. Oppenheim and R. W. Shaffer, Discrete-Time Signal Processing, Prentice Hall, 1989
- ？B. G. Goldberg, 'Programmable fractional-N frequency synthesizer,' U.S. Patent 5,223,132, Jan. 1992
- ？J. Babcock, 'Sonet: A practical perspective,' Business Commun. Review, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 59-63, Sept. 1990
- ？L. Breslau et aI., 'Advances in network simulation,' Computer, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 59-67, May 2000
- ？C. L. Phillips and H. T. Nagle, Digital Control Systems, Analysis and Design, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, 1990
- ？D. L. Mills, 'On the accuracy and stability of clocks synchronized by the network time protocol in the Internet system,' ACM Comput. Commun. Review, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 65-75, Jan. 1990
- ？R. Nora, M. Hamdi, and J. P. Hubaux, 'Circuit emulation over IP networks,' in Proc. IFIP TC6 WG6.1 & WG6.4 / IEEE ComSoc TC on on Gigabit Networking 6-th International Workshop on Protocols for High Speed Networks VI, Aug. 1999, pp. 187-201
- ？Motorola, 'PowerQUICC II integrated communications processor family,' Motorola Fact Sheet, Rev. 3, 2001
- Metro Ethernet Forum, http://www.metroethernetforum.org
- ？R. C. Lau and P. E. Fleischer, 'Synchronous techniques for timing recovery in BISDN,' IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 43, no. 234, pp. 1810-1818, Feb./Mar./Apr. 1995
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기